Question about Soundtoys plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

djanthonyw wrote:Little Plate is probably the best dedicated plate reverb available. Definitely worth it as far as I’m concerned. It’s the only reverb I’ve used on this mix:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... stcount=24

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachm ... w-mix-.mp3
Agreed, probably the best dedicated reverb. Little plate is an amazing reverb.

Don't expect it to have anything near the flexibility of any of the Valhalla plugins or Breeze, but that's not why they made Little Plate. This is a model of an EMT 140 plate (and apparently they worked from 5 different actual EMT 140 plate reverbs to get the sound of Little Plate).

They also expanded the capabilities of the plate by allowing for longer and shorter decay times than what an actual EMT 140 plate can do, plus an infinite mode (max decay) and modulation (switched on/of).

I have Valhalla Plate and Abbey Road Reverb Plates (Waves) but I most often use Little Plate. You can get close to the sound using Valhalla Plate and even closer with Abbey Roads Plates, but the Abbey Roads plugin is heavy on CPU while Little Plate is very light to use. My opinion has evolved on using this over time as I wasn't a big fan when it was first released, but again, this is the one I reach for the most now followed by Valhalla Plate.

If you buy Little Plate, just keep in mind that you are buying a very specific sounding reverb, but for my use there's nothing wrong with it because it just sounds great.

axb312 wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:Little Plate is probably the best dedicated plate reverb available. Definitely worth it as far as I’m concerned. It’s the only reverb I’ve used on this mix:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... stcount=24

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachm ... w-mix-.mp3
Did you pay 29 bucks for it? :)
No, I got it with the whole bundle.
You are currently reading my signature.

It's not going to be free again. Most of the little plug-ins are given away as introductory offers for a limited time. So your choices are to pay the $29 it's more than worth, wait for it to go back to the still pretty decent regular price ($49) or get the bundle.
Or maybe get it second hand from the market place.

I think all the SoundToys stuff is worth it, I use something from the bundle on every track. Little Alter Boy is a revelation on vocals, and things like PanMan (which I didn't expect to use much) are in constant rotation. I have "better" filters but FilterFreak gets used the most since it's so easy to dial in. Saturation across the range is beautiful. Didn't really "get" Sie-Q until a few days ago, its strengths come into play the harder you push it.

Winstontaneous wrote:Didn't really "get" Sie-Q until a few days ago, its strengths come into play the harder you push it.
Can you expand on that, push what, where, what happens exactly?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:Didn't really "get" Sie-Q until a few days ago, its strengths come into play the harder you push it.
The plugin offers saturation so you need a gain stage to use it - which is provided by the Drive parameter.

Unaspected wrote:
Zexila wrote:
The plugin offers saturation so you need a gain stage to use it - which is provided by the Drive parameter.
So nice shelf curve and harmonic distortion in nutshell, thank you. :tu:

Anyone compared saturation aspect to Klanghelm SDDR?
Last edited by Zexila on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Did they ever release a "regular" plate reverb? It surprises me that they didn't build up on Little Plate, because it's one of the best plate reverbs i ever heard. Only lacks a pre-delay parameter for me.

chk071 wrote:Did they ever release a "regular" plate reverb? It surprises me that they didn't build up on Little Plate, because it's one of the best plate reverbs i ever heard. Only lacks a pre-delay parameter for me.
No, AFAIK. I wonder if they're working on a big update?

ghettosynth wrote:
chk071 wrote:Did they ever release a "regular" plate reverb? It surprises me that they didn't build up on Little Plate, because it's one of the best plate reverbs i ever heard. Only lacks a pre-delay parameter for me.
No, AFAIK. I wonder if they're working on a big update?
I would love to see a larger version of both Little Plate and Little Alterboy. These guys seem to chart their own course when it comes to major upgrades and releases. I'm not complaining because what I have works, but it's hard not to get excited about what might be included in a larger version if one were to be released.

I got them for free (the distortion, alter boy, sie-q, little, plate,and that neat old digital delay) , but 29 bucks is pretty cheap for a plugin. I personally didn’t find anything too special with them, except the reverb and the delay, and I have other alternatives for both that I like a bit more. I think they are all definitely very well written DSP, and worth 29 bucks for sure, with the downside being, limited functionality, iLok, and a bit heavier cpu consumption than you might expect.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Effects”