Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

I'm looking for a free alternative of Renassaince Compressor. (I tried to search here but nothing found)
This is important for me, because:
-RComp is able to work under 1.0 Ratio (0.5 < )
-Simple, transparent UI (Just a threshold, Gain, Ratio, Attack and Release. I don't need more :) )

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-kotelnikov/

Reacomp by Reaper......maybe.

Ren Comp is quite good. It has a dark color and drop dead simple. The two above are a bit more complex but should get your in the ballpark.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Tokyo Dawn Labs are the best by a long shot. In many ways, superior to the Ren Comp.

Rcomp has more character but Kotelniikov is a modern marvel in terms of transparency. Seriously, do yourself a favor and just pick a preset, ignore all of the buttons except for ratio, attack, release.

Consider all of the other buttons and controls "decorations." They're not hurting anything at their default settings. If you don't get this compressor while it's free, you'll regret it later. It's that good.
Last edited by badass_billy on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's true that there are no free compressors with ratios inferior to 1 (unless you're talking about an expander), but there are many good free compressors out there, here's my list:

1) Clean:
a) TDR Kotelnikov: my go-to compressor and the most transparent free compressor ever (it's a mastering compressor after all). CPU-hungry.
b) ReaComp: It has a lot of features and uses almost no CPU. Just watch your output as this compressor always rises it like 1dB, and it's "antialiasing" or "AA" is useless.
c) Dead Duck Compressor: the most simple of this category and not very well known, but it sounds pretty good.

2) With color:
a) Vlad G Molot: a beast with a really good color and tons of features. Usually my go-to compressor when I need more "agression". CPU-hungry depending on how much oversampling you use.
b) TDR NOVA: it doesn't have "analog color" but it sounds smooth and unlike Kotelnikov (in its free version) it has side-chain compression. CPU-hungry.
c) Audio Damage Rough Rider 2: another good one with agressive color and it's the less CPU-hungry in this category, just be careful with the tone of your track because this compressor cuts the highs from 10K.
d) AdHd Audio Tools Leveling Tool: this one has more of a warm sound and it was inpired in the LA-2A but with Attack, Release, Ration, Dry/Wet, Side-chain HPF and Distortion knobs. It uses oversampling/antialiasing internally so it can CPU-hungry sometimes.

3) With color and simple:
1) Klanghelm DC1A3: usually a fast attack and auto-release compressor with a very nice color, and the 4 buttons under the knobs can change it's attack, release, ratio and even activate a side-chain HPF.
2) Klangheml MJUCjr: like the first one is mainly two knobs and it's color (IMO) it's similar to an LA-2A. It has three speed variations.
3) Sonic Anomaly S.L.A.X. : another little thing inspired by an LA-2A but with three different colors to choose from (if you click on the "+" button at the right top) but all of them sound kinda dark. It's attack it's never faster than 20ms and the release behavior is almost like a real LA-2A.

I'd give all my plugins a facelift if i was Waves. I'm not an overly visual guy, but... these really look as if they were from the last millenium. People are very sensitive in that regard nowadays, and, i'm sure quite a few more people would grab them, if they had a more modern graphical interface.

Totally unrelated to the original question, of course.

Thank you so much guys, I'll test every possible solution what you posted here :)

badass_billy wrote:Tokyo Dawn Labs are the best by a long shot. In many ways, superior to the Ren Comp.
Tokyo Dawn stuff is decent for sure, but I'm not a fan of the knob behavior. One has to put way too much pressure to get the knobs to turn and for me it's frustrating to use. If it was smoother, it would be in my top 10 but as it stands now, I can't recommend. :shrug:

Russell Grand wrote:I'm not a fan of the knob behavior.
Seriously? Knob behavior?

heavymetalmixer wrote:It's true that there are no free compressors with ratios inferior to 1 (unless you're talking about an expander), but there are many good free compressors out there, here's my list:
We just had this conversation, what else would it mean? In RennComp that's exactly what it is, from the manual:
Adjusts the compression or expansion ratio for signal above Threshold. The Renaissance Compressor ratio covers a
wide range of compression ratios (1.01:1 to 50.0:1), as well as expansion ratios (0.99:1 to 0.50:1). The Ratio fader is
beside the Gain meter.
ReaXcomp does exactly the same thing. This is upward expansion, FWIW.

ghettosynth wrote:
heavymetalmixer wrote:It's true that there are no free compressors with ratios inferior to 1 (unless you're talking about an expander), but there are many good free compressors out there, here's my list:
We just had this conversation, what else would it mean? In RennComp that's exactly what it is, from the manual:
Adjusts the compression or expansion ratio for signal above Threshold. The Renaissance Compressor ratio covers a
wide range of compression ratios (1.01:1 to 50.0:1), as well as expansion ratios (0.99:1 to 0.50:1). The Ratio fader is
beside the Gain meter.
ReaXcomp does exactly the same thing. This is upward expansion, FWIW.
Mmm, gotta check out ReaXComp then, tbh given that I have NOVA I never use it, but expansion/upwards compression makes it interesting.

Btw people, Dead Duck also has an expander and Sonic Anomaly too.

chk071 wrote:I'd give all my plugins a facelift if i was Waves. I'm not an overly visual guy, but... these really look as if they were from the last millenium. People are very sensitive in that regard nowadays, and, i'm sure quite a few more people would grab them, if they had a more modern graphical interface.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one funnily enough. In my opinion they actually don't look that bad for how old they are. Particularly the Renaissance series. Could they use resizeability? Yeah. Definitely. Other than that, I can't think of any that really look ugly or severely dated to my eyes. I give Waves a lot of credit for that. They were like really ahead of their time in that respect.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Orbit-50 wrote:
chk071 wrote:I'd give all my plugins a facelift if i was Waves. I'm not an overly visual guy, but... these really look as if they were from the last millenium. People are very sensitive in that regard nowadays, and, i'm sure quite a few more people would grab them, if they had a more modern graphical interface.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one funnily enough. In my opinion they actually don't look that bad for how old they are. Particularly the Renaissance series. Could they use resizeability? Yeah. Definitely. Other than that, I can't think of any that really look ugly or severely dated to my eyes. I give Waves a lot of credit for that. They were like really ahead of their time in that respect.
Well there's no accounting for taste LOL! I'm totally with chk071 on this, the renn plugins not only win fugly award, they also have weird issues with their U/I code that have come up more than once when trying to automate parameters. IIRC, the most egregious of these manifested while automating one of the rennEQs. That is, the automation of the parameter caused weird audio glitching. Not a problem with other more modern EQs, e.g., izotope, or even Waves Hybrid EQ.

That code is old and needs a makeover. I don't get the love TBH, I don't think a single one of those plugins is sonically, let alone visually, comparable to quite a number of modern plugins.

Return to “Effects”