What's your go-to Master Limiter?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mathematics,

Which genre do you use which limiter for and why?

EDM: (clipper)>L2 or (clipper)>Ozone Maximizer
The reason I use the L2 after a clipper is because I get less pumping and the L2 really works way better. In my opinion, the L2 works better if you can get the gain reduction to around 3db at most. Sometimes I'll put an L1 doing about 0.5-1.0db of GR right before the L2.
The reason I state the Maximizer is because I put both on the Master Buss, and listen carefully how each one sounds on the material it's on. Whichever one sounds better is the one that wins. Usually, those two have sounded the best as compared to the L1, L3-16, Pro-L, and ML4000.

Orchestral: L3-16
I like the results with this one simply because it's one of the few dynamic limiters that sounds transparent even when it's pushed. The other reason is because for orchestral, you really don't want a wide band limiter because what makes Orchestral music sound natural is maintaining the dynamics of the performance. For the record, the only other alternative multiband limiter that I think is worthy enough to mention is...the ProAudioDSP DSM V2. I know what some of you are thinking..."what?!" Well, the DSM V2 and I have a little history together on Voice Over work. Actually, I kind of accidentally stumbled on it while looking for a Dynamic DeEsser, and then...read the manual! That's what did it for me. Then I started using it to kind of cheat the mastering process. Now, I don't do that crap anymore but it is something of a magical plugin. I'm digressing.

Voice-Overs: Ozone Maximizer
I'll be honest. I use this one because it's already there on the plugin chain and I don't really need anything else. The difference in quality between anything else and the Maximizer for VO work, is absolutely negligible. I add the slightest bit of compression after the vocal rider, then use the Maximizer to catch intersample peaks (which are rare). Most of the time, there is no gain reduction or at minimal, like 1 db. My RMS is between -12db and -8db throughout the dialogue. To be honest, if it sounds a little harsh, the RMS changes, not the peaks.

Anyway, I think this a lot more than I should have written.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

That would be Brickwall Limiter from IKM. Part of TRacks.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

+1 for Ozone8 Maximizer (especially in connection with the other Ozone plugins) for it‘s convenience.
Last edited by martinjuenke on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

FAB L2 is my choice because it displays so many things and it’s easy to use
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Mathematics wrote:Anyway, I think this a lot more than I should have written.
Thanks a lot for it, I hope it is informative for others in the thread too.

Stealh limiter

I don't do gain reduction on the master bus. I have used one limiter there in my digital era, the limiter in Vienna Suite, for overload protection. It's transparent. This thread reminded me that I haven't put one on lately.

I made something last year which really pushed it, a deliberately noisy track and I really needed that overload protection finally.

Once with a track I found that, having forget to do this, I liked the raw transients on the lead guitar and drums and decided it wasn't to be a regular thing, the overload protection. I abhor the very idea of gain reduction per se at the master out (for my music). I want to deal with compression and that whole area individually.
I'm as far as you can get from EDM ideations of mixing.

For those who are okay with a little hard/soft clipping, Hornet has a really good dual-stage limiter that includes a clip stage. And it's on sale for less than a McDonalds' Happy meal.

https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/h ... agnus-mk2/

PSP Xenon
Toneboosters Barricade
Izotope Ozone

All used sparingly.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

TB Barricade 4 :tu:
No auto tune...

Now I'm just using Ozone Elements Maximizer. :)

Fabfilter pro-l2 for sure. sometimes Toneboosters barricade too.

Thanks to those who gave T-RackS Stealth Limiter a shout out. Glad to hear you're getting great results with it.

If recordings are good and the mix are good, the Sonalksis/Sienda MaxLimit it's enough... ;-)

Return to “Effects”