Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm on the hunt but feeling like I'm missing some, so far;

Slick eq's
Fab-filter pro-q
Red-line eq
Melda production eq's

Anything else? I know some gives manual values to adjust gain but I'm looking for instant adjusting ones.

Nova & Nova GE
Toneboosters Eq 3 & Eq 4 (per-band option)
Luftikus

I’m assuming you mean automatic adjustment of the output level relative to the loss of energy removed by the filter and not a dynamic per band adjustment based on the input. This isn’t super common And most of the plugins that I’ve tried that do this often get it wrong or are constantly moving the output level around.

Anyhow I’d go with Melda dynamic EQ if you feel it’s that it’s a useful feature. You’ll also get a very good EQ with static and dynamic modes that are extremely flexible. Plus Their auto gain thing works okay.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote:I....
Hey Ah_Dziz, yeah I need a steady output for mastering thanks for clarifying.

When trying the free eq from melda, the agc caused the audio to work as if I inserted and expander. Probably it was designed for short, specific parts of an audio file but because I keep jumping around when listening its not going to be the most comfortable option. Too bad as I really like Melda stuff :tu:

1) TDR NOVA
2) TDR SlickEQ
3) Luftikus
4) Melda MEquializer

Now, I wanna clear two points:
1) The MEqualizer autogain sucks hard, just like it was already stated in this thread.

2) From experience I don't recommend auto-gain unless you're mastering. Why? Let me put two examples:

a) You cut some lows with a HPF so there's more space for the kick and bass in that area. What happens now? The plugin turns the volume of the track up making the rest of the frequency spectrum louder, so this tracks adds way more mud than before and it could even fight with many other tracks.

b) You add som top-end to an acoustic guitar so it sounds "more polished", and it already has a very nice warm and body to it. What happens now? The plugin turns down the track making it brigt but thin and "weak" when you play the mix.

EQ is about balacing frequencies through the entire mix, so you need that every frequency range you manipulate stays the way you want. It's better if you don't forget the rol of every track in the mix and before you do any process you use the mixing engineer's best tools:

The fader and the gain/trim plugin.

PD: NOVA is my go-to EQ.

Have a look at Brainworx bx_DynEQ v2 ... I've had some good results with it.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... eq_v2.html

I’d go with Melda. Use the set feature and not the auto gain compensation. The AGC will move the volune up and down while the music is playing which isn’t what you want most of the time. The set feature will analyze about 3 sec of audio and the set the output, so they are equal in volume. It works fairly well, but don’t expect miracles.

DMG Audio: EQuillibrium.

Acon Equalize, too. It's a good feature (I especially like auto-gain EQ on reverb sends) but definitely not something I want active all the time.

I'm the developer behind Crave EQ - I just added auto gain compensation along with a couple of other new features a few of days ago so I hope you don't mind me giving it a mention :-) The technique I used applies a gain adjustment based on the EQ curve and not the source material so the gain only changes if you tweak the filter bands. I think this is the more common approach although each developer's implementation and the resulting gain is likely to vary a little as there is no standard way to do it. As others have pointed out, an alternative is an EQ where the gain compensation varies based on the source material. Happy to share more information on how I approached gain compensation if anyone is interested. Hope you find something you're looking for anyway.

hey everyone just wanted to say thank you for all the suggestions.

I'm currently on a vacation but did check some plug-ins with a vst analyzer (I still have the old buddle one).

One thing I noticed was as a fan of free soneq and voxengo harmonieq though bell filters not much of a problem couldn't replicate some of the shelve curves. The TDR as mechanics still seems best but haven't been satisfied yet with sounds. Anyway, as said I haven't tried them all yet but curious so suggestions are still welcome.

Melda's auto gain is horrible. TDR and Luftikus work really well (I use this function with all TDR EQ's all the time). And I think it's a great function especially for mastering, because if you're "almost there" but want to add another EQ with almost equal output when adjusted,
without feeding the limiter more than before, it gives you a pretty good impression of the change in spectrum.

don't go for melda. it's auto-gain feature didn't work with anything here. fabfilter or toneboosters are always a very good 1st choice.

Return to “Effects”