bx_delay 2500

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nevermind ;)
Last edited by Roman Wisniak on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
c_voltage wrote:. What about post above, no, i would not say that it's a usual shit, there is some interesting moments inside.
I think the post above is referring to Excalibur not bx_delay
Hm, from why that conclusion ? (he said about vaucher for example etc)

Its a good delay if you got it free and activated it... then your net went down forever when you were lookin for a diff free delay and your daw aint got any built in options. Yea man its my desert island delay plug cus its all that washed up on shore ahahahaha

So with the voucher that brought it down to $49 plus my coupon code, I decided to demo it, and ultimately passed. The clutter it creates in my plugin list simply isn't worth what it brings. Note that my existing delays are the major factor in this decision (and I just bought Colour Copy), so your mileage may vary.

The delay time modulation is perhaps the most interesting aspect. It doesn't do pitch shifting like you'd expect. It's smoothed where the waveform edges aren't abrupt. Here's a sine wave with the time modulated up:

Overview of Setup:
Sine-Setup.PNG
Wet Zoom:
Sine-Zoom.PNG
I personally don't like this approach and how it sounds. It does, however, have a built-in flanger and chorus modulator so you don't necessarily need to automate the delay time.

My other main gripe is the skeuomorphism adherence. I don't mind knobs but wherever you place the mouse is literally how the knob turns, as if it were your fingertip. It slows down my workflow, compared to clicking anywhere on a button and dragging down means less and up means more. Moving a mouse in a circular motion is more complex than it has to be. Given my other, faster, options, I'm not going to reach for this.

I will say the post processing chain is very nice sounding. Most of it is tuned by ear. I can't think of another delay with a mono crossover. Wet Solo button is thoughtful. Sync option is really far from delay time but I understand it's grouped with the other buttons. But the fundamental delay is frankly not useful to me and it's too bothersome to use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yellowmix wrote:My other main gripe is the skeuomorphism adherence. I don't mind knobs but wherever you place the mouse is literally how the knob turns, as if it were your fingertip. It slows down my workflow, compared to clicking anywhere on a button and dragging down means less and up means more. Moving a mouse in a circular motion is more complex than it has to be. Given my other, faster, options, I'm not going to reach for this.
Circular motion what? Knobs on mine work like all the bx plugs kinda like a xy pad... linear up and right do +... down and left do -... no option to change that but it aint circular

It depends on if the mouse is left or right of the middle of the knob. Left of the middle of the knob you need to move up, right of the middle of the knob you need to move down. But! The range of motion also depends on how far you are from the knob center. The closer you are to the center, the less fine-grained the movement.

Either way, changing mouse direction to follow the way the knob turns is an extra step I will be doing repeatedly that I don't have to do in other plugins. Good to know all the bx plugins do this.

after the flash mailing i gave the demo a whirl... not impressed at all... even for $49 lol took less than a day to uninstall it. i'll just stick with Echoboy
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

yellowmix wrote:It depends on if the mouse is left or right of the middle of the knob. Left of the middle of the knob you need to move up, right of the middle of the knob you need to move down. But! The range of motion also depends on how far you are from the knob center. The closer you are to the center, the less fine-grained the movement.

Either way, changing mouse direction to follow the way the knob turns is an extra step I will be doing repeatedly that I don't have to do in other plugins. Good to know all the bx plugins do this.
Man thats weird af that aint how it works for me. I click anywhere on a knob and up or right means more and down or left means less. Got a kinda f*cked up conflict doin diagnal but it aint like I gotta click some part of a button to make it do that.

Hey if you still got any plugin alliance plugs installed they might wanna see it do what you said. Cus that just aint right.

If this is like the other Plugin Alliance offerings: Hold Alt whilst manipulating a parameter to get expected behaviour - and hold Shift to fine tune. I don't know why Alt couldn't be the default method as moving the mouse around the pot is probably not good for RSI and just doesn't feel natural to me.

Otherwise. Meh. Another delay plugin.

Hard to even consider this one to buy. In recent months I've got Melda SpectralDelay for FREE, d16 Sigmunt for FREE and I have Unfiltered Audio Sandman Pro from PA (+ few smaller delays). I think that my delay plugin desire is covered for next 20 years 8)

Demoed this as well but I keep getting weird latency on the dry signal. In any case it's nothing special. As noted by several others the delay field is extremely well served these days. New delays need something unique or truly outstanding in order to rise above the pack. Nothing much to see here.

Armagibbon wrote:Man thats weird af that aint how it works for me. I click anywhere on a knob and up or right means more and down or left means less. Got a kinda f*cked up conflict doin diagnal but it aint like I gotta click some part of a button to make it do that.

Hey if you still got any plugin alliance plugs installed they might wanna see it do what you said. Cus that just aint right.
Plugin Alliance plugins have different developers. It looks like this behavior is specific to brainworx and Elysia. Unfiltered Audio, Fiedler, and Dear Reality have my expected up-down knob behavior. I'm on Windows 10 so perhaps you're on another platform?
Unaspected wrote:If this is like the other Plugin Alliance offerings: Hold Alt whilst manipulating a parameter to get expected behaviour - and hold Shift to fine tune. I don't know why Alt couldn't be the default method as moving the mouse around the pot is probably not good for RSI and just doesn't feel natural to me.
Thanks! That works for both brainworx and Elysia. Even if it weren't the default, there should be an option button for it.

tried the demo, can't press the mouse button after the delay Plugin opens in ableton - until i hide the delay plugin window in ableton, than i am able to press the mouse button again and to switch presets. I had to press 100 times to authorize the demo :(
So i have to minimize the guy of the delay all the time. I have no problems with other PA / BX Plugins, also demoing SSL E / G withiut this effect. On bitwig the delay works without this error. So Ableton 1.02 on Win 10 only.
From the delay itself i am also not very impresed. I already bought the u-he colour, which impressed me realy much :)

yellowmix wrote:It depends on if the mouse is left or right of the middle of the knob. Left of the middle of the knob you need to move up, right of the middle of the knob you need to move down. But! The range of motion also depends on how far you are from the knob center. The closer you are to the center, the less fine-grained the movement.

Devs, this is a fail. There's no way to justify this as anything but an option in 2018. If you don't want to code the option, knobs are linear motion, and up/down at that.

yellowmix wrote:Plugin Alliance plugins have different developers. It looks like this behavior is specific to brainworx and Elysia. Unfiltered Audio, Fiedler, and Dear Reality have my expected up-down knob behavior. I'm on Windows 10 so perhaps you're on another platform?
Runnin win 10 here 2 got the plugs hosted in cubase. You on reaper? Looks it but I cant tell from the pics I aint all that savvy fam...

See the knob behavior I get in cubase aint that bad. Click anywhere on the button and if I go right and up Im gonna get increased values. Opposite for down and left. Now say I go up and left? Nothin happens or shit gets real tweaky. Same for down and right. Nothin special bout where I click on the thing. Holdin alt dont change a thing either. Only diff w/ unfiltered is that they do nothin on left and right... only changes if I move up or down.

Think its a prob w/ the plugs and your host?

Return to “Effects”