Windows 1803

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As it was with 1709, the latest update to Windows has wreaked havoc with authorizations. It took a hour for elicenser to get straightened out, what with the database cleanup, and ilok is pokey and twitchy at best. Melodyne worked then it didn’t and now won’t go back on past trial mode. Still no luck in getting isotope anything to authorize (it says it is both, authorized and not authorized) and I cannot even get modular to fire up enough to know what it’s doing, although, eventually ilok complained that it somehow became network-ized, which it doesn’t like, and doing what it recommended (unplugging it and plugging it back in) fixed a world of hurt, including isotope, Melodyne, and modular. Tracktion instruments seem to not be able to phone home, but the daw was. T9 seems to have become allergic to Poseidon after the os upgrade; before, it was fine. Cantabile lost its mind for a while, but eventually came back to its senses, when I could find my serial number. Engine 2 can’t remember its name, let alone its authorizations. Your mileage may vary, but gah.
Boo-Frickety-Hoo.
-Dr. Evil

Yep us Windows 10 users do get a kick in the head everytime Microsoft put out a halfass'd update (which has been every major update since Windows 98)...

You can very easily turn the updates off!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

brewt wrote:As it was with 1709, the latest update to Windows has wreaked havoc with authorizations. It took a hour for elicenser to get straightened out, what with the database cleanup, and ilok is pokey and twitchy at best. Melodyne worked then it didn’t and now won’t go back on past trial mode. Still no luck in getting isotope anything to authorize (it says it is both, authorized and not authorized) and I cannot even get modular to fire up enough to know what it’s doing, although, eventually ilok complained that it somehow became network-ized, which it doesn’t like, and doing what it recommended (unplugging it and plugging it back in) fixed a world of hurt, including isotope, Melodyne, and modular. Tracktion instruments seem to not be able to phone home, but the daw was. T9 seems to have become allergic to Poseidon after the os upgrade; before, it was fine. Cantabile lost its mind for a while, but eventually came back to its senses, when I could find my serial number. Engine 2 can’t remember its name, let alone its authorizations. Your mileage may vary, but gah.
Are you sure your update went through without any problems? I did the update here, and had some problems in the first few moments, but then anything got sorted out.

Are you running the latest versions of both iLOK License Manager and Steinberg eLicenser Control Center?

Tracktion, I have here version 9 running, and everything is OK too. But maybe I am just lucky. Yes, these major updates may cause some headaches, but so are the new Mac OS versions (these are actually much worse).
Fernando (FMR)

I have had a mixed experience with Windows 10 updates and software activations.

What happens is that the new Windows version always applies a new computer ID to your machine. Some activation schemes see this as a different computer, and some don't.

In my experience, the iLok software thingy keeps ticking right along after an update, as does Waves Central, and Native Access.

You may need to re-authorize certain applications. In some cases you may even have to logon to your online account, and deactivate the old computer ID to free up an activation, if the number of concurrent activations is limited.

If you have plugins without a standalone version that you can authorize from, make sure that the host DAW has internet access so it can phone home to activate. Sometimes turning off firewalls temporarily can help if this is an issue.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

You can put off windows 10 updates, but not forever. They are inevitable.
I hadn’t considered the new machine Id number, but that makes sense, and the last time I had to move my ilok authorizations off the computer onto the stick completely.
I’ve had to turn on hyper-v (for other reasons, not music) and that always wreaks havoc with the network stack, so, yeah, that’s probably what made ilok think it was networked.
I had just ponied up for t9 at the last sale, but it’s twitchy; t8 moreso.
Cantabile, once it remembered who I am, and I got over the hump of reauthorizing everything else, seems even rocker-solider. It has no issues with Poseidon, like t9 now does. Weird.
Boo-Frickety-Hoo.
-Dr. Evil

brewt wrote:You can put off windows 10 updates, but not forever. They are inevitable.
No, they're not inevitable.

1803 - My Story!
I allowed the update when it became available (April, I think).

Borked my system to the point that it would no longer boot.

Since I have 1709 burned on a DVD, installed that and set the update channel to "Semi-Annual", (the more careful business channel), instead of the default "Semi-Annual(Targeted)".

In due course, after a few weeks, Windows insisted on updating. After 6 hours of the hard drive grinding away, I gave up. Didn't even finish the download, stuck at 98%. So I used gpedit.msc to disable updates (only with the Pro (ha!) edition). I get "serious issue" reminders, but so what, no update, system fine.

Today, on the assumption that all that data collectiong that MS is doing has had some influence, somewhere, I bared my chest and allowed the update.
To my surprise, so far, everything works. :phew:

The moral:
People who have no problems with updates don't know how lucky they are. Also, they shouldn't be so hard on those who do. Have problems, that is. :D

Edit:
Current OS = Win 10 Pro 1803 OS build: 17134.167
Last edited by Googly Smythe on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T-CM11 wrote:
brewt wrote:You can put off windows 10 updates, but not forever. They are inevitable.
I believe they are unless you use gpedit.
Otherwise, some tips would be nice.

Googly Smythe wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
"they are unless you use gpedit" -> What does that mean? You're actually saying: they're not!
Anyway, try this:
- Disable the Windows Update service manually, or
- Install/run something like the following: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 (this is not the only tool available / you can find these things with a simple (Google or whatever) search.

Googly Smythe wrote: The moral:
People who have no problems with updates don't know how lucky they are. Also, they shouldn't be so hard on those who do. Have problems, that is. :D
From my experience, people encountering issues mostly have problematic software like system cleaners, tune up utilities, anti-spy software or similar installed. Apart from a couple of minor issues, i didn't really have problems with each of the big updates, on 3 different computers.

Sorry in advance to Frantz. I'm really sorry that that is my experience. Sorry bro. I know you can't stand when i say stuff like that. My deepest apologies. Pal.

chk071 wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote: The moral:
From my experience, people encountering issues mostly have problematic software like system cleaners, tune up utilities, anti-spy software or similar installed. Apart from a couple of minor issues, i didn't really have problems with each of the big updates, on 3 different computers.
I know what you mean, but...
I have had not a single problem with iLok or e-Licenser, unlike some here. I had a problem, once, with Waves, just before the Waves Central thing, but it sorted itself out (never found the reason)(it would ask for the location of the Waves vst (?!)).
We all can only speak of own experiences.
Some guys have all the luck. :tu:

One word.

Sordum Windows update blocker with proper ini file. Case closed.

https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-upd ... cker-v1-1/

T-CM11 wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
"they are unless you use gpedit" -> What does that mean? You're actually saying: they're not!
Anyway, try this:
- Disable the Windows Update service manually, or
- Install/run something like the following: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 (this is not the only tool available / you can find these things with a simple (Google or whatever) search.
Oops, didn't know that the service was visible.
(gpedit is the Group Policy Editor. Using that can prevent the inevitable. :tu: )

As most windows updates are security hole fixes, surely you're not saying that you don't want those, that you would rather lay yourself open to the ravages of the internet that are out there rather than risk letting Microsoft have its way with your machine?
Good luck with that, if you think that is the right answer.
You can pause updates for up to 35 days, and put off installing new features for up to a year. Without group policy. After that, unless you have shopped for a new machine, they happen. And they should be able to happen without laying waste to the efforts to make something work.
What I'm trying to point out, is that the exotic licensing schemes for the exotic softwares we are using needs to be better behaved, in light of the fact of the life we now have to live with what semi-annual overall updates for windows now does.
Boo-Frickety-Hoo.
-Dr. Evil

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”