Matching tempo?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I'm trying my hand at a cover for the first time and I can't seem to figure out what the tempo is. 129 seems really close but the further the song goes, the further it gets out of time. Is there a better way to try to remake a song?

What's your DAW?

You can try to time align the kick drum of the last measure by adjusting the tempo manually.

Some DAWs will let you tap the mouse on the beat through the song and then it will calculate the tempo based on that input.

I usually just render one bar of the track in Soundforge or Wavelab and import it into a new Live session. The track tempo then adjusts accordingly.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

And remember, not all songs are recorded to a metronome.
If it's a proper song with drums and stuff, it's probably best to just cut out 8 bars and sync that as best you can. Then cut up all the verses and chorus and align them individual.
If it's a vocal accapella that you're planning on remixing, you will often need to split the audio into small sections. (down to 1-bar sections for things like motown)

Return to “Production Techniques”