Audiothingies Micromonsta

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

8 voices is quite sufficient for Micromonsta. The sound is thick enough without unison.

I didnt mention "thick sound"

No interest in unison or supersaw sounds.

There is more than one reason to need higher polyphony. Just because you think 8 is enough, doesnt mean it is.

Well depends on the use case of course. I have plenty of synths with more than 8 voices of polyphony. When I need more poly, I use those. When I want to use the sounds only Micromonsta can provide, I use Micromonsta. It's as simple as that. It's a pretty unique little machine.

Seeing as how AnX won't answer, when do you ever need more than 8 voices of polyphony? As you say, MicroMonsta can get plenty thick enough without unison so most of the time you can play with both hands and not have to worry about running out of notes. And where you do need unison, the delay does a credible impression of release so you don't notice any note stealing.
AnX wrote:There is more than one reason to need higher polyphony. Just because you think 8 is enough, doesnt mean it is.
And yet, despite being asked, you are unable to enunciate even one. Do you know how unbelievably stupid that makes your position look to the rest of us?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Gimme a chance, i dont spend my life here....

A perfect example...chords...big lush pads with long release, playing with two hands....very quickly you get voice stealing and it sounds crap. You have have to compromise by cutting the release, which again sounds crap.

If you add to that your obsession with "thick sounds/unison" you may as well play in mono.

There is really no reason for a digital synth to have such low polyphony

Can you give us some examples because what I find is the opposite - if you are playing chords with both hands, which is unusual for most players (left hand chords, right hand melody), and you have long release it very quickly becomes a quagmire of mush. The more notes you play, the quicker you want the old notes to go away so that your listeners can hear what you are playing. In any event, that's why you might need one synth with maybe 12 voice polyphony, not why every single synth you even consider has to have a minimum of 32 note polyphony.

Of course I mostly play in mono - apart from the fact I have to sing while I'm playing, there are usually half-a-dozen things already happening at once and the last thing you want to add to that are big chords. A two note string chord over the top of everything else can work but much more and it turns to mush. I also rarely use more than very, very short release times for the same reason. Of course, with distortion on it's usually a complete waste of time even thinking about playing chords anyway, or having release on anything.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Diff needs for diff styles. Thats why its useless to me. Does nothing i cant do itb. If i was to buy a new digital hw synth, 32 would be the minimum.

I very much doubt you need it. Looking at your recent purchase history, i would say you are struggling for inspiration and using hw purchases to relieve that problem. :wink:

BONES wrote:Can you give us some examples
Er, anything by Elton John or Coldplay, ever.
Just because some can't play two handed chords and sing at the same time, doesn't mean wanting/needing more than 8 note polyphony isn't a valid requirement for a digital synth purchase in 2018, no matter how much you try find reasons to justify a chosen position.
AnX wrote: If i was to buy a new digital hw synth, 32 would be the minimum.
I could get away with 16, but anything less and you might as well stay itb.

Oh, I didn't realise I was discussing this with Elton John and the keyboard player from Coldplay (didn't even realise they had one, TBH). That said, I'm sure those guys are professional enough to deal with what's in front of them, rather than setting arbitrary minimum standards for largely irrelevant things that are far more likely to hold you back than empower you. interestingly, I don't know that I've ever seen Elton John playing anything but a grand piano. He may not even know what "polyphony" means (he'd have "people" to worry about that stuff).

Those goalposts have been shifted so far I should be replying on the next page. :lol:

Doesn't change anything though. There's still plenty of valid reasons why some people will want more than 8 note polyphony.
It's okay if you're not one of them.

Not on every single instrument you'd even consider owning, which was what these idiots were saying. And they weren't talking "more than 8", they were saying "32 minimum". That means your first two hands worth of chords would still be decaying audibly when you hit your fourth two hands worth of chords. And you want to stick up for these clowns? Spare me days!

You dont need a 4 second release time for note stealing to occur. Any tiny overlap will cause this. I guess you have no idea how synthesis works or how to play a keyboard with two hands.

Stick to your distorted mono 80's synth lines and leave the complex stuff to the pros :wink:

BONES wrote:Not on every single instrument you'd even consider owning, which was what these idiots were saying. And they weren't talking "more than 8", they were saying "32 minimum". That means your first two hands worth of chords would still be decaying audibly when you hit your fourth two hands worth of chords. And you want to stick up for these clowns? Spare me days!
I replied to your request for examples, and gave you a couple, simple as that.
Everything else you've written to me since is irrelevant to that.

As for the big problem of note stealing, AnX has made a good argument, though you'll note I said I could make do with 16. That's because I'm not Elton or Chris.

It's almost as if you don't understand how a discussion works. By examples, I meant from the individual I was responding to, which wasn't you - i.e. from the music he makes, an illustration of why every instrument he owns needs a minimum of 32 voices of polyphony - not just the name of a performer who may or may not require it, based on the style of music they make. Because I'd point out that Elton John's greatest success came in the days when pretty much every synth was monophonic and 32 voice polyphony was unheard of, so he is obviously a very, very poor example. That, in turn, puts your other example into doubt.

Honestly, anyone who needed 32 notes of polyphony would not have been able to make music with synths prior to the very late 1980s or maybe even later, without multiple studio overdubs. Even workstations synths like the KORG M1 only had 16 note polyphony and that was spread over 8 parts. So by suggesting every synth you own needs to have at least 32 voices tells me that you have absolutely no idea what you are doing. And as I said earlier, if you want to defend that position, you end up looking just as clueless as they do because a lot of the all-time great synth music was made with monosynths.

BONES wrote:It's almost as if you don't understand how a discussion works. By examples, I meant from the individual I was responding to, which wasn't you
On a public forum, is that irony intentional?
BONES wrote: Because I'd point out that Elton John's greatest success came in the days when pretty much every synth was monophonic and 32 voice polyphony was unheard of, so he is obviously a very, very poor example. That, in turn, puts your other example into doubt.
Because piano. Not every synth user makes bleeps, bloops or grrrs. Some are players who play synthetic sounds, some with long release times, hence a need for less limited polyphony.
BONES wrote:Honestly, anyone who needed 32 notes of polyphony would not have been able to make music with synths prior to the very late 1980s or maybe even late
So what? It's 2018 now.
BONES wrote:So by suggesting every synth you own needs to have at least 32 voices tells me that you have absolutely no idea what you are doing. And as I said earlier, if you want to defend that position, you end up looking just as clueless as they do

Are you replying to me in error? perhaps revisit your first point again. lol
I've not mentioned anything about every synth I own. Seems to me the point you're defending has got the better of you and you're seeing ghosts where none exist.
BONES wrote: because a lot of the all-time great synth music was made with monosynths.
I agree, loads of it, but that's got f**k all to do with some people wanting a synth that has 16 or 32 note polyphony.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”