Empirical Labs Arousor is on sale for $149, worth getting?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Arousor

badass_billy wrote:
plexuss wrote:Novatron apparently take the compression characteristics of a number of different compressors and offers a sort of blend or morph through their parameters as you sweep the controls.
So in other words, it's like a distressor.
Yes, exactly. Except the two don't sound anything like one another.

I have a lot of experience with both, so I'd offer a few thing:

Both are excellent. But Arousor is not a Distressor clone - it can get close with careful setup but don't try matching settings, the ratios don't even correspond. 6:1 on Arousor best corresponds to 4:1 on the Distressor if my memory serves me well. Also, there's no Opto mode in Arousor as of yet.

Arousor is also all about control. Need to control peaks? It'll do it. Shape the perfect attack? It will do it. But at the same time, Arousor is easier to screw up. If you're new to compression, Arousor leaves you enough rope to hang yourself. Each ratio is basically it's own compressor, and there's a lot of ratios. And I'm serious. Different knees, slightly different gain staging, the difference between 2nd/3rd order harmonics change a bit, heck, the release shapes even change a bit. Arousor also has very wide attack and release ranges,, then there's the quirky mix knob implementation, attack mod, saturation, sidechain EQ's, etc. There's a lot there to get a handle on. It's top-shelf compression, no doubt, but it can be a bit much. On the other hand, it's a compressor toolbox and excellent.

Novatron, on the other hand, is all about the sweet spots for me. It's the easiest compressor I have to setup IMO. Any time I slap it on a track, I know it'll just work at it's default settings, and at that point it's just a question of good vs. better. If I'm mixing, I'll adjust it to "Mix" unless I'm looking for something more brutal. Want something dark? Set it to Dark? Airy. Set it to Airy. Then just adjust the compression level, give the attack and release a quick a spin (they seem to sound good everywhere), add a touch of the input transformer, drive the output tranny a bit. Everything is super intuitive.

I don't think either compressor really sounds like other compressors. Sure, both can get fast, but they're not as erratic as an 1176, and both can get smooth, but they're not quite an LA-2A (technically neither has an opto mode), and they can do snappy VCA style compression, but not exactly in that over-easy DBX way, and even at slow releases, Novatron never quite sounds like other Mu style compressors. I think the important thing to keep in mind is that both are offering compression flavors inspired by other pieces of gear, but each is very much their own thing. They don't even sound like each other.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I don't think either compressor really sounds like other compressors. Sure, both can get fast, but they're not as erratic as an 1176, and both can get smooth, but they're not quite an LA-2A (technically neither has an opto mode), and they can do snappy VCA style compression, but not exactly in that over-easy DBX way, and even at slow releases, Novatron never quite sounds like other Mu style compressors. I think the important thing to keep in mind is that both are offering compression flavors inspired by other pieces of gear, but each is very much their own thing. They don't even sound like each other.
Other than the fact that each offers various flavor of classic compression, is fast but controlled, smooth but not opto-smooth, capable of vca-style but not the transparent variety. But other than that, they sound nothing alike. Got it. :tu:

badass_billy wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I don't think either compressor really sounds like other compressors. Sure, both can get fast, but they're not as erratic as an 1176, and both can get smooth, but they're not quite an LA-2A (technically neither has an opto mode), and they can do snappy VCA style compression, but not exactly in that over-easy DBX way, and even at slow releases, Novatron never quite sounds like other Mu style compressors. I think the important thing to keep in mind is that both are offering compression flavors inspired by other pieces of gear, but each is very much their own thing. They don't even sound like each other.
Other than the fact that each offers various flavor of classic compression, is fast but controlled, smooth but not opto-smooth, capable of vca-style but not the transparent variety. But other than that, they sound nothing alike. Got it. :tu:
Use them both. You'll see what I mean. It's hard to describe the more intangible aspects of sound but to my ear, Arousor has more of a modern, hard edge to it (not a complaint) and Novatron has a smoother, more mellow overall feel. Oddly, it occurs to me that it almost reflects their developers. Dave Derr is from Jersey (so am I) and we're known for being fast-paced and in your face, whereas Greg from Kush seems to be more of a chill, West Coast, stoner type. I think that comes across in the difference between these two plugins that try to do very similar things, but one seems more in your face, and the other is more chill and subdued.

Or, I've just always subciounsly (up until just now anyway) made that connection and it's all in my mind and they sound way more similar than I'm willing to give them credit for. I don't think that's the case though.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Greg from Kush seems to be more of a chill, West Coast, stoner type.
I never would have guessed. :o :o

Excellent observation and description by the way. I totally get it now.

Guys, it's version 2.1 and that thing still doesn't create uninstallers during installation on Windows. How do you uninstall it?

Hi. I looked for some evidence from the company about what you wrote below and I couldn't find anything. Can you provide some links that document these features?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: But Arousor is not a Distressor clone
Each ratio is basically it's own compressor... Different knees, slightly different gain staging, the difference between 2nd/3rd order harmonics change a bit, heck, the release shapes even change a bit.

I recall something about that as well, that’s why the slate plugin is the official emu I thought.

plexuss wrote:Hi. I looked for some evidence from the company about what you wrote below and I couldn't find anything. Can you provide some links that document these features?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: But Arousor is not a Distressor clone
You want evidence they're not clones? Start with the feature differences. The UAD version is a Distressor clone, as is the Slate. SKNote even has DIsto which I believe is more of an exact clone than Arousor. The Arousor does some things the Disressor doesn't and vice versa.

Things a Distressor has that Arousor does not:

1. Opto mode
2. HP filter in the audio path
3. Dits2/Dist3 modes (Arousor has a saturation knob)
4. Brit Mod (on the EL-8X anyway)

Things Arousor has that a Distressor does not:

1. Attack Mod
2. Variable saturation knob
3. Sweepable HP filter in the detector path (vs. on/off in the Distressor)
4. Fully parametric bell curves in the detector
5. Mix knob

Are they similar? Sure. Can you make them sound similar depending on the settings? Yep. The blue dots on Arousor's GUI approximate some Distressor default settings. Is Arousor likely to get more Distressor features like Opto mode? Yes. Are they the same? Nope.

Oh, and the thing about the ratios not matching 1:1 and the 6:1 on Arousor being 4:1 on a Distressor is in the Arousor manual BTW. Read it.
plexuss wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Each ratio is basically it's own compressor... Different knees, slightly different gain staging, the difference between 2nd/3rd order harmonics change a bit, heck, the release shapes even change a bit.
Pop Arousor open in DDMF's Plugin Doctor and run the tests yourself. I'm assuming everyong has Plugin Doctor at this point, and if you don't, run out and buy it immediately and start running your plugins through it to see what they do.

So if you have it, try this...

1. Load up Arousor in Plugin Doctor - set it up for a 1:1 ratio to start - get a nice neutral setting (maybe all the white knobs at 5 but experiment)
2. Go to the Dynamics tab in Plugin Doctor
3. Start with Ramp mode
4. Cycle through each ratio and watch the compression curve

Result: soft knees to start, they get harder as the ratio increases. Pay attention to the level where the compression starts for each ratio: it changes a bit in unusual ways at differet ratios (somtimes it compresses sooner, sometimes a bit later).

5. Now stay on the Dynamics tab but flip to Att/Rel mode
6. Start on the 1:1 ratio and cycle through paying attention to what's happening with the release shape

Result: on the Rivet ratio, the release shape is entirely different than at is at 1.5:1. It's also much faster in Rivet than 1.5. So the ratio will also impact how the release will sound and respond.

7. Go to the Harmonics tab
8. Go to Settings in Plugin doctor and set it to use a test signal of 1,000hz (or as close as plugin doctor will let you go)
9. Cycle through the ratios again

Result: you'll see changes in the levels between the 2nd and 3rd order harmonics depending on the ratio.

And just play around with different settings as you do this stuff. Arousor is an interesting beast.

Also, if you haven't already, read the Arousor manual. In addition, Gearslutz thread is also a wealth of knowledge from Dave Derr (the inventor of both). Here's a link to that thread, with only Dave's posts shown. There's a lot, but if you have some patience, there's lots of great knowledge and insight.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product ... tml?u=1502

I see. so Arousor is like a Distressor on steroids, taking advantage of software to add extra features and diversity...? That's what I like to see with software - taking the hardware to the next step. I did run it though Plugin Doctor and I see what you mean. It's pretty non-linear across the board. I guess they tried to dial in the various parameters under the hood to make for what they consider to be a musical tool. I feel like i need work with the demo some more to convince myself it has more to offer than I already have to the tune of $134 big ones. :phones:

Slate FG-Stress here, all the way :phones:

I think I saw some posts by Dave Derr on GS saying Arousor wasn't a Distressor emulation but that it can get you close to the Distressor sound if you tweak it carefully.

Endor-8o8 wrote:I think I saw some posts by Dave Derr on GS saying Arousor wasn't a Distressor emulation but that it can get you close to the Distressor sound if you tweak it carefully.
He was also announcing 1:1 clone, than failed and called it Arousor, but yeah, GS is strong at moderating, probably any evidence of that announcement disappeared with few other members that question things like that.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
Endor-8o8 wrote:I think I saw some posts by Dave Derr on GS saying Arousor wasn't a Distressor emulation but that it can get you close to the Distressor sound if you tweak it carefully.
He was also announcing 1:1 clone, than failed and called it Arousor, but yeah, GS is strong at moderating, probably any evidence of that announcement disappeared with few other members that question things like that.
There's a lot of cool people in this industry, obviously. But there are also a lot of turds.

I find it entertaining that EL create a classic comp that basically rips off other comps. Then they turn around and jump all over anyone else who tries to rip off their ripoff, sending cease and desist orders and collecting licensing fees. Then once they themselves come out with their own distressor emu, everyone paying them royalty fees jumped all over their s***. Now they can't even say their own ripoff of their own product is their product.

Capitalism at it's finest.

badass_billy wrote:
Zexila wrote:
There's a lot of cool people in this industry, obviously. But there are also a lot of turds.

I find it entertaining that EL create a classic comp that basically rips off other comps. Then they turn around and jump all over anyone else who tries to rip off their ripoff, sending cease and desist orders and collecting licensing fees. Then once they themselves come out with their own distressor emu, everyone paying them royalty fees jumped all over their s***. Now they can't even say their own ripoff of their own product is their product.

It'a ll part of making america great agian. :phones:

badass_billy wrote:
Zexila wrote:

I'm not a fan of the move he pulled. It was deceptive. And I weigh that in mind as I debate over whether or not to purchase this plugin, currently on Sale again for the same price.
I certainly need to give it some more demo time, and I want to compare it against my Disto-S and Pensadia Stressor.

However, I'm curious... was that a jab at Capitalism?
I ask because Capitalism is the system that made it possible for you and I to produce/record/mix/master music with state of the art technology, which is readily available to be released, and distributed immediately, to most of the world, reducing the need for expensive studios, recording contracts and pricey budgets, all while allowing those things to still exist.

Is there a better alternative?
Specs:
15" Macbook pro (late 2011)
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
High Sierra 10.13.5
Logic Pro X 10.4.2

Return to “Effects”