Am I not Compressing Enough?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Compressors can also be used to add a little movement and nonlinear elements to hold interest. And, certainly, if we're talking envelope followers attached to gain stages, a mix can never have enough.

hhuang9611 wrote:
badass_billy wrote:Probably debatable as to whether it can even be called music, but that's a whole 'nother topic altogether.
Wow...That is harsh. :scared:
Clue's in the name. Hehe.

pixel85 wrote:
badass_billy wrote: I mean, it's highly unlikely that you played some of your midi notes too hard. :hihi:
I see you have never ever played any keyboard instrument :)
I have and they always sound like they're prolished, produced and processed. That's how they get you to buy the damn things.

Unless your .wav looks like the one on the bottom....then no. :lol:

the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

I've often used compression when producing electronic "music" ;) As soon as you start running sequences through more "extreme" chains of FX, it can send the dynamics all over the shop. As with everything, it's all dependant on the source material. Seems you've already got that figured out :)

Do you some electronic music producers heavily rely on compression for their "sound"? I don't doubt it. Do you need to be using more of it? Only if it sounds good to your ears :)

i usually use a compressor to 'tone shape' i reckon it would be called. like on a bass guitar when i want more of the string sound without drowning it with 'bellow'.. raise the input, cut off the top a tad with ratio and threshold while raising all the lower intricacies. for vocals to level the playing field.. raise the soft parts while curbing overly loud (singers vary a lot) as for drums i tend to use transient shapers for the 'crack' or attack of the sound and add saturation to taste to add richness but i will compress if need be to tame tops and to raise or trim the decay (natural reverb) to separate the notes/strikes. don't like to compress electric guitar so much because it makes it a little too linear sounding (i like dynamics) but i will compress an acoustic to give it more body by raising the bottom end to combat thinness but when i do i usually have to notch the 'box' out.

but i NEVER slap on a compressor for the sake of 'crushing' the sound. i do always use a low ratio, reasonable threshold, open attack and quicker release on the bus to glue parts together and give things a little separation or make things a little more open in the sound field.

the use of a compressor has no standard use imo... the part should dictate usage. cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Return to “Effects”