DAW VST's

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All included synths are vst's, but they are usually wrapped in the host so cannot be used outside of it.

If they are included with the host as separate plugins, you should be able to use them in other hosts.

AnX wrote:All included synths are vst's, but they are usually wrapped in the host so cannot be used outside of it.

If they are included with the host as separate plugins, you should be able to use them in other hosts.
If you are talking about a specific DAW this might be true, but you should to tell us which one you are talking about.

For many DAWs the included plugins (synths, effects) are _not_ VST compatible, because the DAWs use different plugin standards.

Im not sure what you dont understand... obviously a win daw cant load a mac au instrument...but thats so obvious it doesnt need saying....im talking about standard vst format ( the op is 'daw vst')

In my own experience, I encountered one case (I believe it was a Mixcraft-bundled plugin) where the VST would work in a different DAW as long as Mixcraft was installed on the same system.

Since FL Studio is also a VSTi then all the VST''s included in FLS will function in another DAW.

Some VST/i will be loaded but can't be used outside that DAW. Again, Sonar came with some effects that has a message indicating they can't be used outside Sonar (I don't remember them now, but sure it happened with me) oh, yes! I remember now! Like the Nomad Factory bundle that came with Sonar.

Some VST synths can only function in a specific DAW, like Nuklear Solo, which only functions in Studio One. That means, the developer can by choice make it run or not in a specific DAW.

I don't know though if all plugs are written in VST SDK or not in Windows, I thought they are written first in a programming language using some libraries that enable audio/midi functionalities, then use a specific SDK to make it function as a VST/AU whatever.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
low_low wrote:Thanks DB3 and Mushy, much appreciated.
The answer is it depends, unfortunately. Some like ImageLine (ie, FL Studio) allow them to work in other DAWS. Others like the Ableton ones only work in Ableton Live.

I would say the majority that come built into DAW's are native to that DAW. It's a USP after all.
Yes, this has also been my experience.
The DAW that has quality plugins that I would actually use is Cubase 9+.
Otherwise I tend to use 3rd party plugs...
FL Studio does have some very interesting instruments.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

What I was referring to in my earlier post were VSTs that were marked as only working in the DAW. An example would be FL Studio's Maximus mastering plugin effect. A version that is locked to FL Studio comes with the regular install. If you were trying to use it in another DAW you would have to pay for the VST version. However, some DAWs pick up the FL Studio only version and it can be used but not the preset system. This was just an example. I don't think Maximus is one of those plugins.

The FL Studio only version is still a VST, but it has been altered to only run in the FL Studio environment. This is different than say Acoustica Mixcraft that packages several VSTs, some from other devs. Several of their VSTs run in most DAWs. Some of them throw the error and exit. Some of their VST are fully licensed VST. Others are third party licensed ones that they have to lock down. I was merely saying to the OP that it's best not to assume those locked down VST will run in another DAW. It sometimes does happen, but it isn't something to be depended upon.

It definitely depends on the DAW you are referring to. In my experience it varies. Ableton and PreSonus have their bundled instruments and FX wrapped up in the DAW.

However, Tracktion bundles Collective with Waveform, and it is a full fledged VST synth that you can use anywhere. Their stock FX and multi-sampler are wrapped up in the DAW, but their DAW essentials add-on ($$) is a portable VST FX bundle.

Most of the Cakewalk branded VST in Sonar are portable, with the exception of special 3rd party license deals with outside developers.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Instruments”