Thorn vs. Zebra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Niowiad wrote:The modules showing or hiding are just one part of the deal... the actual benefits of Zebra's (semi) modular architecture are in the routing possibilities to alter the signal flow, which don't do as deep as "fully modular" synths, but still way more capable than the standard fixed signal path synthesizers.
Is that not possible in Thorn ? I was under the impression that you could modulate just about every parameter in Thorn, that's a big part of the reason I thought Zebra and Thorn would be so similar.

low_low wrote:
Niowiad wrote:The modules showing or hiding are just one part of the deal... the actual benefits of Zebra's (semi) modular architecture are in the routing possibilities to alter the signal flow, which don't do as deep as "fully modular" synths, but still way more capable than the standard fixed signal path synthesizers.
Is that not possible in Thorn ? I was under the impression that you could modulate just about every parameter in Thorn, that's a big part of the reason I thought Zebra and Thorn would be so similar.
Signal path and modulation are two different things...

pdxindy wrote:Signal path and modulation are two different things...
Ok, I got you, you're talking about (for example) the signal path grid in Zebra 2 that lets you move the oscillators, filters, etc, and rewire everything to your liking in whatever order you want.

Zebra is the more versatile synth obviously as it has a much richer feature set. On the other hand there are probably things you can do in thorn that you can't do in Zebra, but it's much more geared towards the EDM crowd. A much more fair comparison would be Diversion and Zebra imo.

Have both. Love both. Completely different synths. If i know what sound a song needs, i'll open up Zebra. If i'm not quite sure and want something unexpected to fall out, i go for Thorn. i would say both are my two favorite soft synths at the moment. Also, i think Thorn is still on sale.

fanodu1 wrote:On the other hand there are probably things you can do in thorn that you can't do in Zebra, but it's much more geared towards the EDM crowd.
Second time i read this now. Why do you think it is geared more towards the EDM crowd?

Thorn is not geared towards anything, it's just an awkward synth with a lot of potential.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Thorn is not geared towards anything, it's just an awesome synth with a lot of potential.
FTFY. :D

low_low wrote:What say you ?

Features seem VERY similar, even a very similar wave table editor.
May I ask which features exactly?

Don't have too much experience with Zebra but they don't seem that similar to me :?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Return to “Instruments”