Madrona Labs Sumu

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
dayjob
KVRian
1238 posts since 6 Nov, 2006

Post Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:06 pm

cron wrote:I think Madrona Labs have such a poor reputation on CPU hit because people see that an empty, silent patch causes notable CPU consumption by itself and they run a mile. Thing is, the CPU hit when you first open the synth is almost always the highest you'll ever see it go. All available voices are constantly running in (all?) ML plugs due to the architecture, where the concept of MIDI 'note-on/off' doesn't really exist outside of the envelope section. Doesn't matter how hard you're pushing things, CPU hit rarely changes. They're very predictable. Changing max available voices is just about the only thing that changes CPU hit in Madrona synths. They're on the heavy side, for sure, but there are plenty of synths out there which get heavier with a comparable number of voices playing.

exactly! and he explained on the forum some years ago. i can't recall if this info is in the manual somewhere though...

https://madronalabs.com/topics/3565-get ... t-of-kaivo
Always on
Like Aalto, and unlike most plugins, when you make an instance of Kaivo in a VST or AU host it is always running: all the algorithms are computing along at full tilt even though no sounds may be coming out. This feature lets you bring up the gate level manually or use Kaivo’s sequencer live without running the host, to play with sounds right in the plugin like you would on an analog modular system. This feature can be confusing if you’re not aware of it. I've had some feedback like “Kaivo had my CPU at 50% before I even played a note!” --- which sounds pretty scary, unless you realize that this is also the maximum it can use with the number of voices you have chosen.

experimental.crow
KVRAF
5509 posts since 9 Mar, 2003 from The Druid Hills

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:13 pm

this out today , in an email , regarding the summer sale :

" Sumu coming.

With the plugin updates completed, I'm now working full-time on the next software instrument, Sumu. It's going to be the last plugin in the patcher-in-the-middle format that Madrona Labs introduced with Aalto way back in 2010. Granular synthesis, as implemented in Kaivo, lets you decompose a sound into vertical segments (grains) each capturing an instant of the whole sound. A sines plus noise decomposition, used in Sumu, is a complementary tool that does very much the opposite, tracking individual sine wave partials of a sound horizontally through time in what's called spectral analysis.

Working with spectral data in a patchable environment has long been limited to the users of more general-purpose tools like Kyma and Max/MSP. With Sumu I'm designing a fixed set of modules that work in harmony together to make spectral sculpting a breeze.

That's enough from me for now. I should get back to it. I hope this finds you with enough air, water, food and music. I can only help with the last one but I think it's damn important. Stay strong, look to that horizon and keep in touch ... "
Image

Neon Breath
KVRAF
2893 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:42 pm

experimental.crow wrote:this out today , in an email , regarding the summer sale :

" Sumu coming.

With the plugin updates completed, I'm now working full-time on the next software instrument, Sumu. It's going to be the last plugin in the patcher-in-the-middle format that Madrona Labs introduced with Aalto way back in 2010. Granular synthesis, as implemented in Kaivo, lets you decompose a sound into vertical segments (grains) each capturing an instant of the whole sound. A sines plus noise decomposition, used in Sumu, is a complementary tool that does very much the opposite, tracking individual sine wave partials of a sound horizontally through time in what's called spectral analysis.

Working with spectral data in a patchable environment has long been limited to the users of more general-purpose tools like Kyma and Max/MSP. With Sumu I'm designing a fixed set of modules that work in harmony together to make spectral sculpting a breeze.

That's enough from me for now. I should get back to it. I hope this finds you with enough air, water, food and music. I can only help with the last one but I think it's damn important. Stay strong, look to that horizon and keep in touch ... "
Spectral modular uh? Sounds promising no doubt! Thanks for the update :tu:
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

woggle
KVRAF
1840 posts since 24 Nov, 2012

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:40 pm

looking forward to this - very interesting developer

User avatar
nilhartman
KVRist
404 posts since 15 Feb, 2012 from France

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:16 am

Can't wait!!!

Neon Breath
KVRAF
2893 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:26 am

And prepare some refrigerant & a good cooling system for your poor CPU! :-P :hihi:
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

cron
KVRAF
3067 posts since 27 Dec, 2002 from North East England

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:04 pm

dayjob wrote:i can't recall if this info is in the manual somewhere though...
It is. Well, it's in the Kaivo manual at least. Haven't checked Aalto and Virta. Another opportunity here for me to say that Madrona Labs write the very best manuals in the plug-in world. I even recommend reading them if you don't own the synth but are interested in the general area the synth covers. Lots of interesting discussion about aesthetics which you can apply to other synths, as well as being concise and easy-to-read operation manuals.

Really looking forward to whatever Sumu is going to bring to the table. I'm really hoping it includes some way to process modulation signals. I feel Virta in particular could have benefited there: a way to clip, slew, multiply etc modulation signals, plus a sidechain input to drive the modulation would have been nice. Either way, I'm sure it'll have that Madrona magic! Madrona Labs and Unfiltered Audio are the only companies where I own their entire catalogue.

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
29660 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:10 pm

cron wrote: Another opportunity here for me to say that Madrona Labs write the very best manuals in the plug-in world.
Yes they are, as much a guide to synthesis as an artform as they are the the plugin (closest I can think of was Howard Scarr's classic guide to the Virus Ti which is also a general guide to synthesis and very interesting to read, his Zebra manual is good too)

User avatar
Ranoka
KVRist
97 posts since 4 Jun, 2018 from UK

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:45 am

I'm really looking forward to the Sumu beta, Randy hinted it would be soon on his forum ("I'll send out a Sumu beta testing invite soon, hopefully!"). I wonder if soon is days, weeks, or months. :hyper:

User avatar
Ranoka
KVRist
97 posts since 4 Jun, 2018 from UK

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:44 am

Madrona Labs updated their website today, and there's a shiny new page for Sumu where you can subscribe to their newsletter for an invitation to the upcoming beta!
https://madronalabs.com/products/sumu

ZeePok
KVRian
1004 posts since 22 Aug, 2004 from Edge City, the Low Country

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:11 pm

Ranoka wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:44 am
Madrona Labs updated their website today, and there's a shiny new page for Sumu where you can subscribe to their newsletter for an invitation to the upcoming beta!
https://madronalabs.com/products/sumu
Thanks for the heads up! :)

Neon Breath
KVRAF
2893 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:24 pm

:tu: :party: :ud:

Can't wait for this one.
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

Halonmusic
KVRAF
1618 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:18 pm

These guys are americans right? So whats with the finnish names for their synths? Just curious.

User avatar
Delta Sign
KVRist
446 posts since 22 Jun, 2018

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:26 pm

They sound cool.

If I remember correctly, Randy actually googled "water" in a bunch of different languages when he made Aalto, and Aalto simply sounded the best.
I like the naming of the plugins. It goes very well together with the overall design aesthetic.

deastman
KVRAF
6756 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

Post Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:14 pm

I have all the Madrona plugins, and I’m really looking forward to Sumu. Even if it breaks my CPU.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

Return to “Instruments”