Serum discount?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dblock wrote:
lelderkin wrote:Xfer unfortunately never does sales. Steve Duda has said that he doesn't really believe in sales as it's unfair to people who make a purchase the day before the sale starts, etc.
oops duplicate post. :dog:
Last edited by dblock on Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Some devs just don't understand the business side very well. A product will produce most sales shortly after its initial release. After 2 or more years, sales will often equal to zero, while, when you do sales, you can create a multiple of sales. Which is good for the customer, AND good for the business (and also, both groups of customers, the early adopters, and those who need to look after their purse get served). But, hey, it's his business. Fortunately for him, Serum created a hype around it in certain music genres like Massive did. For whatever reason, i never really got the wavetable hype in dubstep, Trance, and whatever EDM-style music. Probably also has to do with his label. If that wasn't the case, he'd surely had a hard time with Serum. It's neither very inexpensive (rather the opposite), nor does it seem to offer much over other wavetable synths, nor does it seem to sound very characterful. And, worst of all, it doesn't even seem to have seamless morph between waveforms, which is one of the most basic requirements i have for wavetable synths.

Don't get me wrong BTW, i like Steve Duda, he's a good guy, is a real crack in what he's doing, and his explanation and tutorial vids are great too. He's obviously just doesn't understand much about the business side. Customers aren't all the same, so, there's no need to treat them all the same. There's early adopters, which will buy almost anything when it's being released, full price, because they just can't wait, and were eager on the product for "so long" ;), there's people which only will buy the product when it is discounted, and, there's also people which have an eye on the product, but will wait until there's a good chance in form of a sale. It is just plain stupid to not do sales. 3-5 years after the release, noone will be interested anymore to buy the thing for 189 €, when there have been so many shiny new plugins, which rock everything which has been released before, released since the plugin has been released.

chk071 wrote:Some devs just don't understand the business side very well. A product will produce most sales shortly after its initial release. After 2 or more years, sales will often equal to zero, while, when you do sales, you can create a multiple of sales. Which is good for the customer, AND good for the business (and also, both groups of customers, the early adopters, and those who need to look after their purse get served). But, hey, it's his business. Fortunately for him, Serum created a hype around it in certain music genres like Massive did. For whatever reason, i never really got the wavetable hype in dubstep, Trance, and whatever EDM-style music. Probably also has to do with his label. If that wasn't the case, he'd surely had a hard time with Serum. It's neither very inexpensive (rather the opposite), nor does it seem to offer much over other wavetable synths, nor does it seem to sound very characterful. And, worst of all, it doesn't even seem to have seamless morph between waveforms, which is one of the most basic requirements i have for wavetable synths.
It appears Steve has done exceptionally well with his blockbuster plugin. I don't see how passing a tiny bit of his good fortune forward to consumers with an occasional sale would upset the balance of sales vs full price in any significant way overall but it could help alot of people win without other people having to lose.
We still got what we paid for.

Yep. It's funny. Do we all complain now as well, because our smartphones have a steady decrease of price? Is that unfair towards us, that it's often only half the price after 2 years? Or is it a completely normal development, especially considering that most will have a new smartphone after a very short time anyway, making the "old" stuff kind of redundant, or, let's rather say, aging and decreasing in popularity. Exactly the same with plugins. A very small fraction of people will still pay the full price after 3 or more years.

Novation V-Station is such a perfect example for that. Originally sold for over $200, and i paid 25 € for it, about 8 years ago on Thomann, and now, for some time, they give it away with mags, or their hardware products.

lelderkin wrote:Xfer unfortunately never does sales. Steve Duda has said that he doesn't really believe in sales as it's unfair to people who make a purchase the day before the sale starts, etc.
Yeah, but this could also be the perfect excuse (# reason) not to do any sales; Because he knows the plugin is very popular and there will always be enough people who want to buy it. Sounds a bit like the Sylenth1 story.

Stefken wrote:
Yeah, but this could also be the perfect excuse (# reason) not to do any sales; Because he knows the plugin is very popular and there will always be enough people who want to buy it. Sounds a bit like the Sylenth1 story.
Yeah, they both nailed it and both of them can be rent-to-own-ed, so even more people can use them instead of cracks and second hand price is still strong, win-win for everyone, yeah, except folks who want it now and want it 30% off. :)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Stefken wrote:
Well, I'll put it this way. He can do what he wants at the end of the day though I have a hard time believing that never offering customers a sale is strictly a fairness decision. I'm glad everybody isn't this fair or we would never get a break buying anything anywhere.

chk071 wrote:Don't get me wrong BTW, i like Steve Duda, he's a good guy, is a real crack in what he's doing, and his explanation and tutorial vids are great too. He's obviously just doesn't understand much about the business side. Customers aren't all the same, so, there's no need to treat them all the same. There's early adopters, which will buy almost anything when it's being released, full price, because they just can't wait, and were eager on the product for "so long" ;), there's people which only will buy the product when it is discounted, and, there's also people which have an eye on the product, but will wait until there's a good chance in form of a sale. It is just plain stupid to not do sales. 3-5 years after the release, noone will be interested anymore to buy the thing for 189 €, when there have been so many shiny new plugins, which rock everything which has been released before, released since the plugin has been released.
I think he nailed it, he knows whole market quite well and who are folks who use Serum mostly, he have few products and he doesn't need handful of KVR GAS-ers to survive, but instead he found a way majority of all those crack users to buy a copy, his full cash payers have great resale price, he provides great customer support on majority of popular boards, dude is everywhere where Serum is mentioned, oh he knows how to run his business.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

dblock wrote:
Stefken wrote:
Well, I'll put it this way. He can do what he wants at the end of the day though I have a hard time believing that never offering customers a sale is strictly a fairness decision. I'm glad everybody isn't this fair or we would never get a break buying anything anywhere.
Well, he knows what he have, he doesn't need Waves marketing to sell his stuff.

Zexila wrote: Yeah, they both nailed it
In your opinion, friend. I much prefer Icarus and would sell Serum in a heartbeat if my license wasn't NFR.
(When I bought it, there was no rent-to-own and I didn't pay much attention to reselling then).

The rent-to-own thing is surely a nice thing for people taking advantage of it. But, let's face it. Sylenth1 is still 165 €, and Serum is still $189.

Stefken wrote:
Zexila wrote: Yeah, they both nailed it
In your opinion, friend. I much prefer Icarus and would sell Serum in a heartbeat if my license wasn't NFR.
(When I bought it, there was no rent-to-own and I didn't pay much attention to reselling then).
Of course, everything I write is my opinion, that goes without saying, still there's huge market outside of KVR where Serum is king of the hill, where U-He is niche and where people never heard about Icarus, that people buy Serum and Sylenth, they buy presets to sound like stuff we mock around here, let's face it, that people are driving force for Xfer, Lennar Digital, Ableton, Image Line and insert any product that tops that popularity contests we mock around here.

Also love you guys, this place is great escape sometimes, some of you guys make this place really enjoyable. :hug:

Ok. Now go play with your teenage friends (play some GTA or whatever) and let the adults talk, OK....

yeah serum don’t make money. it needs a sale.

Stefken wrote:Ok. Now go play with your teenage friends (play some GTA or whatever) and let the adults talk, OK....
I'm sorry if I offended you in some way, but that is not how adult behave, totally uncalled for, really had nice time chatting with you guys far away from all the problems and everything, like most of you I got Facebook/etc. and joined some groups and I visit some other places, so that's my observation of todays market.

Return to “Instruments”