Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Harry_HH
KVRAF

2831 posts since 4 Aug, 2006, from Helsinki

Postby Harry_HH; Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:23 am Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

I purchased my D-28 in Atlanta, when I happned to find a very affordable, used one in a local guitarstore.

Of course D-28, or any Martin, belongs to all (many) guitar players wishlist.

But where does the name dreadnought come from?

When C.F. Martin & Co. built their innovative large-body guitars in the early 1900s, they wanted to give them a name synonymous with enormity. So they were named dreadnoughts, after HMS Dreadnought, a World War I era British battleship.

First dreadnoughts were manufactured in 1916, but the D-28 was born years later, in 1931. Martin wanted a big sound, that demand came from the orchester guitarists.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought_(1906)
Teksonik
KVRAF

11427 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:35 am Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

Because I dread paying that much for an acoustic guitar and I'm nought going to buy one ? :borg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_(guitar_type)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bombadil
KVRAF

1782 posts since 31 Aug, 2013, from The Schwarzwald of My Mind

Postby Bombadil; Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:11 pm Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

Luv my D-28! Worth every farthing.
“Not all who wander are lost.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
Aloysius
KVRAF

21907 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:15 pm Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

Bombadil wrote:...Worth farting.

:?:
I didn't get where I am today.
Bombadil
KVRAF

1782 posts since 31 Aug, 2013, from The Schwarzwald of My Mind

Postby Bombadil; Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:20 pm Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

Worth every dinarius!
“Not all who wander are lost.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
fedexnman
KVRAF

2344 posts since 3 Jan, 2005

Postby fedexnman; Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:46 pm Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

Fun thread .... Dreadnaught it's a type big boat or ship that had big loud cannons or guns ... Some bluegrass players will bragg about a guitar being a cannon " loud " dreadnaught ! .... Anyways dreadnaught is a bluegrass shape guitar made to be loud and heard over banjos ,fiddles , and other loud bluegrass instruments ...etc.. etc .. now today with modern stage mics , pickups and P.A.s the dreadnaught is really not needed for volume ( cannon fire ) I like the dreadnaught shape I have an Alvarez MD65 ... It's cedar top and mahogany back n sides ... It's loud like a Martin , I played many in the store before I decided on it even tried the D35 and D28 ... I really prefer the HD28 and HD35 Martin's over the regular D series ...
Allot has to do with the internal bracing of the top that's inside the guitar , placement and shaving etc etc .... Make the tone and volume ....Personally I like the looks of the Grand Auditorium shape that Taylor ,Breedlove , and Alvarez do . And I dislike cutaways ... I used to like them in the 90s , I also hate black , plastic , and gold plated hardware and knobs , nuts and saddles .. graphtec is ok .
Scrubbing Monkeys
KVRian

561 posts since 21 Apr, 2017, from Bahia, Brazil

Postby Scrubbing Monkeys; Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:19 pm Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

oooo cool thread.

I have a Martin D 62 . It is kind of odd ball. Its a D18 with beautiful tiger maple back and sides. Martin dreads are perfect for playing and singing. they are scooped in the mids allowing your voice to come through while projecting a good bit of bass and shimmering highs. Not for the blues player. but great all round instrument.
digitalboytn
KVRian

1153 posts since 7 Dec, 2008, from Global Cowboy

Postby digitalboytn; Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:26 pm Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

I actually prefer the D18...

But my favourite Martin is the OM28v....

That one is a funking cannon :wink:
Sorry - I don't use auto-tune....
fedexnman
KVRAF

Postby fedexnman; Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:29 pm Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

Yeah , Martin's ...... I'd like to buy a used HD35 .... or a used Alvarez Yairi DYMR70SB too . I bought a Guild D20 recently and hated it , nothing like a Guild D25CH from early 1970s ..... I'm gonna Google the D62
fedexnman
KVRAF

Postby fedexnman; Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:37 pm Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

Haven't played a D18 yet but it has the forward shifted scalloped bracing that the pre war and also the HD 28 n HD 35 have . $1800 or less used ain't bad ...
digitalboytn
KVRian

Postby digitalboytn; Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:59 pm Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

I thought that only the OM's had the "foward shifted bracing" ?

There's a bit of BS to do with that...

They had to move the sound hole back to accommodate the 25.4" scale length,so they called it foward shifted bracing :wink:

I had a couple of OM 28's custom made for me with Tasmanian blackwood back and sides,AAAA German spruce tops and ebony fingerboards and bridges...

They were sensational guitars and a great tax deduction :wink:

Unfortunately,one was smashed by the airlines on my way into LAX one time and the other one was stolen in a major burglary :(
Hermetech Mastering
KVRian

933 posts since 30 May, 2003, from Paris

Postby Hermetech Mastering; Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:11 pm Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

Large Jumbos for the win, looking at the Lowden O shape... :)
digitalboytn
KVRian

Postby digitalboytn; Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:50 am Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Large Jumbos for the win, looking at the Lowden O shape... :)

Just watch the size of those Lowden jumbos...

I had a nice one,but they do give you a twitch in the shoulder....

Just like the girl was heard to say once...

"An extra inch can mean the difference between pleasure and pain" :wink:
Hermetech Mastering
KVRian

933 posts since 30 May, 2003, from Paris

Postby Hermetech Mastering; Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:41 am Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

Cheers, going to a couple of shops in the UK over the next few weeks that have over 75 Lowdens in stock between them (Peach Music and Coda Music), so will get to hone in on exactly which size and wood combo works for me. It might be that the O is just too big. :)
fedexnman
KVRAF

Postby fedexnman; Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:36 am Re: Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

Lowdens are sweet .... And they look cool too .
Next

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)