Format 16-32

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

when I open a file in Acoustica, e.g. 16/44.1 CD format, the format says "16 bit PCM". That is OK. But when I do some editing on that file (normalize, some plugin etc.), is the editing done in 32 bit float despite the original format is described as 16 bit? That would be the best behavior. Of course I'll then save it as 24 bit (with dither) or 32 bit float.

Or must I first save it in 32 bit float to do editing in 32 float with full acuracy?

Thanks

Jan

Hi Jan,
jumpingjackflash5 wrote:Hello,

when I open a file in Acoustica, e.g. 16/44.1 CD format, the format says "16 bit PCM". That is OK. But when I do some editing on that file (normalize, some plugin etc.), is the editing done in 32 bit float despite the original format is described as 16 bit? That would be the best behavior. Of course I'll then save it as 24 bit (with dither) or 32 bit float.

Or must I first save it in 32 bit float to do editing in 32 float with full acuracy?
Acoustica always processes with 32 bit floating point accuracy and the resolution indicator is only when saving the processed file. If you plan to do further processing, I would recommend to use "Save As..." and change the resolution to 32 bit floating point.

Best,
Stian

OK, so even when opening 16 bit file it processes also with 32 bit float, If I wanna preserve that I must save in 32 bit float after editing, or dither to lower bit depth.

Thank you!

Jan

Return to “Acon Digital”