Changing pickups from singelcoil to humbucker

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Periphery
KVRist
45 posts since 7 Jul, 2016

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:32 am

Hi there!

So I just ordered a Chapman ML3 Pro Shadow Image

And I'm thinking of changing the bridge pickup to a humbucker in singelcoil format! I've seen some videos where people does this but do I need to change the pots or anything else in the guitar for this to work? I've modified a couple of guitars/basses myself but never changed a singelcoil to a humbucker.

I've got a Lundgren 60's neck pickup that's going in the neck position.

All this after I've tried the stock PU's thoroughly ofcourse! But I think from what I've heard from them that I want to change them. And it would be cool with a Lil' 59 or something at bridge position.

Any tips are of great value! Thank you guys!

NTO
KVRist
98 posts since 8 Feb, 2011

Re: Changing pickups from singelcoil to humbucker

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:49 am

Many HB's are tied internally, and will appear as a single pair to solder at the same pot pins. Optimum pot/cap values may vary... :roll:

Periphery
KVRist

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 am

NTO wrote:Many HB's are tied internally, and will appear as a single pair to solder at the same pot pins. Optimum pot/cap values may vary... :roll:
I know that you can use a humbucker with a 250k pot for instance. But maybe the need of treble is greater with a humbucker than with a single coil. But is there something else to consider when choosing pots then? Is it just trial and error? :cry:

If there's some sort of science to choosing pots I would greatly appreciate any input in the subject since it seems like you know something about the subject. Your answer didn't help me much tbh :hihi:

If there's a forum where these kind of questions would fit better I'd appreciate a tip!

Winstontaneous
KVRian
1384 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am

I'd personally look for a 4-wire humbucker to get series/parallel/single coil options.

Is the Lundgren neck PU single coil or humbucker?

Periphery
KVRist

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:19 am

Winstontaneous wrote:I'd personally look for a 4-wire humbucker to get series/parallel/single coil options.

Is the Lundgren neck PU single coil or humbucker?
Good idea!

It's a single coil for neck position! :)

NTO
KVRist
98 posts since 8 Feb, 2011

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:31 am

Winstontaneous wrote:I'd personally look for a 4-wire humbucker to get series/parallel/single coil options.
Now you're into switching too! :o
Maybe start here...
https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_R ... iring.html

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”