your "super-synth" ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
pdxindy
KVRAF
13879 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Julien Unison wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Oh, and speaking of the new generation of softsynths... Here is a simple audio clip from RePro-5. It is not clean or tame...

https://draigathar.org/sounds/RePro5-3.mp3

Seriously, can you share this as a preset here ? Or explain how you proceeded to end with this amazing sound ? Is it only Repro5 or have you added some other plugs for distortion etc ?
And what did you used to perform it ? A classic master keybord controller ? Something as a ruban or a different expressive tool ?
Doubt I even have that preset anymore... It's RePro-5 only... Mono unison maybe 3 voices. Played it on my Linnstrument in realtime.

nocturnal owl
KVRist
172 posts since 17 Feb, 2016 from west coast somewhere USA....

Re: your "super-synth" ?

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:01 pm

My super synth is 100+ so instances of OnePingOnly individually modulated and controlled by midi cc. Mapped to expression wheel wiggled by pinky finger, rock it all day. :love:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/onepin ... electronix

sleepcircle
KVRist
265 posts since 28 Nov, 2016

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:12 pm

toine6 wrote:So Synth1 is kind of my current supersynth, but I'd also say that a nice Sampletank kind of synth that give you a wide pallet quickly and easily, in a Swiss Army knife kinda way, is more my Desert Island synth.

Okay, so that wasn't sexy enough for those of your reading to quench your severe gear lust titilations.
no dog, i'm ALL about hearing stuff like that. my "supersynth" might be repro, but i love other stuff too. old sample banks from the 90s, acid bass vsts from 2001, all that good stuff. every sound has its place. and synth1 was good enough for people for years--it's not like it's suddenly stopped being good at making music.

izonin
KVRian
1140 posts since 27 Oct, 2009

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:36 pm

Hardware: Virus
Software: Spire, Viper

hivkorn
KVRAF
2753 posts since 6 Sep, 2007 from France

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:43 pm

i don't know this synth "virus" , maybe i 'm too young to know it...
Mine super hardware synth is MicroBrute from Arturia , i know very well this b*stard , just like my Dark Energy 2 , but i own a Korg mini ms 20 and it's cool but not my favorite , i wish i 'd chose the Moog Taurus instead....no regret one day i will have a Taurus :D

what is the 'viper' synth ?

recursive one
KVRAF
3657 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:08 pm

hivkorn wrote:i don't know this synth "virus" , maybe i 'm too young to know it...
ok, lets face it... i'm too fkn old :?
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...

gentleclockdivider
KVRian
1146 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:52 pm

toine6 wrote:I spent the last 25 years collecting gear and have an out of control pile of stuff... Not to mention 5,000 zillion VST's. But at some point it became... The shit kiddie piano the neighbor kid threw in the sandbox can get the job done fine, my latest vintage phattt analog Neve transformered multi-optional DSP proprietary integrated and hack enhanced rewritten burned OS chip with 1 terrabyte circuit bent butt prober.... ain't really all that. The $3.26 thrift store clinky thing will get 90% of my time today, with laptop mic, neighborhood train, birds, and A/C fans, blaring away in the background. If it sounds good, it is good. Granted, it you're aiming to be the next Yanni or Classical composer your mileage may vary, you probably need a proper set-up. But I'm not tied to any certain standard, genre, or artistic box.

I usually find it more productive to go into things with a NOT GIVING A f**k attitude. Don't second guess it. Frankly, lots of noise and background foobar and cheap gear can add a lot of little exciting gremlins. That's not to say I don't have my moments of gearlust and appreciate my higher-end gear, but it doesn't stop me from seizing the moment and using whatever is at hand, without second guessing. I don't need to wait until I'm in a sterilized environment before I can put a dash of noise on a blank slate.

I honestly don't have a supersynth. Hell, I dispmissed Synth1 for YEARS AND YEARS because it was free, basic, didn't look pretty, and because I have everything already. I finally gave it a go a couple years ago because it had a pile of presets that people had made over the years. It quickly became a loved synth because it's so light on resources, there are many decent presets to get you started, and it's quick to work with, it's simple but you can still get pretty crafty. Recently, I've read people saying Synth1 was good in it's day, but it's time has passed. Listen, I've got the latest 8x oversampled and finely tuned analog modeled blah blah synths and I barely touch them, they are resource hogs and clog up too many frequencies that you have to EQ out anyway. They will give you auditory coronary disease. Frankly, I'd rather have 10 Synth1's running smooth and being used at full capacity with chords and arps and pads that lack a TAD BIT of clarity or harmonics... Sure beats the "SEIZE YOUR WHOLE SYSTEM AND BLOW THE CIRCUIT BREAKER IN THE HOUSE AFTER 1 NOTE" P.O.S..

So Synth1 is kind of my current supersynth, but I'd also say that a nice Sampletank kind of synth that give you a wide pallet quickly and easily, in a Swiss Army knife kinda way, is more my Desert Island synth.

Okay, so that wasn't sexy enough for those of your reading to quench your severe gear lust titilations. So if we just want to get greasy hardcore about it... My Korg Monologue can bounce PHAT fury balls of lube BANGING bASS, all over my bedroom. To my ears, it's the analog sound I've been lusting after for all these years. I've had plenty of other analog synths, but quickly learned that often analog is not what you envisioned it to be. The added overdrive is a game changer, rude and nice character filter, I like how mean and lean everything is, while still including some well chosen special features like microtuning and micro-sequencer. It's not for everyone, but it sure sounds good to me. It's hard to get excited about a small monosynth, but it's a ton of fun and the sound is top notch.
I hear you , synth one is great , the latest filter that was added sounds great too.
It get's things done quickly , is not a cpu hog and still sounds good ..
I have a nord modular and re-created synth 1 on it , including the effects ( synth 1 was modelled after the nord lead 2 ) .
So my secret synths are NOrd modular + reaktor ..and synth 1 still finds it's use ..
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider
KVRian
1146 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:52 pm

toine6 wrote:I spent the last 25 years collecting gear and have an out of control pile of stuff... Not to mention 5,000 zillion VST's. But at some point it became... The shit kiddie piano the neighbor kid threw in the sandbox can get the job done fine, my latest vintage phattt analog Neve transformered multi-optional DSP proprietary integrated and hack enhanced rewritten burned OS chip with 1 terrabyte circuit bent butt prober.... ain't really all that. The $3.26 thrift store clinky thing will get 90% of my time today, with laptop mic, neighborhood train, birds, and A/C fans, blaring away in the background. If it sounds good, it is good. Granted, it you're aiming to be the next Yanni or Classical composer your mileage may vary, you probably need a proper set-up. But I'm not tied to any certain standard, genre, or artistic box.

I usually find it more productive to go into things with a NOT GIVING A f**k attitude. Don't second guess it. Frankly, lots of noise and background foobar and cheap gear can add a lot of little exciting gremlins. That's not to say I don't have my moments of gearlust and appreciate my higher-end gear, but it doesn't stop me from seizing the moment and using whatever is at hand, without second guessing. I don't need to wait until I'm in a sterilized environment before I can put a dash of noise on a blank slate.

I honestly don't have a supersynth. Hell, I dispmissed Synth1 for YEARS AND YEARS because it was free, basic, didn't look pretty, and because I have everything already. I finally gave it a go a couple years ago because it had a pile of presets that people had made over the years. It quickly became a loved synth because it's so light on resources, there are many decent presets to get you started, and it's quick to work with, it's simple but you can still get pretty crafty. Recently, I've read people saying Synth1 was good in it's day, but it's time has passed. Listen, I've got the latest 8x oversampled and finely tuned analog modeled blah blah synths and I barely touch them, they are resource hogs and clog up too many frequencies that you have to EQ out anyway. They will give you auditory coronary disease. Frankly, I'd rather have 10 Synth1's running smooth and being used at full capacity with chords and arps and pads that lack a TAD BIT of clarity or harmonics... Sure beats the "SEIZE YOUR WHOLE SYSTEM AND BLOW THE CIRCUIT BREAKER IN THE HOUSE AFTER 1 NOTE" P.O.S..

So Synth1 is kind of my current supersynth, but I'd also say that a nice Sampletank kind of synth that give you a wide pallet quickly and easily, in a Swiss Army knife kinda way, is more my Desert Island synth.

Okay, so that wasn't sexy enough for those of your reading to quench your severe gear lust titilations. So if we just want to get greasy hardcore about it... My Korg Monologue can bounce PHAT fury balls of lube BANGING bASS, all over my bedroom. To my ears, it's the analog sound I've been lusting after for all these years. I've had plenty of other analog synths, but quickly learned that often analog is not what you envisioned it to be. The added overdrive is a game changer, rude and nice character filter, I like how mean and lean everything is, while still including some well chosen special features like microtuning and micro-sequencer. It's not for everyone, but it sure sounds good to me. It's hard to get excited about a small monosynth, but it's a ton of fun and the sound is top notch.
I hear you , synth one is great , the latest filter that was added sounds great too.
It get's things done quickly , is not a cpu hog and still sounds good ..
I have a nord modular and re-created synth 1 on it , including the effects ( synth 1 was modelled after the nord lead 2 ) .
So my secret synths are NOrd modular + reaktor ..and synth 1 still finds it's use ..
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

izonin
KVRian
1140 posts since 27 Oct, 2009

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:53 pm

hivkorn wrote:i don't know this synth "virus" , maybe i 'm too young to know it...

what is the 'viper' synth ?
Viper is the soft clone of the Virus. They both are what we call VU synths (Virtually Unknown).

SMH
KVRist
179 posts since 22 Feb, 2017

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:24 pm

CrystalWizard
KVRian
609 posts since 10 Jul, 2008 from Orbiti sw usa

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:56 pm

My supersynth: whichever one i am inspired to play at the moment.
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness

Silaris
KVRist
233 posts since 15 Jan, 2003 from USA

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:08 pm

For me, it is UVI Falcon and Steinberg HALion 6.

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
2810 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 pm

Serum does by far everything I need. It also havs some gimmicky features, such as image resynthesis, which I would love to try but didn't have time yet. Too many synths, too few project done! :help:
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

classic
KVRAF
1562 posts since 26 Jul, 2004

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:44 pm

Is Zebra2. Would like to have some sort of wave import also. Combined with its warm sound would be delicious.

skyscape
KVRist
141 posts since 23 Oct, 2005 from Australia

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:16 am

I keep returning to Absynth, amazingly deep and versatile. If the UI was modernized and the effects section updated and could be stacked I think it could quite possibly be the perfect synth.

Return to “Instruments”