RELATED
PRODUCTS

For Trance and Edm

1) Nexus 2

2) Avenger

3) Spire

4) Hive

I had Sylenth 1, an excellent Vst.

Massive even if not yet, but, considering the 50% I will buy it. A sacred monster.

Regarding Massive, who knows, maybe very soon a new version, it would be great news, even if still very relevant, it dates a little

IDM is the dumbest label ever applied to any genre of music. Imagine calling a type of music “intelligent”. What arrogant ass decided their taste in music was intelligent. And yeah, not even mostly dance music.

I think of EDM as a sub genre of the broader electronica. Simply because it is dance oriented, as the name suggests.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:IDM is the dumbest label ever applied to any genre of music. Imagine calling a type of music “intelligent”. What arrogant ass decided their taste in music was intelligent. And yeah, not even mostly dance music.

I think of EDM as a sub genre of the broader electronica. Simply because it is dance oriented, as the name suggests.
Totally agree. Just like "intelligent dum 'n bass"... :? Always found it arrogant. But it doesn't help to avoid genres because of a silly name if looking for good new music.
And also - most EDM music is dumb. Simple 3-note melodies with a fat sound for the masses.
So, despite sounding arrogant, I think it's rather meant as an opposite of mindless party music.

chk071 wrote:
Grizzellda wrote:
chk071 wrote:And, the new generation of soft synths or hardware VA also all come with a clean, tame, and boring sound i don't like it.
Well, now you are getting esoteric, dude. Because modern synths are so highly programmable and configurable...

Also, the sound output of those synths can be so much further modified by FX.

What do you like...might be the question? :hihi:
So, in your opinion, people used to choose a Minimoog, because it has quite a potential to change its sound, plus it could get further modified with fx?

Don't take it personal, that's a general attitude i just don't get, on this or other forums. ;) I choose synths for their sound. Not their potential to get mangle with effects.
Well, I think even in those days folks were running those synths thru effects. But back then the choice for varied synths was more limited than nowadays. Musicians were quite likely excited with what they had, it was all so new!

Just mixing in a raw type of synth, (like a moog), amidst a guitar rock song was something super new & cool. There is a documentary online about EMS...and the guy from Hawkwind is talking about how awesome it was to have a synth along with the regular rock band stuff. At the time it was prolly mindblowing! And they were prolly on drugs! But still...

So alright, maybe back then folks listened more closely to the pure sound of a synth. The oscillators, filters & envelopes. Is this what you mean?

Seems everyone here is just posting their favorites. That's fine, but a "super-synth" is one that can do everything. And the only real answers to that are either Avenger, Omnisphere, or Falcon. None of which I own, by the way, as I see them as almost cheap since they are too powerful, but I have to admit that these synths are far more powerful than any other and would be defined as super synths.

no synth can do everything.

sleepcircle wrote:no synth can do everything.
indeed... the more complex synths tend to give up ease of use

Cinebient wrote:.......
But the only really super synth is if i combine them all in my DAW with my favorite FX and midi FX on top.
Against some nice layered sounds all single synths are boring.
Sounds like : A violin sounds boring VS a String Section, and a Soprano Sax VS a Brass Section ...

Whatever layered or single : People behind the synths make them sing. Or less. :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Right now, U-He Repro-5 is getting some use....

@op
I'd suggest trying out U-he Hive, and Repro1&5
Those are my favorites atm, and have been for some time now.

Outside of the analog realm:
- Tone 2 Gladiator for HipHop/ Trap
- UHE Diva for Bass Sounds (in the mix sounds way better than most synths)
- NI Massive for electronic/ wonky/ la beat scene type sounds
- Sylenth for modern electronic/ radio sounding stuff
https://www.likenoorange.com
Premium Sound Sets and ReFills

Outside the analog realm:
- Tone2 Gladiator for HipHop/ Trap
- UHE Diva for Bass (sounds way better than most synths in the mix for this)
- NI Massive for electronic/ wonky/ la beat scene sounds
- Sylenth for modern electronic

That being said getting just one or two decent softsynths and really learning them is much better than having 4 or 5 or 10 different plugins.
https://www.likenoorange.com
Premium Sound Sets and ReFills

confusedmuse wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
fanodu1 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
fanodu1 wrote:
dellboy wrote:KVR, being KVR, probably means EDM
What makes you think most people here make EDM? After spending some time here I don't have that impression at all.
Go to the One Synth Challenge threads over the past few years and go listen to all the entries. The majority are EDM. That's how people get the impression that most people here do EDM. Doesn't necessarily mean it's true, but it's easy to understand why people feel that way.
I don't know about your definition of EDM but most music people post in the OSC challenges don't sound very "EDM" at all, in fact a lot of it is rather experimental music and ambient stuff. I've heard dnb songs, the odd hip hop beat, jazz, psytrance and even progressive rock and music I can't even assign a genre to. There is quite a variety of music the people make here which is why I think calling this a mainly EDM community seems unreasonable.
Well that depends upon how broad or narrow your definition of EDM is. Sure, there are numerous sub genres. Just go to Wikipedia. My definition is broad. Yours may be narrow. I go by mine and what I think of when I think of EDM.
I'm pretty sure he confused it with IDM.
EDM= Electronic Dance Music. David Guetta like stuff. Party music for the masses.
IDM= Intelligent Dance Music, but while meanwhile most in the scene rather refer to it as "Electronica", since it's not generally dance oriented.
Electronica works for me. Point is, that's essentially what the OSC is made of. One guy does some old school jazz and pop but for the most part, the OSC is consistent across the board with very few exceptions.

I love falcon and use it for most things, it feels like a modular minus the hassle. I don't think it has usability issues, though sometimes it feels like overkill when I just want a simple buzzy sound.

When falcon doesn't do what I'm wanting, I typically go for dx7 v or zynaddsubfx. I like FM and falcon's fm is just okay. Zyn's oscilator customization is like nothing else I've ever seen, like sytrus but crazier.

Lotuzia wrote:
Cinebient wrote:.......
But the only really super synth is if i combine them all in my DAW with my favorite FX and midi FX on top.
Against some nice layered sounds all single synths are boring.
Sounds like : A violin sounds boring VS a String Section, and a Soprano Sax VS a Brass Section ...

Whatever layered or single : People behind the synths make them sing. Or less. :shrug:
Sure and 1 + 1 = 3

Return to “Instruments”