Denise announce the launch of the "New York Compressor"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, our team here at Denise are pleased to announce the launch of our second plug-in, the Denise New York Compressor. We're offering a trial of the plug-in to test it out for yourselves, just go to: http://www.denise.io to download the trial. I've included quite a detailed description of the plug-in below but feel free to ask any questions in the thread.

DESCRIPTION:

The Denise New York Compressor is a straightforward NY-style compressor for making percussive loops, beats and drums sound more powerful. Set to its default settings, you can quickly dial in the recognizable explosive and punchy sound associated with this particular style of compression. But the Denise New York Compressor has a trick up its sleeve: a continuous RMS-time control. Usually, generic compressors only give you the choice between peak and RMS set to a fixed length of 30ms. However, having a continuous RMS-time control, allows you to easily fine tune the compression to create maximal impact. Together with its different timbre styles, vintage option and stereo linking, the Denise New York Compressor is a powerful tool to quickly give your mix that much sought-after explosive and punchy sound.

Mix (0% to 100%):

Mixes between the clean signal and the compressed signal, allowing you to apply the compression in parallel.

INPUT (-24dB to 24dB):

Input gain that lets you boost or attenuate the signal going in, giving you more control over the signal.

OUTPUT (-24dB to 24dB):

Output gain to manually compensate for the volume decrease caused by the compression effect.

COMPRESSION (0% to 100%):

Lowers the threshold of the internal compression algorithm, to intensify the compression effect.

RMS-TIME (0ms to 500ms):

A continuous RMS-time control to fine tune the sound of the compression.

STYLE (dark / natural / bright):

A menu that lets you choose different timbres, allowing you to specify the timbre of the compression.

LINK (on/off):

A switch that allows you to link the left and right channel saturation, allowing you to preserve the stereo image of your track.

VINTAGE (on/off):

A switch that makes the compression sound more vintage and old school by adding a saturation stage to the compression algorithm.

USE CASES:

1. "You like the NY-style sound of a particular compressor, but it doesn't seem to produce the extreme explosive and punchy sound you are looking for." Most compressors have an RMS function set to a fixed length of 30ms, limiting your options to fine tune the compressors internal detection signal to the particular track. Compensating for this with the attack and release features usually does more harm than good. The Denise New York Compressor features a continuous RMS-time control, ranging from 0ms to 500ms, allowing you to easily fine tune the compression to your track or bus-group and create maximal impact.

2. "You are trying to get the New York compression sound by using a compressor, but it's just not sounding right." The recognizable NY-style compression sound requires a combination of specific features that is oftentimes not available, and specific settings that are oftentimes hard to dial in, due to the great diversity in available compression algorithm implementations. The Denise New York Compressor handles this all for you behind the scenes, giving you additional control only over the features that work together well with this specific compression style.

3. "You managed to achieve the NY-style sound you were looking for with a compressor, but it sounds clean and digital without any way to tweak it." Most compressors that do feature the necessary combination of features for NY-style compression are the traditional 'digital compressors'. The Denise New York Compressor allows you to switch to 'vintage' mode and lets you select between different timbres to add a specific coloration and analog vibe to your sound.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Denise Audio - Shape your sound
--------------------------------------------
www.deniseaudio.com

If you are a press contact and would like to feature the New York compressor release, we now have a dedicated press page on our website with a press release, images and videos for your blog.

Head to: https://bit.ly/2MCIRJQ

Many thanks,
Joe London
www.deniseaudio.com

Denise.Audio wrote:STYLE (dark / natural / bright):

A menu that lets you choose different timbres, allowing you to specify the timbre of the compression.
Please add an option with the typical EQ bumps high AND low.

Etienne1973 wrote:
Denise.Audio wrote:STYLE (dark / natural / bright):

Please add an option with the typical EQ bumps high AND low.
Hi Etienne1973,

Thanks for your message and I'm interested to read your blog post. The Denise New York Compressor has been designed with specific features to replicate the NY compression style. I am not the developer, but I can certainly ask the developer about this particular eq if you like?

Thanks,
Joe
www.deniseaudio.com

Hi Joe :-)

The high AND low EQ boosts are typical for the legendary NY compression. (See/hear: Bobby Owsinski) At least with acoustic drums. Perhaps not so important with heavy pre-processed electronic drums. However it could be a good argument for your product and makes it complete. Because other compressors advertised as NY comps are mainly only parallel compressors. So please contact your developer. Thanks.

Best regards,
Etienne

Hey, I actually know this tutorial. I watched it a few years ago when I was trying to improve my own drum processing technique.

I'll get back to you when I know more.

Nice one,
Joe London.
www.deniseaudio.com

Really nice plug I`d say!

fair price, just bought.

Does what it does very well. It feels like adjusting well programmed/ weighted macros rather than tweaky controls (as seems to be the aim of the plug). You can hone in fairly easily on what sounds good, and then if you need to back off later or push it harder it doesn`t all fall apart, controls seem to transition well!

Having said that, It would be nice to have a variable control/ mix on the vintage mode, sometimes saturation is a little too much.

Also mouse wheel support on the Bright/ Natural/ Dark modes could be nice... I`m liking bright mode on claps btw!

Just a final `nice to know` question: what is your transfer policy please? (might be more relevant if you put out more expensive stuff in the future :) )

4tune wrote:Really nice plug I`d say!

fair price, just bought.

Does what it does very well. It feels like adjusting well programmed/ weighted macros rather than tweaky controls (as seems to be the aim of the plug). You can hone in fairly easily on what sounds good, and then if you need to back off later or push it harder it doesn`t all fall apart, controls seem to transition well!

Having said that, It would be nice to have a variable control/ mix on the vintage mode, sometimes saturation is a little too much.

Also mouse wheel support on the Bright/ Natural/ Dark modes could be nice... I`m liking bright mode on claps btw!

Just a final `nice to know` question: what is your transfer policy please? (might be more relevant if you put out more expensive stuff in the future :) )
Hi 4tune, first of all, thanks for your purchase and feedback.

you are not the first person to ask about a way to bland the effects between the bright/dark/natural. This request is with our developer and we are talking about it at the moment. Although, you are the first person to ask about a blend in the vintage mode, I'll raise it though.

Transfer policy...We are currently working on a licence platform for our plug-ins, and more...So keep an eye out for that. But for now just request it by email.

Best,
Joe
www.deniseaudio.com

Thanks for getting back Joe,

appreciate the update about transfer policy!

Thanks for considering the suggestions, I`ll be keeping an eye to see if/how things develop!

Hi all,

It's JD here, the lead plug-in developer at Denise. Thank you guys for taking the time to discuss our New York Compressor plug-in in such detail; you are raising some interesting points about the EQ boost option. I wanted to share my thoughts with you about this, and ask you for your input :)

For this first series of Denise plug-ins, we set out to create simple but powerful tools with a specific sound and a minimal amount of controls. In case of the New York Compressor we have not added these two filters, for which are three reasons:

1. I didn't feel the compressor was lacking any feature like this, using it in my own workflow. However, you guys make a strong argument, and I can see how this feature could be very useful (in the way Bobby Owsinski describes it). In light of my two other points below, I'm curious about your suggestions.

2. Because the plug-in processes in parallel internally, I would say it is important to create these EQ boosts with linear phase filters. If you do not, the altered phase of the filtered wet signal will influence the tonal balance of the dry signal, which can make the plug-in behave unpredictable. Using linear phase filters would introduce a higher cpu load and latency. How do you feel about this regular / linear-phase dilemma in this case?

3. For creating these EQ boosts, I would want full control over the EQ boosts, in terms of frequency, shape and gain. Personally, I think it is not very useful to just have an on/off option for this EQ boost. I would want to tweak it in more detail to optimize. (Of course you could perhaps mix the filters' gain in with the 'mix' or 'compression' control or something like that, but then both filter gains would be locked together, and the total amount of filtering would be locked to one of the other controls).

We are considering releasing a different range of products in the future, which will include much more features and flexibility. At this time, it would be possible to create an update with an additional single on/off control to apply these filters to the wet signal, but I feel just this feature doesn't give the amount of control I would like producing music myself. With that in mind, what would you prefer:

Option 1: just add an on/off control that applies the EQ boost on the wet signal, after the compression. If you prefer this option, I'm curious about your suggestions for the exact filter settings: frequency, gain and shape. A screenhot of an EQ curve would be helpful, because Q-settings will translate differently for different filters. (I've looked into it, and found a low-cpu and zero-latency way of approximating this EQ boost with a linear phase subtractive multiband scheme.)

Option 2: add a filter section to the plug-in that gives you control over both low and high filter's frequency and gain. For zero-latency/linear-phase, the shape of the filter would be fixed. However, if regular filters or more cpu-heavy/latency linear phase filters are acceptable, also the shape and filter type could be included.

Option 3: some alternative or combination of the ideas above :) Perhaps with other features exposed as well for the actual compression settings that are now all set behind the scenes, like ratio, attack, release and knee-width.

So, a bit of a long reply, but I am curious about your ideas. I don't have a lot of time to spend on the forum, but I will look into any cool ideas for the New York Compressor that are sent my way :):

Have a good day!

JD Young
Author of Home Studio Mastering: a straightforward guide for musicians with a home studio who want to do their own mastering. Got to www.homestudiomastering.com for more info.

Hi JD :) A dedicated Fuse Audio EQ, going by all the plugins you have released so far, would probably be great and may well get plenty of use from me :hyper: . But I can't personally see any advantage to adding an EQ onto the New York Compressor plugin. If I was after the EQ boosts that have been described I would use one of my own EQs to add to the audio channel after the New York Compressor. Far more likely to get the sound I am after by using the EQs I own rather than using just a built in EQ on the New York Compressor plugin.
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

JD Young wrote:It's JD here, the lead plug-in developer at Denise.
Interesting. Mr. Soundspot is the lead dev at Denise...

:help:

Hi JD :-)

Option 1 I prefer. In addition to Dark/Natural/Bright add a mode called Classic. Low shelf @ 100Hz with 3dB boost and high shelf @ 10kHz with 3dB boost.
hesnotthemessiah wrote:If I was after the EQ boosts that have been described I would use one of my own EQs to add to the audio channel after the New York Compressor. Far more likely to get the sound I am after by using the EQs I own rather than using just a built in EQ on the New York Compressor plugin.
Trick is that only the wet signal is affect by the EQ. Main advantage of this Denise NY Compression plugin is exactly that it's all in one w/o the need to route parallel in your DAW.

Etienne1973 wrote:Hi JD :-)

Option 1 I prefer. In addition to Dark/Natural/Bright add a mode called Classic. Low shelf @ 100Hz with 3dB boost and high shelf @ 10kHz with 3dB boost.
hesnotthemessiah wrote:If I was after the EQ boosts that have been described I would use one of my own EQs to add to the audio channel after the New York Compressor. Far more likely to get the sound I am after by using the EQs I own rather than using just a built in EQ on the New York Compressor plugin.
Trick is that only the wet signal is affect by the EQ. Main advantage of this Denise NY Compression plugin is exactly that it's all in one w/o the need to route parallel in your DAW.
Good point Etienne1973 :dog: I would still prefer to choose from my own EQs though.

Just had a brainwave........this could be fantastic.......the New York Compressor plugin with the option to load any third party plugins pre and post compression :hyper: . No parallel routing within your DAW required. So signal splits into two - one straight in and out of the New York Compressor plugin (via the mix dial) and the other to the pre compression plugins, then the compressor, then the post compression plugins, then the mix dial. Allowing the user to load multiple third party plugins both pre and post compression within the New York Compressor GUI could open up so many opportunities to experiment. You could put 2 EQs pre and/or post compression. Even add other fx pre/post compression :wheee:

How about even loading third party plugins into the non-compressed audio channels of the New York Compressor plugin? You could emphasis certain frequencies via the New York Style Compression and EQ and then EQ out certain frequencies on the uncompressed signal and mix all that down within the New York Compressor plugin :party:

PM me for my royalty payment details.

I have got to lie down for a bit.
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

Return to “Effects”