Could I have some feedback on this ?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,
I am working on this track and would like some feedback from you guys. Im still busy with the creative part, and this is also one of the few tracks I could take so far since I have problems finishing. Genre is Progressive house.
I was hoping to find a vocal for the breakdowns, so still working on that.

Please be honest, since Im still in a learning progress.

https://soundcloud.com/kelvinklein-1/test-1

That bass you got influences the groove of the track, it slowed it down, remove it entirely from breakdown and on other taught, reconsider changing it entirely.

You need more hats and percussions to give more movement to the drop, more energy.

Other than that, dig the composition. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:That bass you got influences the groove of the track, it slowed it down, remove it entirely from breakdown and on other taught, reconsider changing it entirely.

You need more hats and percussions to give more movement to the drop, more energy.

Other than that, dig the composition. :tu:
You mean the bass in the drop I guess? Maybe only with a sub bass following the lead would be cool?
OK will try some percussion on the drop thx man. Really appreciate your advice you have giving me the last couple of days

Bass trough whole track, but his presence in breakdown, I think he should appear only in drop, this way it drags whole thing and groove is pretty much static because of it.

My pleasure. :hug:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:Bass trough whole track...
confirmed. bass is lacking, and ditch the annoying sidechain compression :idea:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thx! Can't ditch the sidechain because I love it haha. But will try make it more subtle :D

My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9
Mix - 7.5

Overall - 8.5

Comments: If you think the sidechain compression is annoying, don't listen with headphones. Almost had to turn this thing off. Musically it's quite interesting. Enjoyed the sounds as well. Mix just needs to be modified slightly.

Kelvin92 wrote:Thx! Can't ditch the sidechain because I love it haha. But will try make it more subtle :D
ah, ok... so you love someone fking with the volume while you are
trying to listen to the song. reminds me of the effect the sun had on
cassettes back in the day. volume fading in and out....ruined.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
Kelvin92 wrote:Thx! Can't ditch the sidechain because I love it haha. But will try make it more subtle :D
ah, ok... so you love someone fking with the volume while you are
trying to listen to the song. reminds me of the effect the sun had on
cassettes back in the day. volume fading in and out....ruined.
Hahaha no that's not my intention. Plus I need to practice a lot on mixing also. But will check the sidechain when I'm home, think it's too much.

wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9
Mix - 7.5

Overall - 8.5

Comments: If you think the sidechain compression is annoying, don't listen with headphones. Almost had to turn this thing off. Musically it's quite interesting. Enjoyed the sounds as well. Mix just needs to be modified slightly.
Thx for your feedback!

The lead sound after the drop is way too loud to me. Can't hear much else. Agreed on need of hats but if you add them you are going to have a frequency nightmare given the lead is so top spectrum consuming. There just isn't any space to work with.
Even I was offended by what I was going to put here.
Newest Release, retro EBM, Brute Opposition - Unity of Command, released Sept '22 bandcamp link

I don't know what tool you use for side chaining, or perhaps you use the old fashion way with a compressor. In any case the side chain feels out of sync and that's why it becomes a bit annoying. If you use a compressor you should pay attention to the release and sustain values. If you use LFO tool you could just drag the curve until side chaining fits the tempo better.

Besides that I think the gain staging and over all mixing of the track is good.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Chemik » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:59 am

The lead sound after the drop is way too loud to me. Can't hear much else. Agreed on need of hats but if you add them you are going to have a frequency nightmare given the lead is so top spectrum consuming. There just isn't any space to work with
Yes you are very right. I am changing the levels because it is very loud indeed.
Maybe it will bring room for the hats and/or percussion.
by Zexila » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:35 am

Maybe sidechain white noise in the drop?
I try that a lot, but I personally thought it did not fit the song.
Post by ATN69 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:45 am

I don't know what tool you use for side chaining, or perhaps you use the old fashion way with a compressor. In any case the side chain feels out of sync and that's why it becomes a bit annoying. If you use a compressor you should pay attention to the release and sustain values. If you use LFO tool you could just drag the curve until side chaining fits the tempo better.

Besides that I think the gain staging and over all mixing of the track is good.
Yes the sidechain was too much. I tweaked it already because most of you guys noticed it.
y Vortifex » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:29 am

In addition to other comments, the lead sound has got a very pronounced click at certain points, eg. between 1:24-1:25, that I personally found a little distracting and unpleasant.

Overall though, quite a catchy melody and a good effort
I checked this after you said it and indeed it is. Changed it. Thank you for the help and feedback. Counts for the rest of you guys who commented :)

Return to “Music Cafe”