What's the point of hardware synths?(Drunken rant,ha)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The caveat to using hardware is to be totally hardware. No computer - no internet - least distractions.

I even found, back in the day, that going from a Workstation synth to an Atari running Cubase was a distraction.

Keep it simple - get work done.

OOOPS. Have I started another Hardware vs software thread!?! :dog:

I never really spend much time on forums, I just spend hours in my small studio noodling like a chimp with synths etc never getting anything done! It's fun though. :hihi:

It seems like a good discussion though, there's a lot of info here thats really helpful to me (and hopefully others).

I think I went a little overboard with the title, real analog is still exciting to me, it's just that it amazes me how vsts that were released over the past few years sound so good. It's just a shame that it feels like a bit of a chore when programing vsts compared to hardware. Well to me anyway. :tu:

The point is to pretend you are something special/unique/interesting/out there/crazy/cool/more advanced. Everyone knows that the convoluted and complex your methodology is definitely makes your music "better".

Seriously though, really it is just about gigging I think. No one cares what your music was made with. They either like it or they don't.

Hardware and software relative to result is completely meaningless, you like it ? Do it.

Real synth-whores, such as myself, use both software synths and hardware synths! :tu:

quantum7 wrote:Real synth-whores, such as myself, use both software synths and hardware synths! :tu:
synth -> :hug: <- quantum7

dellboy wrote:The caveat to using hardware is to be totally hardware.
Or possibly totally drunk.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yup. To hold on to the beautiful woman metaphor: There is no such thing as an ugly woman, only too few bottles of vodka.

IncarnateX wrote:Yup. To hold on to the beautiful woman metaphor: There is no such thing as an ugly woman, only too few bottles of vodka.
But if you have to drink that much to make someone look attractive, you'll prob be too drunk to do anthing about it :hihi:

Yup. But it wouldn’t matter because you’d be too drunk to remember it even if you could.

dellboy wrote:The caveat to using hardware is to be totally hardware. No computer - no internet - least distractions.

I even found, back in the day, that going from a Workstation synth to an Atari running Cubase was a distraction.

Keep it simple - get work done.
You never touched the real hardware it seems. That means no electric power no batteries. Even a violin is not hard enough, a Bösendorfer might fit evetually...

You can’t beat a friend of mine who is carrying a real pipe orgen just to give correct pitches to the choir he is conducting...

whyterabbyt wrote:
dellboy wrote:The caveat to using hardware is to be totally hardware.
Or possibly totally drunk.
or both!

The main point of hardware synths is to have a few more knobs to play with :wink:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote:The main point of hardware synths is to have a few more knobs to play with :wink:
...and a superior sound :wink:

digitalboytn wrote:The main point of hardware synths is to have a few more knobs to play with :wink:
ah, an orgy! now we're cookin'!

vurt wrote:
ah, an orgy! now we're cookin'!
please note : cooking while naked and drunk may be hazardous.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Instruments”