Filters of Mass Destruction - audio demos

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Edit: Windows Only for now: Download Flower Child Filter v1.1.1 alpha here WARNING: This plugin will not be forward compatible. That means you won't be able to update the plugin with the next version. You must save this version for projects you use it in.

- *NEW* Filter Mode: Sawtooth Resonator featuring grindy, crunchy, circuit-bent growls, responds well to saw and square waves.
- *NEW* FilterMode: Hard Highpass filter featuring a bias control that tends to create pulse width modulation in the resonance characteristic.
- *NEW* ADSR Mode: ADSR with curve options, retrigger options 'always' or 'legato'
- *NEW* Modulation Sources: Midi velocity, Amplitude ADSR, Frequency ADSR

Filters of Mass Destruction (FMD)

FMD is going to be a filterbank containing filters inspired by synths from around the world, and beyond! There will be a focus on the destructive nature of turning up the resonance too high or driving the input too loud leading to the screams of bloody murder, the growls of demons, and the strangeness of hell-bent circuits. Don't worry! There will also be some clean filters as well. The goal for FMD is to be the one-stop-shop for every style of "analog" filter.

FMDs soon to be launched. Lives will be... changed.

Japan - オニ (Oni) Lowpass
- Inspired by the softer tones of Ian Fritz Threeler which is inspired by MS-20 from Japan. This filter exhibits light harmonic locking.
"Great progress has been made on creating a new form of energy. It must not get into the wrong hands as it could be used for evil, for filters of mass destruction." —nameless Japanese scientist

Japan - 信長 (Nobunaga) Lowpass
- This filter gives the maximum scream, which is inspired by the sound you get out of the MS-20 when you feed the filter's output back into itself.
"It is of great importance that we lead the world in advanced filter technology. Russia must not be allowed continue their filter expierments." —speech given by a Japanese cabinet member

Germany - Feuerlilie (Fire Lily) Lowpass
- German filters will be inspired by German maker Doepfer and their A-106-1 Xtreme Filter module.
"Our early filter reactor experiments have lead to this strange prototype filter." —unknown German physicist early Filter War

Germany - Nachzerher Lowpass
- Based on A-106-1 Xtreme filter, exhibits light harmonic locking, an addictive bubbly sound with rectified-sine-like resonance.
"The new filter core is ready. Prepare for the next phase." —unscrambled radio signal, Germany, origin unkown

Germany - Nosferatu Bandpass
A bandpass bretheren of Nachzerher filter, agressive, sharp, and biting like its name implies.
"Warning, radioactive leak in sector 4B, all non-essential personelle must evacuate facility until further notice." —Warning system, weapons manufacturing facility

Russia - РДС-1 (RDS-1) Lowpass
- Russian filters will be inspired by the Polivoks, a Soviet-era synthesizer with a filter that is warbly, unpredictable, chaotic.
"Our spies in Japan have uncovered highly secret plans for a power source. We could use this to build a filter of mass destruction and conquer all of Europe." —anonymous high ranking officer

Russia - Полевик-1 (Polevik-1) Lowpass
- Highly bubbly and chaotic triangular resonance.
"Our first filter core is highly unstable, but very promising." —name classified, lead of weapons research

Russia - Полевик-2 (Polevik-2) Lowpass
- Like Polevik 1, highly chaotic, but with more aggressive square resonance.
"This will be the end of Europe as we know it." —transcript of secret meeting, undisclosed location

Russia - Полевик-0 (Polevik-0) Bandpass
A cleaner polivoks-inspired sound but in bandpass form.
"Our engineers have stabilized the filter core and created a small but useful counterpart to the Polevik series." —<name removed>, head engineer of weapons researc=

Unknown Origin - %@^!:":%3 (Xenomorph) Lowpass
- This weird filter seems to have resonance leading up to the next oscillation. It has a gurgly sound.
"Strange sounds have beem eminating from the object I extracted from the craft. My mind is being affected. It must be destroyed." —anonymous civilian

Unkown Planet - ==+=/** (Human) Lowpass
- Another alien filter with strange resonance.
"We believe it reads 'Human'" —<missing info> area51 scientist

USA - Flower Child Lowpass
- All purpose super clean filter with searing hot resonance that can be overdriven.
"We want peace! No more war!" —chanting heard from the streets

Britian - Yellowjacket Bandpass
Aggressive resonant bandpass filter inspired by the EDP Wasp filter.
"We can stop the Russia-Germany alliance. This new weapon will send chills." —Commander <confidential, name removed>

Marauders - Junk Tube Bandpass
Tube-inspired bandpass filter, highly quirky and unpredictable with medium harmonic locking.
"We have enough stolen parts to make our own control rods." —Radio commnication, 5:30am, Kaibab National Forest.

Marauders - Junk Tube Lowpass
Tube-inspired lowpass filter with a strange resonance waveshape and strong harmonic locking.
"Our raid proved to be highly successful. We have plans for a prototype filter core." —Radio communication, unkown origin near Rocky Mountain, Colorado.

If there is a style of filter that FMD doesn't cover, then I will try to remedy that as more filters are added to FMD after release. More German, American, and Russian-style FMDs are coming, as well as the strange, the mad, and the inspired. Names, descriptions, images, and sound of filters is subject to change. Ok, everything is subject to change. Still working on the whole theme of this project.

Join the e-mail list to be notified of updates: https://www.soundemote.com/fmd
Last edited by Architeuthis on Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:03 am, edited 38 times in total.

tasteless marketing.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:tasteless marketing.
What is tasteless about it?

Architeuthis wrote:
It doesnt bother me but your copy would be deemed un-politically correct by current standards.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Architeuthis wrote:
:o
disturbingly naive question.
the overall conceptional package besides the dsp is a complete lack of mindfulness imo.
... of mass destruction. get yr history straight... and be careful. just an advice.

I can see why this could be seen as tasteless. But more than that I find it quite lame/try-hard/already done to death, and would be a definite turn-off to any purchase.

Also why are the audio demos all really extreme high resonance FM sweeps or something like that... how can one judge the usefulness of this?

I will improve on the "tasteless" bit. I will take out and refrain from any mentions of WWII (I will instead call it the Filter Wars) and I'll probably avoid years/dates as well. At the same time I believe in what I'm trying to create. Each filter will have a UI theme that respects the country it is representing. Japanese and Cyrillic/Russian characters will be used in the interface where possible, as well as German words for German filters.

Japan will have MS-20 inspired filters and clones.
Germany will have Doepfer A-106-1 Xtreme Filter clones and "inspired by's"
Russia will have Polivoks clone and "inspired by's".
America will have Moog clones and clean filters.
Alien filters will be strange, gurgly, formanty
British filters will be buzzy, chaotic, noisy inspired by the filter of the British synthesizer EDP Wasp
Last edited by Architeuthis on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Architeuthis wrote:I will improve on the "tasteless" bit. I will take out and refrain from any mentions of WWII (I will instead call it the Filter Wars) and I'll probably avoid years/dates as well. At the same time I believe in what I'm trying to create. Each filter will have a UI theme that respects the country it is representing. Japanese and Cyrillic/Russian characters will be used in the interface where possible, as well as German words for German filers.

Japan will have MS-20 inspired filters and clones.
Germany will have Doepfer A-106-1 Xtreme Filter clones and "inspired by's"
Russia will have Polivoks clone and "inspired by's".
America will have Moog clones and clean filters.
I get why others take issue with the name/aesthetic of this but I personally don't. Maybe it is in somewhat poor taste, but I don't get the sense that their is any malicious intent whatsoever so big deal.

As for the sound and concept, I think it is very cool. I'm all for unique sound mangling tools, and this one looks well executed so far. I would love to try it out once it's ready.
Good luck with the project!

I really love the Soundemote synths which have some really awesome Oscillators so hope this will be combined one day.

Definitely getting this when its released
Amazon: why not use an alternative

i like this concept too,and will buy if price is correct.

Give the guys a break - the Cold War, WWII and alien-y stuff is just harmless banter. I like it.

Besides, nothing is politically correct these days - even Apu in The Simpsons or Friends or Seinfeld episodes are "problematic". People are just obsessed with being offended these days. Ironically it would probably be another world war that might learn these people some life priorities. Talk about priviledge.

Yeah I think the name is definitely more cheeky/tongue-in-cheek that in any way offensive. Love when effects go full FSU so will be interesting to see how this compares to something like Cytomic's The Drop (both price wise and sound wise)

I thought the marketing was clever. As Seinfeld said recently, jokes are not real life.

Top trending hashtag of the month : scandalous VST plugins released. :D

I can't wait to try those plugins, seem awesome !
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Honestly I liked the marketing and most of all the sound examples!
Checkout our VST3/VST2/AU/AAX/LV2:
Inner Pitch | Lens | Couture | Panagement | Graillon

Return to “Effects”