What's the point of hardware synths?(Drunken rant,ha)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

there's no "may be" about it :lol:

Synthman2000 wrote:No one cares what your music was made with. They either like it or they don't.
I care what my music was made with. I'm also the only one that really has to like my music -- if anybody else does that's a nice bonus.

Hardware brings me results software doesn't. Software brings me results hardware doesn't. (Note "doesn't", not "can't." If you waste enough time you can eventually emulate hardware in software. If you waste enough money, you can buy hardware that does what VST plugins do. At least in theory.) All the stuff that doesn't overlap is where the fun is.

The point of hardware synths is the same as the point of software synths:

It's f**king awesome to sit down in front of a rack of modular synths and a pedalboard and a Microbrute and a Maschine controller and a bunch of plugins and make music.

So aren't there a bunch of vids online showing dudes with money to spend making blips and bleeps and farts with their expensive EuroRack systems?

Sounds quite frankly, that only a few people really wanna hear? :hihi: :P Well, except other EuroRack freaks with money to spend...but what will they buy?

Well, more EuroRack modules, of course! This will enable them to continue making blips and bleeps and farts that even fewer people really wanna hear. :hihi: :lol: :hihi: :lol:

bloody peasants with their jealousy :P

Hardware is just a bunch of metal, wires and toxic components we don't need. Use a computer and minimize your impact. Junkie XL's studio is a toxic waste dump.
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

InLight-Tone wrote:Hardware is just a bunch of metal, wires and toxic components we don't need. Use a computer and minimize your impact..
You're using one of those computers made from grasscuttings and recycled cardboard, then, I presume.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

vurt wrote:bloody peasants with their jealousy :P
Uncool post... :dog: Attempt at snarky humour has failed... :hihi: :lol:

:hihi:

whyterabbyt wrote:
InLight-Tone wrote:Hardware is just a bunch of metal, wires and toxic components we don't need. Use a computer and minimize your impact..
You're using one of those computers made from grasscuttings and recycled cardboard, then, I presume.
:hihi: Too right. Computers are pretty much disposable ... hardware synths last waaaay longer. My oldest synth was built in 1980 and is still in daily use. My oldest computer was made in 1990 and has been sitting in a cupboard for 20 years.

IncarnateX wrote:besides the deeply inauthentic experience of using software?
"Put knobs and sliders at something"
->[x] Authentic.
Let's please not forget wood. Which makes soft synths and hardware (i.e. software with knobs attached) sound warmer and lusher. And punchier. And analog.

It's all about marketing. I honestly do not want to know if there may be open source algotrithms working behind price creating mechanisms (attaching knobs, 3d vintage UI, wood, a company name which can afford taking money, like apple...). Because: Marketing works. UI is important. Also: target audiences money and their hearing abilities are oppossite proportional. Good for money making.

beater wrote:I have always used and wanted to use hardware synths(20 years) and thought softsynths are a sort of mediocre means to an end. But I'm finding some softsynths have a sound that is truly amazing. I used zebra today after years of ignoring it and thought why the hell don't I use this anymore, it sounds stunning, almost perfect, infact I can't imagine how sound could get better! Are there any softsynths that give you that feeling of pure sonic bliss like analogue synths provide?
There was a time when vintage analog synthesizers were highly sought after. Now a days there are plenty of inexpensive products and almost indistinguishable clones.

There are also a large variety of modern digital emulations and original products. Throw in VSTi plugins and standalone digital instruments and now the playing field widens.

Most of these synthesizers are now unidentifiable within a mix, unless of course a well known preset is used. With a little bit of synthesis knowledge and a sound designing approach, practically any sound can be replicated.

You can use the most basic of synthesizers and with a little creativity, layering and added effects, it can be transformed into a chart topping sound. The only limit now is ones musical ability and song creating skills.

Outdated computers and electronic stuff in general can be recycled. :hihi: :) This helps stimulate the economy and is simply the best for the environment.

1, It feels more real to work with real controllers and keys
2, You can sell your gear on later if you want to and in some cases you don't loose money on it. Much software can't be resold.
3, The hardware was made for playing its sounds so it seldom locks up or get weird.

GearNostalgia wrote:1, It feels more real to work with real controllers and keys
2, You can sell your gear on later if you want to and in some cases you don't loose money on it. Much software can't be resold.
3, The hardware was made for playing its sounds so it seldom locks up or get weird.
1. A midi controller does exactly the same thing.

1a. Roughly 90% are bedroom producers that point and click with the mouse and midi editor anyway.

2. You can resell your plugins too, but why buy something you don't plan to keep in the first place? Now a days the value of analog gear is going down with the advent of modern emulations and clones.

3. Hardware has tons of issues, missing keys, broken knobs, going out of tune, burnt out circuit boards, power issues, degradation over time, components have a lifespan and cleaning and maintenance. All of which can be very expensive, the more vintage it is, the higher the price goes up for parts and service.

3a. Takes up a lot of space, electricity bill and where you keep it needs to be safe and secure from theft.

marooned ufo wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:1, It feels more real to work with real controllers and keys
1. A midi controller does exactly the same thing.

1a. Roughly 90% are bedroom producers that point and click with the mouse and midi editor anyway.

2. You can resell your plugins too, but why buy something you don't plan to keep in the first place? Now a days the value of analog gear is going down with the advent of modern emulations and clones.

3. Hardware has tons of issues, missing keys, broken knobs, going out of tune, burnt out circuit boards, power issues, degradation over time, components have a lifespan and cleaning and maintenance. All of which can be very expensive, the more vintage it is, the higher the price goes up for parts and service.

3a. Takes up a lot of space, electricity bill and where you keep it needs to be safe and secure from theft.
None of these points (made by marooned ufo or Gear Nostalgia) are going to convince anyone who has already made up their mind about what they want to use. What is the point of continuously making these arguments? To persuade n00bs that one way is better (or worse) than another? Seems silly to me. Every approach has it's pros and cons.

Just let people decide on their own, what they want to use.

Return to “Instruments”