Does anyone know a VST that sounds like this

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Danyy wrote: in 1:46 there's a solo
I don't think it's not a synth because there's something artificial sounding about it.
I tried Kontakt Wind Ensemble and Brass Ensemble but it just doesn't sound like it.
and there's also another one 3:10.
Thank you.
That first solo sounds like a sampled woodwind, maybe a sax or oboe. You can hear the reedy waveform, but it has been processed.

You wouldn't need a Fairlight emulation to recreate a sound like that, since it was a leading sampler from that era. You already have an industry standard sampler in Kontakt, so I would just focus on creating an FX chain to process the samples you have. I would experiment with reverbs, delays, guitar amp sims, anything to get that 'amplified' acoustic sound.

If that was actually a live woodwind player recorded in the studio, try to imagine the signal chain that the recording engineer ran that live signal through to get the sound on the console, so that it would blend with the mix.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Gamma-UT wrote:It might be a cor anglais as the sound reminds me of St John's playing on Julian Cope's Saint Julian.
My guess also:

1st instrument 1:46 = Cor Anglais (English Horn)

2nd instrument 3:10 = Trumpet played by Jon Hassell

Etienne1973 wrote: 2nd instrument 3:10 = Trumpet played by Jon Hassell
A-ha instrument @ 3:10 is an oboe, or a sim of same.

SciFiArtMan wrote:
Etienne1973 wrote: 2nd instrument 3:10 = Trumpet played by Jon Hassell
A-ha instrument @ 3:10 is an oboe, or a sim of same.
I meant the 2nd instrument @ 3:10 of Tears For Fears 'Seeds of Love'.

Oh, of course. How odd they both have a solo starting at 3:10!? Surely the Illuminati at work!

guys, I have to say the truth, I feel like it's too obvious at this point...
I'm actually working for the Illuminati...
I wanted to recreate this sound specifically to brainwash people...
Thank you for the help!

And yeah, I managed to reach something like that with Kontakt Oboe, some sweet delay, reverb, no amp sim (tried it and it sounded horrible). sadly it's too realistic/cinematic sounding, but I guess it's 2018, whats the point in trying to replicate old sounds, get with the times! hah

If the sound you found though close, sounded horrible, you most likely forgot to send it through an 80s cassette recorder, no, a digital emulation of a cassette recorder won’t cut it...
But actually any sound you treat like that will trigger the time machine...

Try a tape sim or a bit crusher, to get that low-fi 8-bit sound.

Also don't forget to run through an EQ to shape frequency bands, and maybe a filter to control sound?
Last edited by zzz00m on Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danyy wrote:guys, I have to say the truth, I feel like it's too obvious at this point...
I'm actually working for the Illuminati...
I wanted to recreate this sound specifically to brainwash people...
Thank you for the help!

And yeah, I managed to reach something like that with Kontakt Oboe, some sweet delay, reverb, no amp sim (tried it and it sounded horrible). sadly it's too realistic/cinematic sounding, but I guess it's 2018, whats the point in trying to replicate old sounds, get with the times! hah
Replicating old sounds is so 2018 :D just look at u-he’s latest soundware for Zebra 2

zzz00m wrote:Try a tape sim or a bit crusher, to get that low-fi 8-bit sound.

Also don't forget to run through an EQ to shape frequency bands, and maybe a filter to control sound?
Too much hassle to be true...
Obviously, the low-fi of a cassette tape has nothing to do with bits and crushers, they simulate old digital gear.
But you might be too young to know that there had been a pre digital aera.
You simply can’t trigger those memories with software, even if it sounds exactly the same... Its beyond physics, it psychology...; - )

Tj Shredder wrote:
zzz00m wrote:Try a tape sim or a bit crusher, to get that low-fi 8-bit sound.

Too much hassle to be true...
Obviously, the low-fi of a cassette tape has nothing to do with bits and crushers, they simulate old digital gear.
But you might be too young to know that there had been a pre digital aera.
You simply can’t trigger those memories with software, even if it sounds exactly the same... Its beyond physics, it psychology...; - )
He said his wind instrument samples sounded too good. Wasn't trying to provide an exact recipe, just encourage experimentation, to shape the sound a bit more. If the samples sound too clean, ya know, lower the fidelity some, right? Like when you program a synth from scratch, the init oscillator can sound a bit too clean and dry until you apply some filtering, noise, effects, etc., so the same goes with a pristine acoustic recording. Sound design takes many forms.

In the pre-digital era, studio recording engineers ran recording console channels through thousands of dollars of outboard analog signal processors before it hit the tape. Sometimes that was done to make it sound as good as possible, and sometimes it was done for creative effect. Much of that FX processing has been arguably emulated with modern plugins.

And if the samples in the recording in question earlier were from a Fairlight CMI from the 80's, that WAS a digital sampler, 8-bit and all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlight_CMI

And yep, I guess I am still young, I didn't get my first synth until the mid 80's... :D

Return to “Instruments”