HG-2 My Opinion...Any Thoughts?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Liero
KVRian
965 posts since 6 Mar, 2004

Post Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:32 am

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote:I bought it just to find out it crashes Reaper (5.x) projects on load regularly.
Has worked very reliably here (on windows 10 64-bit).

sqigls
KVRAF
3197 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: HG-2 My Opinion...Any Thoughts?

Post Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:07 am

$106 with VAT is a bit rich, bought mine from the KVR marketplace.
Not saying it isn't worth it, but I make a total of $0 from music, so I'm not in the Elton camp.

Elton isn't actually that camp, but I'm referring to the other camp.
Not the one with scout uniforms and toasted marshmallows.
Maybe the one with skate ramps and punk music?
or trout fishing and tequila?

techno and a bonfire would you believe?

pixel85
KVRist
328 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:29 am

Another 'master buss resident' here :)
Although in some cases I'm turning HG-2 off (depends on genre), in most cases it's applied to master chain.
For me it's a plugin that add this 'magic 5%' which is frequently missing in digital mixes. HG-2 replaces compressor for me. When I'm using compressor with HG-2 it's only for character because HG-2 takes care of peaks without artifacts like compressors do. Top notch 'secret sauce' type of plugin.
Of course some experience and moderation are necessary to fully use this plugin

Vortifex
KVRian
926 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:58 am

I shouldn't have demoed this :(

sl1200mk2
KVRist
98 posts since 6 Jun, 2003

Post Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:47 pm

Vortifex wrote:I shouldn't have demoed this :(
You'll find it all the time in the Buy/Sell forum here if you want it. If you don't see it, place a "WTB" post. I got my copy here for $69 or less IIRC, then used my $25 monthly voucher for the transfer fee. I understand people stop using things and want to offload them, but this is one I'm hanging on to.

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8506 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:52 pm

If youre after subtle saturation mojo also check out Kazrog True Iron.
The girls over at Gearslutz are loving this.

Sadly I have wooden ears with an extremely limited frequency range and can only hear its effects when turning it up to max :hihi:

Mathematics
KVRist
275 posts since 10 Sep, 2015 from You haven't unlocked this character yet

Post Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:54 pm

VariKusBrainZ wrote:The girls over at Gearslutz are loving this.
LOL. That made my day. :clap:
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

legendCNCD
KVRian
732 posts since 23 Sep, 2004 from there

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:31 am

Got HG-2 for mere few buqazoids.

After testing it for what, 15 minutes, I decided its freakishly good in parallel.

macmuse
KVRist
370 posts since 23 Jun, 2004

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:12 am

pixel85 wrote:Another 'master buss resident' here :)
Although in some cases I'm turning HG-2 off (depends on genre), in most cases it's applied to master chain.
For me it's a plugin that add this 'magic 5%' which is frequently missing in digital mixes. HG-2 replaces compressor for me. When I'm using compressor with HG-2 it's only for character because HG-2 takes care of peaks without artifacts like compressors do. Top notch 'secret sauce' type of plugin.
Of course some experience and moderation are necessary to fully use this plugin
I had bought this plugin when it first came out, but hadn't put it on the master, so I took interest in your post about replacing a compressor there.

Generally in what ballpark do you have your settings, if I may ask?

I've only recently started putting stuff on my master buss mainly because in the past, when I wasn't well-versed in setting them properly, I would end up taking them off because of slight sound degradation (could have been my fault in not setting them properly), particularly because I later pseudo-master the track (Ozone, Elevate or whatever) so I didn't want to be overkill. But lately I had been using things like The Glue, or CLA MixDown on default (which so far has been fool-proof), and/or Slate VTM.

What were the typical plugins on your master that you have since replaced with the HG-2? Thanks.

Unaspected
KVRist
446 posts since 4 May, 2012

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:43 am

HG-2 sounds quite wonderful. It's amazing to finally get tube sound in a plugin and at such little cost to CPU.

I also mostly use it in parallel - as a sub-mix. Though I recently tried it in a bass guitar chain and it works wonders on DI bass.

martinjuenke
KVRAF
2361 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:29 am

Unaspected wrote:HG-2 sounds quite wonderful. It's amazing to finally get tube sound in a plugin and at such little cost to CPU.

I also mostly use it in parallel - as a sub-mix. Though I recently tried it in a bass guitar chain and it works wonders on DI bass.
HG-2 and Subsynth are the both plugins fro Plugin Alliance I would not like to miss...

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

dangayle
KVRian
789 posts since 30 Mar, 2014

Post Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:52 pm

martinjuenke wrote:
Unaspected wrote:HG-2 sounds quite wonderful. It's amazing to finally get tube sound in a plugin and at such little cost to CPU.

HG-2 and Subsynth are the both plugins fro Plugin Alliance I would not like to miss...
Those are the only two non-Unfiltered Audio effects I’m interested in. Couldn’t care less about SSL or most of that other stuff.

sqigls
KVRAF
3197 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:30 pm

quick dodgey job, removed the inappropriate Brainworx logo... i mean, really!?
Background.png
...can add to the "Black Box Analog Design HG-2.vst/Contents/Resources" folder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Effects”