HG-2 My Opinion...Any Thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote:I bought it just to find out it crashes Reaper (5.x) projects on load regularly.
Has worked very reliably here (on windows 10 64-bit).

$106 with VAT is a bit rich, bought mine from the KVR marketplace.
Not saying it isn't worth it, but I make a total of $0 from music, so I'm not in the Elton camp.

Elton isn't actually that camp, but I'm referring to the other camp.
Not the one with scout uniforms and toasted marshmallows.
Maybe the one with skate ramps and punk music?
or trout fishing and tequila?

techno and a bonfire would you believe?

Another 'master buss resident' here :)
Although in some cases I'm turning HG-2 off (depends on genre), in most cases it's applied to master chain.
For me it's a plugin that add this 'magic 5%' which is frequently missing in digital mixes. HG-2 replaces compressor for me. When I'm using compressor with HG-2 it's only for character because HG-2 takes care of peaks without artifacts like compressors do. Top notch 'secret sauce' type of plugin.
Of course some experience and moderation are necessary to fully use this plugin

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote:I shouldn't have demoed this :(
You'll find it all the time in the Buy/Sell forum here if you want it. If you don't see it, place a "WTB" post. I got my copy here for $69 or less IIRC, then used my $25 monthly voucher for the transfer fee. I understand people stop using things and want to offload them, but this is one I'm hanging on to.

If youre after subtle saturation mojo also check out Kazrog True Iron.
The girls over at Gearslutz are loving this.

Sadly I have wooden ears with an extremely limited frequency range and can only hear its effects when turning it up to max :hihi:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:The girls over at Gearslutz are loving this.
LOL. That made my day. :clap:
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Got HG-2 for mere few buqazoids.

After testing it for what, 15 minutes, I decided its freakishly good in parallel.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

pixel85 wrote:Another 'master buss resident' here :)
Although in some cases I'm turning HG-2 off (depends on genre), in most cases it's applied to master chain.
For me it's a plugin that add this 'magic 5%' which is frequently missing in digital mixes. HG-2 replaces compressor for me. When I'm using compressor with HG-2 it's only for character because HG-2 takes care of peaks without artifacts like compressors do. Top notch 'secret sauce' type of plugin.
Of course some experience and moderation are necessary to fully use this plugin
I had bought this plugin when it first came out, but hadn't put it on the master, so I took interest in your post about replacing a compressor there.

Generally in what ballpark do you have your settings, if I may ask?

I've only recently started putting stuff on my master buss mainly because in the past, when I wasn't well-versed in setting them properly, I would end up taking them off because of slight sound degradation (could have been my fault in not setting them properly), particularly because I later pseudo-master the track (Ozone, Elevate or whatever) so I didn't want to be overkill. But lately I had been using things like The Glue, or CLA MixDown on default (which so far has been fool-proof), and/or Slate VTM.

What were the typical plugins on your master that you have since replaced with the HG-2? Thanks.

HG-2 sounds quite wonderful. It's amazing to finally get tube sound in a plugin and at such little cost to CPU.

I also mostly use it in parallel - as a sub-mix. Though I recently tried it in a bass guitar chain and it works wonders on DI bass.

Unaspected wrote:HG-2 sounds quite wonderful. It's amazing to finally get tube sound in a plugin and at such little cost to CPU.

I also mostly use it in parallel - as a sub-mix. Though I recently tried it in a bass guitar chain and it works wonders on DI bass.
HG-2 and Subsynth are the both plugins fro Plugin Alliance I would not like to miss...

martinjuenke wrote:
Unaspected wrote:HG-2 sounds quite wonderful. It's amazing to finally get tube sound in a plugin and at such little cost to CPU.

HG-2 and Subsynth are the both plugins fro Plugin Alliance I would not like to miss...
Those are the only two non-Unfiltered Audio effects I’m interested in. Couldn’t care less about SSL or most of that other stuff.

quick dodgey job, removed the inappropriate Brainworx logo... i mean, really!?
Background.png
...can add to the "Black Box Analog Design HG-2.vst/Contents/Resources" folder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I remember when it first came out a year or two back it was widely loved and heavily desired. It can do good work.

But anything like this is all about context. If you already have introduced enough saturation into your mix by other processes, you may not find a need for it as it may just end up contributing to an over cooked mix. You can, though, revise some of your processes, use less saturation, leaving more room to introduce the HG-2.

Choice is a powerful thing.

I've posted this already, but I've found running HG-2 into Contemporary Color gets me some SMASHING results. It seems to cover all harmonic bases or something... I have no idea of the technicalities involved, but my ears likey. Softube saturator sounds great, but this combo of HG-2 into CC, there's no tone unturned really. I dare not demo this Phil's thingamyjigamy, in case i love it. Think I'll be waiting for the next $49 sale :P

Return to “Effects”