Synths with lots of tweaking / tuning on OSC before going into Filter section?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To add... Thorn
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

himalaya wrote:also with analogue modeled oscillators, with waveform morphing, and real time, "dynamic" modulation by a long list of mod sources....
What do you mean by analog modelled oscillator? I'm currently looking into physical modelling for oscillators; physical can be the same as analog: take an oscillating medium like pendulum or spring/weight or a sinusoid generator circuit which tries to recreate that, it's all the same. Is that what you mean by analog modelling? I'm currently looking into this idea to create an analog/physically modelled synth where physical limitations can be applied so that it's easier to deal with problems of digital synths such as over-modulation and aliasing.

Seriously. A sinusoid generator can be used for oscillators, filters, envelope generators, waveshapers MAYBE, still need to figure that one out. Imagine a synth where the core of every element is a simple sinusoid generator that, by the way, cannot reliably be tuned (due to sampling rate / digital inaccuracy), so it'd have to self-tune (with a DSP process) like an analog synth not like an analog synth actually.

Back to the topic:

You also may consider:

THORN
PREDATOR 2
WAVERAZOR

A joyful modulation for you all.

I've never seen a synth that matched MPowersynth in terms of customising and modulating the OSC, though I could rarely get a sound of it that I liked either.

andymcbain wrote:I've never seen a synth that matched MPowersynth in terms of customising and modulating the OSC, though I could rarely get a sound of it that I liked either.
Maybe that's my problem. I like more the sounds that are not so likable.

MPowersynth is a very good and clean crowd pleaser but doesn't take the concept onto the next level (without the modular efx section...There is nothing new on the market).

Yes the options are huge but some kind of standard for modern synth. I seem to do something wrong cause whatever OSC and modulator modulations I do, I always come up with pretty "standard" and tame sounds, nothing unheard really interesting or weird and crazy stuff. I always program without effects of course. Even FM is somehow tamed down. :(

Of course with MXXX active MPowesynth is one of the best organ designers out there :hihi: ...
Last edited by nichttuntun on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

... and capable of endless interesting and wierd and artsy fartsy and crazy and inspiring sounding sound design. Because MXXX is = :love: :love: :love:

But you can take every synth even the free ones and enter new levels by crafting amazing sounds using MXXX :phones: :party:

nichttuntun wrote:
andymcbain wrote:I've never seen a synth that matched MPowersynth in terms of customising and modulating the OSC, though I could rarely get a sound of it that I liked either.

MPowersynth is a very good and clean crowd pleaser but doesn't take the concept onto the next level (without the modular efx section...There is nothing new on the market).

Yes the options are huge but some kind of standard for modern synth. I seem to do something wrong cause whatever OSC and modulator modulations I do, I always come up with pretty "standard" and tame sounds, nothing unheard really interesting or weird and crazy stuff. I always program without effects of course. Even FM is somehow tamed down. :(

Of course with MXXX active MPowesynth is one of the best organ designers out there :hihi: ...
Wierd, as soon as I started using it I was instantly getting awesome Buchla-esque timbres, amongst other lovely/nasty noises.

How you can only get tame sounds out of such a deep oscillator I dont understand. Then couple it with the modulation system and its bonkers time
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Architeuthis wrote:I'd like to create a synth where the oscillators have extensive tweakability. The filters have extensive tweakability. The LFOs have extensive tweakability. EVERYTHING HAS TWEAKABILITY. Want to use your envelope section as an oscillator? Sure. Use your oscillators as a pseudo-filter? Fine. Use your filter as an envelope generator? Why not. Leave nothing to assumptions! I already have tweakable filters, though I need to do a bit more work on making it user friendly.
Just to point out this guy has released several synths all with interesting oscillators, very much on the 'West Coast' side of synthesis.

Check his sig
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:

Wierd, as soon as I started using it I was instantly getting awesome Buchla-esque timbres, amongst other lovely/nasty noises.

How you can only get tame sounds out of such a deep oscillator I dont understand. Then couple it with the modulation system and its bonkers time
I want to clarify a bit more. Of course there are weird and nasty sounds and wild modulations. But I think even these sounds have a somewhat mild and clean character. Sorry, can't explain better.

Architeuthis wrote:I'd like to create a synth where the oscillators have extensive tweakability. The filters have extensive tweakability. The LFOs have extensive tweakability. EVERYTHING HAS TWEAKABILITY. Want to use your envelope section as an oscillator? Sure. Use your oscillators as a pseudo-filter? Fine. Use your filter as an envelope generator? Why not. Leave nothing to assumptions! I already have tweakable filters, though I need to do a bit more work on making it user friendly.
:tu:

Yeah man...don´t talk...just do it! :party:
And please keep us informed about the progression :hug:

nichttuntun wrote: I want to clarify a bit more. Of course there are weird and nasty sounds and wild modulations. But I think even these sounds have a somewhat mild and clean character. Sorry, can't explain better.
My thoughts exactly - there is something oddly clinical about that synth. It will probably appeal to some, but it wasn't my thing at all :)

nichttuntun wrote: I want to clarify a bit more. Of course there are weird and nasty sounds and wild modulations. But I think even these sounds have a somewhat mild and clean character. Sorry, can't explain better.
My thoughts exactly - there is something oddly clinical about that synth. It will probably appeal to some, but it wasn't my thing at all :)

nichttuntun wrote:
SMH wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:
SMH wrote:Image
:love:

Hi.
Wow, this ANA-SYNTH looks great. I couldn't find much sound samples on the net and unfortunately the "specs" page on the devs site doesn't work.

Can you tell if the synth can work in audio rate and how good the FM ist working/ sounding?

Are the wave- forms of the OSCs working seamless? Or can you just choose the fundamental wave-form in each OSC?

Are there sync and cross - modulations? How many modulation sources and destinations are there?

Thanks in advance.

PS
Charging from the typical architecture of the VA I doubt that ANA-SYNTH has so much OSC tweaking to offer like the before mentioned synth. If that would be so it would be simply the Ubersynth.
I sent Admiral an email about the broken page.

This is Polyana. ANA is another synth plug in from a different developer. Yes the audio rate modulation is amazing!! Yes sync and cross modulations and FM! The osc waves 'morph'- that's not a waveform switch its a continuous knob. (Well kinda both. You'll see!) Try it out! Audio demos are here http://www.admiralquality.com/poly-ana-demos/

Yes it's uber I lose myself in it! I've had it for a few months now and still learning new things it can do. Lately been getting seriously in to the FX version- polyphonic filtering! :love:
Hi,
I bought this full analog sounding sound-design monster and love the options it offers for sound-sculpting/ modulation. I wished a few days ago THE LEGEND could have that...now wish forfilled! Awesom. The FM sounds fantastic and I got cool and crazy sounding stuff out of it in no time. It is like an analog modular-system without cables. Great!

If you write the developers, could you please tell them the GUI is far too small for modern screens? Even with the alternative skins, the fonts are barely readable and that is a BIG letdown for me and totally outdated :(

I love the sound of this analog heaven sound-design monster but I don´t like to use it due to the small GUI. This Synth is out since 2007 and got constant updates...why didn´t they focus on that issue to?

Cheers and joyful modulating.
I suggest trying to find Ingonators skin. It’s much bigger and very clear.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:
SMH wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:
SMH wrote:Image
:love:

Hi.
Wow, this ANA-SYNTH looks great. I couldn't find much sound samples on the net and unfortunately the "specs" page on the devs site doesn't work.

Can you tell if the synth can work in audio rate and how good the FM ist working/ sounding?

Are the wave- forms of the OSCs working seamless? Or can you just choose the fundamental wave-form in each OSC?

Are there sync and cross - modulations? How many modulation sources and destinations are there?

Thanks in advance.

PS
Charging from the typical architecture of the VA I doubt that ANA-SYNTH has so much OSC tweaking to offer like the before mentioned synth. If that would be so it would be simply the Ubersynth.
I sent Admiral an email about the broken page.

This is Polyana. ANA is another synth plug in from a different developer. Yes the audio rate modulation is amazing!! Yes sync and cross modulations and FM! The osc waves 'morph'- that's not a waveform switch its a continuous knob. (Well kinda both. You'll see!) Try it out! Audio demos are here http://www.admiralquality.com/poly-ana-demos/

Yes it's uber I lose myself in it! I've had it for a few months now and still learning new things it can do. Lately been getting seriously in to the FX version- polyphonic filtering! :love:
Hi,
I bought this full analog sounding sound-design monster and love the options it offers for sound-sculpting/ modulation. I wished a few days ago THE LEGEND could have that...now wish forfilled! Awesom. The FM sounds fantastic and I got cool and crazy sounding stuff out of it in no time. It is like an analog modular-system without cables. Great!

If you write the developers, could you please tell them the GUI is far too small for modern screens? Even with the alternative skins, the fonts are barely readable and that is a BIG letdown for me and totally outdated :(

I love the sound of this analog heaven sound-design monster but I don´t like to use it due to the small GUI. This Synth is out since 2007 and got constant updates...why didn´t they focus on that issue to?

Cheers and joyful modulating.
I suggest trying to find Ingonators skin. It’s much bigger and very clear.
Does anyone have a link to it?

Return to “Instruments”