Drum Vsti for Hip-Hop

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys

Tris is the story: a friend of mine that works with Christian hip hop artist asked me to make a Hip-Hop- Jazz trace for his client.

The thing is i have little to no-knowledge of hip hop making tracks

I was wondering what would be a nice and cheap vsti for making the drums parts (o haave experiencie and vstis making the jazz parts not the hip hop ones haha)

As a side thing if you fellas Can give me some advice for making a good hip hop tracks its greatly appreciated

Blessings!

Try using these drums, load them in a sampler in your DAW, but you can use any drums you got really, especially some jazzy ones could work nicely in context.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip ... 472a94ed8b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlDFit-PRGs
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I would recommend using some sort of royalty free, pre-made loops for the drums. I'm usually opposed to that sort of thing myself, but since this isn't your forte, it's probably the best chance you have of adding some authenticity to your track. I don't know what DAW you use but Reason for example, comes with some really good stock loops.
As for advice on making a hip hop track in general, well, listen to some hip hop! There is a wide variety of styles within the genre, some of which bear little resemblance to one another so you'll have to narrow it down a little.
I used to make hip hop beats regularly and the thing that I love about it and that I don't think many people realize, is that with hip hop, you have a lot of freedom to do whatever you want. At least that's true of the more old school stuff I used to make.
The thing is that a lot of hip hop is/was based on sampling, and they would sample just about anything. Sure, it was mostly classic old soul, funk, jazz, and disco records, but some of the best producers were also sampling from stuff like hall and oates, and the turtles, and classical music, and just about anything that sounded interesting when looped (and getting sued into oblivion in the process sometimes). For me, I didn't really like the process of sampling other people's work, so I would sample my own. Or write music to intentionally sound like samples and be used as loops. And like I said, there was a lot of freedom. I could literally start with anything. Any instrument. Any style. As long as it sounded cool over a drum loop.
As for more modern stuff; the trap that's dominated the genre over the last several years. Not to be dismissive, but it's pretty formulaic, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn some of the little tricks and conventions that are used to get that sound. I'm not saying it doesn't take skill or talent to make a good trap beat but it's kind of like the blues in a way, where everything is based on some pretty familiar foundation and you build from there. Anyway, good luck!

Local Man wrote:I would recommend using some sort of royalty free, pre-made loops for the drums. I'm usually opposed to that sort of thing myself, but since this isn't your forte, it's probably the best chance you have of adding some authenticity to your track. I don't know what DAW you use but Reason for example, comes with some really good stock loops.
As for advice on making a hip hop track in general, well, listen to some hip hop! There is a wide variety of styles within the genre, some of which bear little resemblance to one another so you'll have to narrow it down a little.
I used to make hip hop beats regularly and the thing that I love about it and that I don't think many people realize, is that with hip hop, you have a lot of freedom to do whatever you want. At least that's true of the more old school stuff I used to make.
The thing is that a lot of hip hop is/was based on sampling, and they would sample just about anything. Sure, it was mostly classic old soul, funk, jazz, and disco records, but some of the best producers were also sampling from stuff like hall and oates, and the turtles, and classical music, and just about anything that sounded interesting when looped (and getting sued into oblivion in the process sometimes). For me, I didn't really like the process of sampling other people's work, so I would sample my own. Or write music to intentionally sound like samples and be used as loops. And like I said, there was a lot of freedom. I could literally start with anything. Any instrument. Any style. As long as it sounded cool over a drum loop.
Great post! :tu:
As for more modern stuff; the trap that's dominated the genre over the last several years. Not to be dismissive, but it's pretty formulaic, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn some of the little tricks and conventions that are used to get that sound. I'm not saying it doesn't take skill or talent to make a good trap beat but it's kind of like the blues in a way, where everything is based on some pretty familiar foundation and you build from there. Anyway, good luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TqefAORtok
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

If you want an inexpensive one then Transfuser.

Hiphop is all beat making and everyone uses Maschine and AKAI MPC for dat. If you're not goin' hardcore then I too would recommend royalty free samples from Producer Loops or someting. Hiphop is the most popular genre to buy samples for cause da people who use them tend not to be musically blessed, if you get my drift.

this is a nice vst for hip hop drums. It also has some really nice sounding 808 bass sounds too. https://www.bigfishaudio.com/Sequence-H ... =bfahmpgsm

latorrejc3, I sent you a pm.

Kinh wrote:If you want an inexpensive one then Transfuser.

Hiphop is all beat making and everyone uses Maschine and AKAI MPC for dat. If you're not goin' hardcore then I too would recommend royalty free samples from Producer Loops or someting. Hiphop is the most popular genre to buy samples for cause da people who use them tend not to be musically blessed, if you get my drift.
I watched a couple Transfuser videos, and hoovered some more,
had no idea what it was, when I got AIEP3, but it looks like
an excellent tool, should time allow.
Cheers

UJAM Phat is free for a limited period of time.
https://www.ujam.com/partner-checkout/? ... page=promo

This is a hip-hop drum sounds plugin. I don't own it myself but I do have a light-weight cut down version that came with CM magazine, which is not too bad.

https://dopevst.com/artist/beat-machine-vsti/

Motu BPM. I still have and use it on a regular basis. It is specifically for Hip Hop. Checkout the song demos.

onerob wrote:This is a hip-hop drum sounds plugin. I don't own it myself but I do have a light-weight cut down version that came with CM magazine, which is not too bad.

https://dopevst.com/artist/beat-machine-vsti/
I own it. Just used it on a track. It's cheap,simple to use and believable.

Plenty of drum shit out there....Ignore everything said here...do what YOU want!!

Karma_tba wrote:Plenty of drum shit out there....Ignore everything said here...do what YOU want!!
Why would you tell the op to ignore everyone who gives him some specific suggestions? That's exactly what he asked for. That's what he's getting. He didn't ask for your blessing to do whatever he wants. I think he wanted something a little more than just don't pay any attention to whoever tries to help you nonsense.

Return to “Instruments”