Moving clips using cursor keys....

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not sure if I have imagined this? Were you or still able to move clips in the Arranger Track using cursor keys? ie nudging them. If you can, can someone show me as of 2.3.4 I can't move clips unless using the mouse . Left and Right cursor keys seem to move the playhead to the next or previous clip.

Thanks

Good question !
If i open Keycommands and search for "nudge", i can see left arrow and right arrow assigned to nudge left and nudge right.
But these don't work, they indeed just move the Playhead to previous or next Clip, but no nudge.
Seems completely broken to me :dog:
Rob van Hees

It works in edit modes for midi and audio, but not in Arranger. How strange.

Maybe the fact that those nudge actions only work in Editors, is by design.
But then, in keycommands list, they shouldn't be catogorized under "General".
Cause 4 me, that implies that the nudge actions would also work in Arrange.
Rob van Hees

Well for me it is a big feature request.... I really miss this from my other DAW programs..

Is it possible for you to assign nudge to something like shift+L/R or Ctrl+L/R?

Not being able to nudge clips is driving me nuts. It would be such a great workflow improvement to add.

You can nudge samples inside of the multisample editor (inside of Bitwig's Sampler), but if you're looking to move clips or events around in a timeline grid, that's mouse-drag only. (with some other gestures to snap to grid or ignore the grid, etc.)

Yokai wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:32 pm You can nudge samples inside of the multisample editor (inside of Bitwig's Sampler), but if you're looking to move clips or events around in a timeline grid, that's mouse-drag only. (with some other gestures to snap to grid or ignore the grid, etc.)
I’m really hoping they fix this. Or enable user made keyboard shortcuts. Keyboard shortcuts are a faster smoother way to work for me and a nudge clips shortcut would be fantastic.

There is something with the keyboard philosophy of Bitwig. I miss moving clips with the cursor keys, adjusting values with the cursor keys and the ability to use key repeat on commands like duplicate (to create a bunch of notes for drums e.g.) or undo/redo.

Did this ever get addressed properly? I really need this 'nudge' for arranger. It's how I work.

Digital-Aura wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:47 pm Did this ever get addressed properly? I really need this 'nudge' for arranger. It's how I work.
Are you asking because you currently don't own Bitwig and therefore can't test it yourself?
No, it does not work. The cursor keys are selecting Clips, not nudging them. I'm actually used to this behavior, so if nudging gets implemented, i would expect them to introduce it via a modifier key + arrow key combination.
If you haven't yet, please ask them directly via Email to implement this, otherwise nothing will change.

I think almost every user has some Feature request for Bitwig, which hasn't been implemented yet.
Sometimes those Feature requests are just "nice to have", sometimes it's actually mind-bogglingy strange that they haven't been adressed. To name an example for the latter: You still can't export *mid Midi files which not only contain the notes, but also the midi cc automation. Imagine this: They built a whole new dawproject format, yet, when you want to export a simple piano recording out of Bitwig and import it into Cubase, you will lose the sustain pedal information! :phew:
Another thing which almost all DAWs have is (the option for) semi-transparent Clips, so you see Gridlines through Clips in the Arranger. And so on, and so on.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

thanks, I do have it. I just thought it was so crazy that I must be missing something. It's also strange that there's no specific Feature Request email address or suggestion box on their site. I feel kinda weird just sending an email to them.

It's worth sending them an email.

They have changed things in the past because people send them emails.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Return to “Bitwig”