Airwindows VariMu: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zADtrFgbc

TL;DW: A more organic variation on Pressure.

VariMu

Thank you for your patience! Usually I keep up a rapid pace of plugin releases. Due to some personal tragedy I've spoken of before, I had to take a little down time, but I feel prepared to carry on as I did before.

I've got something nice: everybody likes yet another compressor, right? I've got ButterComp, Swell, Logical4, the one in CStrip, Surge, SurgeTide, Pyewacket, Thunder, and of course Pressure4. All those are free (and I'm working on getting them open source as well, but first I want to get the actual plugins out).

So clearly what we need is YET ANOTHER free compressor as we plainly don't have nearly enough. We must run all the compressors, in a row, until everything is so compressed we can't even stand ourselves! :D

No… there's a non-joke reason. And that reason is, all those sound very different. They won't all work for everyone: for instance, Pyewacket is all about retaining the attack transients of things and just stepping on the tails of envelopes. Swell is about stomping out those very attack transients until they're all gone. Surge is about very smooth gain shifts that are totally transparent and more like an automatic gain control. SurgeTide is the same but more so, it's almost completely unmanageable. Logical4 is about acting like a hardware stereo 2-buss compressor, and so on.

VariMu comes from Pressure, originally. What it does differently is trigger using different math: it uses the square of the input signal, not just the signal alone, and it also handles brief transients differently. This makes it sound very different from Pressure, so if you like Pressure you should try it… and if you didn't like Pressure, you should also try it, because it sounds different.

That's really the essence of all these Airwindows compressors (perhaps more than any other class of plugin). They're all different algorithms, often pretty weird ones, and sound very different from each other. So you have to pick which ones fit with your type of music… but also, you don't have to pick, because they're all available to you for experimenting with, and if I come up with something weird and non-useful (SurgeTide comes to mind) then thanks to the Patreon I can put it out anyway, without worrying that it would kill the buzz and have people wondering if Airwindows has lost it. Even if it's useful to just one person, I can release anything, no matter how weird.

But this time, I don't think I'll be making excuses like that. VariMu has a good sound to it. I hope you like it :D

Thank you, Chris! This one sounds vari musical indeed.

it sounded very good on some over-loud claps. scaled them down without seeming to kill any of the brilliance.

Because my ear for dynamics is so crappy these are the only Airwindows plugins that I miss having any kind of in-plugin metering. With compressors I like to have the needle do its little 'flick' to see the compressor giving the waveform a little hug, without it I'm always worried I'm crushing everything to a sausage

mcbpete wrote:Because my ear for dynamics is so crappy these are the only Airwindows plugins that I miss having any kind of in-plugin metering. With compressors I like to have the needle do its little 'flick' to see the compressor giving the waveform a little hug, without it I'm always worried I'm crushing everything to a sausage
Get yerself some visualisers :)

Love this plug, it just works it :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Was thinking that but unsure how I'd get it to show the gain reduction - I guess I could run the compressed and uncompressed version out of phase from each other into a separate [muted] audio channel, and run metering on that track ...

mcbpete wrote:Was thinking that but unsure how I'd get it to show the gain reduction - I guess I could run the compressed and uncompressed version out of phase from each other into a separate [muted] audio channel, and run metering on that track ...
Never thought of that! That's clever and would work. I'm still committed to the 'in mix, no-one can hear your screen' concept but that's the sort of solution I really like, even if it's to do something I wouldn't do myself :)

Very helpful, Chris! Really like the coloration with high Speed values.

A nice hi-res oscilloscope like this one - https://schulz.audio/products/oszillos-mega-scope/ helps me with gauging the effects of "no-meter" plug ins :)

andymcbain wrote:A nice hi-res oscilloscope like this one - https://schulz.audio/products/oszillos-mega-scope/ helps me with gauging the effects of "no-meter" plug ins :)
Our zero-routing technology enables you to inspect the signals in context. Just drop an instance of Oszillos Mega Scope at each point in your signal chain you want to inspect.
Woah that sounds great - Does it have like a 'tap' version of the plugin and then the metering plugin goes at the end of the chain, or do multiple instances of the plugin 'communicate' with one another ?

Thank you Chris!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

mcbpete wrote:Was thinking that but unsure how I'd get it to show the gain reduction - I guess I could run the compressed and uncompressed version out of phase from each other into a separate [muted] audio channel, and run metering on that track ...
You could always use 2 visualisers, 1b4 varimu and 1 after?
Saves routing and should be easy enough to delete after you've completed the task?
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Return to “Effects”