Waves Lexicon 224

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why don't Waves try and emulate the Lexicon 224?

There are only two plug-ins which truthfully try to achieve the 224 sound: Native Instruments RC 24 and UAD Lexicon 224 Digital Reverb.
Lexicon itself brought the PCM, MPX and LXP lines, which sound very good on their own, but they don't have a specific 224 emulation as, for example, SSL have with the Duende Native suit.

The problem is that the RC 24 pretty much fails to emulate it, and the UAD isn't native.

Waves is such a big and influential company which has developed so many analog modeled plug-ins in the past, and the 224 is considered by many the best reverb in history. UAD will always win regarding emulation but Waves plug-ins are much more affordable and very decent. I wonder why don't they tried to emulate it already.

This is a very bizzare thread. As you've said, Waves specializes in analog modelling. The 224 is a digital reverb. I'm not aware of any vintage digital emulations that they've done. The reason why the UAD versions sounds spot on is pretty simple, they've licensed the actual source code from Lexicon. Trying to achieve pin-point-accurate emulation of digital reverb algorithms without the source code is pretty much a madman's game. The guy from Relab did with the 480 but it was a passion project for him and the guy spent years and probably a considerable portion of his sanity. For a commercial company like Waves that's just not feasible, not to mention they'd be stupid to try and tackle the accuracy of UAD's licensed emulation.

If you really want it, just cough up the money to get an UAD card and get over it. Yes, the cards are a scam but UAD has many emulations where the chance of any other, yet alone accurate, emulation popping up are slim to none, especially when it comes to vintage digital gear.

dubguy99 wrote:This is a very bizzare thread. As you've said, Waves specializes in analog modelling. The 224 is a digital reverb. I'm not aware of any vintage digital emulations that they've done. The reason why the UAD versions sounds spot on is pretty simple, they've licensed the actual source code from Lexicon. Trying to achieve pin-point-accurate emulation of digital reverb algorithms without the source code is pretty much a madman's game. The guy from Relab did with the 480 but it was a passion project for him and the guy spent years and probably a considerable portion of his sanity. For a commercial company like Waves that's just not feasible, not to mention they'd be stupid to try and tackle the accuracy of UAD's licensed emulation.

If you really want it, just cough up the money to get an UAD card and get over it. Yes, the cards are a scam but UAD has many emulations where the chance of any other, yet alone accurate, emulation popping up are slim to none, especially when it comes to vintage digital gear.
That really clarified a lot of things, thanks! As the 224 has a hardware piece a thought that they could sort of analyze the cards or whatever and figure it out, as you can see I'm not an engineer so sorry for my confusion haha

Return to “Effects”