Reptile Humanoïde Dub

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A deep techno and dub techno inspired track.

https://soundcloud.com/vitaminx/reptile ... e-download

It is entirely done with Renoise, all instruments are sample based.
The track has an unusual amount of delay and reverb busses, 14 in total.

As always I'd be very happy about your feedback regarding the composition, mixing, mastering, etc.

Greetings :)

DAW
- Renoise

Instruments
- samples

Effects
- Renoise internal effects
- u-he Presswerk
- u-he Protoverb
- u-he Colour Copy

My Feedback

Music - 6
Instruments - 7
Performance - 6
Mix - 8

Overall - 6.75

Comments: Musically very static. Almost like a beat. The very subtle modulations aren't enough to keep the track interesting. At least not for me. It's not until 2 minutes in that it finally starts to go somewhere but then stalls out again. A top line would help this thing immensely. As it is, very dull.

Thanks for your feedback, should I read it as comparison to other Dub techno releases or your music taste in general?

vitaminx wrote:Thanks for your feedback, should I read it as comparison to other Dub techno releases or your music taste in general?
Just my musical taste in general. You'll have to listen to other songs from the genre to determine for yourself if you think it's comparable. Of course being objective about one's own music is very hard.

This starts out with a nice clean take on dub, possibly too clean, I can see where Wags is coming from with regards to the track feeling a bit static, I love me some additional rolling drums in dub, have a listen to Mad Professor, like a cross between a lower snare and a tom, this would help to add additional textures to this piece IMO, echo's and filter sweeps are always good for the mix, basically movement.
Listening in mono, so I haven't taken note of the width, which would probably give me more details, whenever i be listened to tracks by Deepchord or echospace there's always a grittiness/sombre feeling that is included.
I dont want to be a downer on this piece, it just feel like it needs a few more touches/elements, which may sound weird talking about Dub music, there is a good basis here, just missing those flourishes needed to make it shine.:)
I'll listen again on my other system and post here any further comments.

This is only an opinion as I am not a musician :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

I haven’t listened to much of this genre of electronic music but I actually liked this. The beginning kind of threw me. But then as it progressed it worked for me at least. I don’t sence it lacking development as it seemed to flow pretty well in a minimalist way. It also made me think of up tempo electronic raggae. Is there such a thing?

Eauson wrote:I love me some additional rolling drums in dub, have a listen to Mad Professor, like a cross between a lower snare and a tom, this would help to add additional textures to this piece IMO, echo's and filter sweeps are always good for the mix, basically movement.
OK, point taken. :)
Eauson wrote:whenever i be listened to tracks by Deepchord or echospace there's always a grittiness/sombre feeling that is included.
One of Deepchords tracks was actually my reference for mastering. I'm leaning towards it a little more during the second part of the song. But you're right, they're grittier overall.
Eauson wrote:it needs a few more touches/elements
I'll see what I can do!
fastlanephil wrote:I actually liked this. The beginning kind of threw me. But then as it progressed it worked for me at least.
fastlanephil wrote:up tempo electronic raggae. Is there such a thing?
Probably, if you search hard enough :D

vitaminx wrote:
Eauson wrote:I love me some additional rolling drums in dub, have a listen to Mad Professor, like a cross between a lower snare and a tom, this would help to add additional textures to this piece IMO, echo's and filter sweeps are always good for the mix, basically movement.
OK, point taken. :)
Eauson wrote:whenever i be listened to tracks by Deepchord or echospace there's always a grittiness/sombre feeling that is included.
One of Deepchords tracks was actually my reference for mastering. I'm leaning towards it a little more during the second part of the song. But you're right, they're grittier overall.
Eauson wrote:it needs a few more touches/elements
I'll see what I can do!
fastlanephil wrote:I actually liked this. The beginning kind of threw me. But then as it progressed it worked for me at least.
fastlanephil wrote:up tempo electronic raggae. Is there such a thing?
Probably, if you search hard enough :D
I'm glad you took a positive attitude to my post, I often think that I am being overly critical of peoples music and should maybe tone down my responses, as I said, I'll take another listen, maybe my ears need downtime :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote:I'm glad you took a positive attitude to my post, I often think that I am being overly critical of peoples music and should maybe tone down my responses
I guess everyone takes it differently.
I'm first and foremost happy that someone takes the time to listen to it and to write his/her opinion.
I feel that I can learn more from critical responses than from "likes" - that's actually why I post it here :)

Soooo, I had another listen.
Strange, well I think it is :) that a few hours sleep, some caffeine and a better PAIR, not mono, speakers can tell you.
The wash of the strings, v nice, snare is a bit rigid mind, acid style noise is cool, although one of the notes seems a touch mis-pitched, love the scratch section, adds nicely @2.22, this is the type of thing. I was referring to with the snare/toms and the chanting adds nice depth and movement. Overall its a well crafted piece, to me anyway, just some additional bits and bobs will give the listener more scope to enjoy on further plays, bi t llike watching a film and then viewing again a few years later and catching all the little subtle moments that had been missed. :)
It all goes to show what a first listen on a small speaker can miss, or on any speaker for that matter, plus that relistening to something after a time can give someone a clearer view of the piece laid before them. :tu: :D

I'm sure I've just said the same thing twice, but in another fashion, its still early.
I may have to relisten again now, later on, as I could be talking gobbledygook :lol:

Eauson wrote:Overall its a well crafted piece, to me anyway, just some additional bits and bobs will give the listener more scope to enjoy on further plays
Thanks for having a closer listen to it.
I'll check the track today, maybe there are elements coming to my mind to make it a bit more exciting without being over the top.
Eauson wrote:It all goes to show what a first listen on a small speaker can miss
There are a few things which are purposely quite hidden, like the rain drops in the second parts or the chirping birds, and you might need to listen very closely to discover them.
Like a reward for active listeners. :)

I did a few unrelated changes:

First I removed some mud between 150 and 500 Hz.
Then I'm driving a little more into the master bus compressor and I automated more, so the overall volume should be louder.
I hope that it isn't overcompressed now :)

I've replaced the track on Soundcloud with the new version, but this is the old version for comparison: http://www.callistix.net/music/Reptile% ... %201.0.wav

Yes, there seems to be somewhat more drive to the SC version, will listen again, not on mono, proper stereo, hopefully I don't have hangover, once I rested my bones:D

not conversant w/ the genre , by any means ...

i think you are losing quite a bit of the interesting subtle tempo shifts , and the delay feedback back , back , back in the wash of the reverb ... i'm hearing just a hint of what's happening there , but it's drowning ...
the tempo seemed a bit pushed ...

perhaps that's your intent ...
i enjoyed it , overall ...

experimental.crow wrote:i'm hearing just a hint of what's happening there , but it's drowning ...
Ya, that was somehow my intent to hide some neat stuff behind the obvious.
experimental.crow wrote:the tempo seemed a bit pushed
Hmmm, that's a little hard to fix now :P
experimental.crow wrote:i enjoyed it , overall ...
Thanks mate :)

Return to “Music Cafe”