Swashbuckler Showdown

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love classic, adventure films like Indiana Jones, Zorro, Cutthroat Island, etc. So here is an action theme with a similar aesthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsELCOAklII
Last edited by AngelCityOutlaw on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

The first measures are a little measly - maybe all
film themes must be so. But your it develops -
very diversified and entertaining. All in all
a bit too short IMO.

The instrument sound is very convincing.
What instrument library did you use?
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote:The first measures are a little measly - maybe all
film themes must be so. But your it develops -
very diversified and entertaining. All in all
a bit too short IMO.

The instrument sound is very convincing.
What instrument library did you use?
Hey thanks a lot for the feedback.

I used a number of libraries:

Cinematic Strings
Cinebrass & Winds
Apocalypse Percussion
Olympus Choir
and a glockenspiel from Orchestral Essentials

I really like this one and my only criticism is that its too short and I would love to hear a fully developed version of this track. Nice job with the orchestration.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

biodiode wrote:I really like this one and my only criticism is that its too short and I would love to hear a fully developed version of this track. Nice job with the orchestration.
Hey, thanks a lot! Yeah, I know that most will say most of the stuff I post here is too short in advance. Tunes like this are just fun short tracks that I do on the side. At the moment, I'm also working on the scores to a video game and a short film, so that is where most of the longer tracks will be at haha.

Great adventure / action scene piece...nice to hear another orchestral swashbuckler on KVR! :0)

There's a lot of good development of the musical ideas in there for a 60 sec piece + some very effective textural ebb and flow.

It definitely does the SHOWDOWN idea well; obviously if it was longer I suspect that you would've let the music rise even further! :0)

A few VERY SMALL points about the orchestration / programming ( which is generally done very well)...

BRASS - fast notes tend to blur / lose their attack a little...maybe some key switching automation there?

WOODWIND - being an old orchestral player (trumpet) the lack of woodwind bothers me as it can add an extra dimension to even the shortest of pieces.

REVERB - did it need varying just a little bit more? Not sure on a couple of listens, but the soundstage from front to back seemed a little bit flat?

GREAT PIECE - thoroughly enjoyed listening to it.

My Feedback

Music - 9
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 9
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 8.75

Comments: What's to say? Very well done. Personal preference, a little longer and orchestra a little more dynamic.

I have made some subtle alterations to the track

This gives the minds eye great pictures :D
I listened to the original and left for a bit so I could listen again, afresh.
My memoire is non bon, so its a little hard to judge the changes, whether they have helped?
One thing did seem to stick out, on the drums, there seemed to be a hi on the snare, which while not a click, does seem a touch distracting, to me anyway.

Overall very Swashbuckling :D

This is just an opinion as I am not a musician.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Music - 9
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 9
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 8.75
- 9 - 8.5 - 9 - 8.5 = - 35
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:

Music - 9
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 9
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 8.75
:lol:

Wags is giving neg scores to things he likes, that may mean my works are better? Or he has started a new standard. You gets zerroed and your a winner :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

:hihi:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Eauson wrote:This gives the minds eye great pictures :D
Thanks. That's the idea!
Aloysius wrote:

Music - 9
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 9
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 8.75
I'm real bad at math tbh

AngelCityOutlaw wrote:I have made some subtle alterations to the track
I'm on big Mission speakers this time, so it hard to judge 100%...but to me those fast brass lines are now more sharply etched?

ChamMusic wrote:
AngelCityOutlaw wrote:I have made some subtle alterations to the track
I'm on big Mission speakers this time, so it hard to judge 100%...but to me those fast brass lines are now more sharply etched?
I re-recorded the modwheel on just about everything, increased the intro crescendo, a greater ritardando toward the end, increased the woodwind volume a bit (they double the violins and trumpets so they're harder to hear, but noticeably change the sound if they're absent) and I did shorten the note length on brass so it should trigger the release sooner.

Return to “Music Cafe”