A Charlie Brown Christmas at the Gates of Mordor

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A scoring exercise for myself, using myriad Kontakt libraries in a hybrid fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi/suspense kind of vein.

As of August 24th, a (slightly) revised mix:

https://soundcloud.com/user-286291412/a ... -morder-v2

The original (and not hugely different) mix:

https://soundcloud.com/user-286291412/a ... soundtrack
Last edited by andrelafosse on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i found that the mix sizzled a bit , but this is very well done ...
the minimal approach works well ...
good work ...

My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 8
Performance - 8
Mix - 7.5

Overall - 8

Comments: Interesting minimalist track. Voices could use some EQ on the top end. A little harsh. Other than that, nice. Odd, but nice.

its the choir sound mixed too loud generating some irritating harmonics.
and over processed in a boxy sounding reverb imho.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Great composition. I loved the "bleak" atmosphere that you created with the haunting vox. and the unsettling piano lines. It would probably work well as a piece of OST scoring in a murder/mystery/horror setting or possibly in a post-battle scene.

Good work :)

Thank you for listening, gentlepersons!

Shades of Morton Feldman at times...darkly atmospheric piece that leaves room for the decay of each sound and is not quite so obsessed with the initial attack!

"People rarely understand that the attack of a sound is NOT it's character...this comes from its decay...the departing landscape where the sound exists in our hearing...leaving us rather than coming towards us!" - MF

The man was a deep dude! :0)

Beautifully dissonant..I found myself playing along 3 or 4 times at the piano analysing exactly what you'd done!

Timbres all work together...love the subtle synth soundscapes in the background and the understated Vangelis deep thumps. The 'electronic' vocalist works even better once the second layer enters for me...at the beginning it is quite bare to the world and a slight synthetic edge intrudes on the impression that it might be 'real'.

Note: I, personally, would've liked the 2nd vocal entry to have been in harmony rather than unison / octaves? A small point, but I feel it would've lifted the intensity a touch more?

I was seriously hoping that all those melodic motifs would be steadily transformed into something entirely different as the music gradually rose in intensity towards a full orchestral section of some sort before once again settling down into this hauntingly restrained mood.

It's an instantly stunning piece of music that deserves to be developed even further.

:hyper: Good grief - a Morton Feldman reference on KVR?!?!

Thanks so much for the very kind feedback; delighted you dug it.

And thanks for the feedback from those who WEREN'T so into it, as well - it's good to hear a diversity of opinions. :tu:

The vocal reverb sounds off to me too. Maybe it's starting the build up too early for something that sounds that large? It's also maybe not the nicest reverb ever.

As a piece I liked it; but do take a look at that reverb.

This is spookily beautiful :)
I am hearing some freq resonance ( thx Mark @ChamMusic for this understanding ) throughout the piece, only slightly noticeable on main speakers but very obvious on my tablet.

This in NO way takes away how I feel about it though, also I hope that my equipment isn't at fault and I did not just firmly and thoroughly shove my foot in my mouth :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Hi, just had a listen to your Soundcloud track with headphones on Chrome and the frequency build up of the vocals is very dominant, it sounds almost metallic.
But then I imported the song to Renoise to check it on a freq. spectrum scope to see which range is affected, and there the buildup is almost gone.

Maybe it's a Soundcloud or web browser audio conversion problem?

Anyways, most buildup I could detect seems to be between 1100 - 1350 Hz.

Hi all,

Thanks again to everyone for listening and commenting. I've just uploaded a revised mix:

https://soundcloud.com/user-286291412/a ... -morder-v2

It's a pretty subtle revision, but I did rein in some of the more errant mid-high frequencies a bit.

As always, the time and feedback are much appreciated!

Wonderful music, but I didn't really get the title?
Jazz Clarinet Rocks - well sort of Swings anyway!

andrelafosse wrote:I did rein in some of the more errant mid-high frequencies a bit.
That fixed it! Sounds great now :)

(accidental double-post, sorry)
Last edited by andrelafosse on Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”