Opinion on Korg ARP Odyssey?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello! I was looking for a new synth and stumbled across the Korg ARP Odyssey. It sounds really good, the price tag is around that of the Moog Sub Phatty. And, slightly more than the Korg MS‑20. Now as much I like the sound, this would basically be my main synth for a bit if I were to get it. So I was wondering if anybody that owns one could vouch for it?

I was also curious about the versatility of the synth. I've tried to look around online for stuff like this but a lot of things I read were very contradictory. I'm well aware that this is also based on the synthesis skill level of the player.

If anyone says it depends on what I want out of a synth. I'm basically looking for a synth that could work as a solid lead. But one that's also versatile in doing so and could work for most genres of music. So like for example I could make really smooth sounds but also really aggressive ones. I don't know if I really need to explain that I feel like you all know what versatile means.

If this isn't the all in one dream synth I was hoping for, does anybody have any recommendations for other possible contenders?

Sound Demos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr9Qz0BbO3Q

https://youtu.be/QbL1OoaWg2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJw7orGn-Ds

The Moog Grandmother is a superb synth.

I have both the Grandmother and the Korg ARP Odyssey. Although the Odyssey can reach into weirder territory, I find the Grandmother to be more musical. It covers a good range of sonic timbre, from very fat, smooth sound to rather aggressive, in your face sound.

klapton wrote:The Moog Grandmother is a superb synth.

I have both the Grandmother and the Korg ARP Odyssey. Although the Odyssey can reach into weirder territory, I find the Grandmother to be more musical. It covers a good range of sonic timbre, from very fat, smooth sound to rather aggressive, in your face sound.
Alright cool thanks I'll have to check that out

The Karp Odyssey is a great synth.
Last edited by Acid Mitch on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

I borrowed a KARP recently, with a view to buying. Its made from plastic, the finish isn't great imho ... I didn't buy it. I own a SUB37, which is similar to the SUB Phatty. It sounds great ... so given the choice its the MOOG for me. I rather like the Moog Mother too (in a similar price range).

A cheap demo option if you have an iOS device would be to try out the Korg ARP ODYSSEi app.

thecontrolcentre wrote:I borrowed a KARP recently, with a view to buying. Its made from plastic, the finish isn't great imho ... I didn't buy it. I own a SUB37, which is similar to the SUB Phatty. It sounds great ... so given the choice its the MOOG for me. I rather like the Moog Mother too (in a similar price range).
I have the FS, but I'm certain the other models are the same having read reviews, and it is one sheet steel. The sides and bottom are a heavy-duty abs-type plastic wraparound, but the front/rear panel is most definitely metal, and the finish is exactly like a real Ody.

Mr Arkadin wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I borrowed a KARP recently, with a view to buying. Its made from plastic, the finish isn't great imho ... I didn't buy it. I own a SUB37, which is similar to the SUB Phatty. It sounds great ... so given the choice its the MOOG for me. I rather like the Moog Mother too (in a similar price range).
I have the FS, but I'm certain the other models are the same having read reviews, and it is one sheet steel. The sides and bottom are a heavy-duty abs-type plastic wraparound, but the front/rear panel is most definitely metal, and the finish is exactly like a real Ody.
Full Compass has all three of the Korg ARP Odyssey FS liveries on sale for $1299.99. Much less than Sweetwater or anywhere else I've seen. Includes the SQ-1 (in the Rev 3 color only). Search on ODYSSEYFSQ1, ODYSSEYFSQ2, or ODYSSEYFSQ3.

Mr Arkadin wrote:
I don't know what the FS is (full size?) ... but the one I was using had mini-keys and was completely plastic.
It was for sale, secondhand for £349 ...

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Mr Arkadin wrote:
I don't know what the FS is (full size?) ... but the one I was using had mini-keys and was completely plastic.
It was for sale, secondhand for £349 ...
The FS (it is full-size) and the module version are both metal. Didn't think the mini-key would be plastic, that's not good, but I wouldn't get a mini-key anything anyway for lead playing.

the answer is both.

I am running a Korg Odyssey Desktop Module from a Moog Grandmother and it's a great combination. So many ways to contrast and compliment each other.

If budget allows I highly recommend this to one and all 8)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”