Habituated

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote:
Eauson wrote:Okay, habituated, nope dont bet on me hating :) ( there's a joke in here somewhere, needs a change of accent and no it not me, dear doague dont let it be me :D )
Love the low rumble start, then things got a bit intense for the first 2 minutes and 20 something seconds from 16-17 seconds, you've got a real high pitch in there, it returns later on in the piece about 5.40, if this was intentionally placed there to make the listener uncomfortable, then well done, I'm jus5 glad I didn't have my cans on :( ah, just read the disclaimer at bottom of vid, not intentionally include or is it? )
When the tabla style drums appear, its lovely, the snare and geetar give a great sense in this, I really like how you strike a dialogue up with geetar and tabla, mimicking almost :)

Yes, would really like to hear a non YT version pleeeease.
I like highs. Is this another one o' these 'I found a resonance at __' deals? ;)
There is no disclaimer!

Actually the one thing that bothered me was the alto flute in the first section, it should stand out more, it did when YT compressed to a 192kbps file, it is what it should be except I noticed it a couple of times the same way in this mo' lossy file.
Ah, I have now been well Informed by Mark@chamMusic that it is freq resonance that I was hearing, speaker vibration.
No, what I'm talking about is hi highs, v high, piercing in fact, I had real trouble listening to the 1st 2 min. I hope l'm not being a right pain in this and others notice, as I seriously don't believe its my speakers , as your music is a highlight of the café.

As an aside, this post
Charlie Brown/mordor
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=509695

Its not this I'm hearing, its as I said above.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

bradkvr wrote:Great track - exactly the kind of thing I love. Reminds me of David Torn, maybe in his SPLaTTeRCeLL phase.
Thank you, Brad.

Eauson wrote:Okay, habituated, nope dont bet on me hating :) ( there's a joke in here somewhere, needs a change of accent and no it not me, dear doague dont let it be me :D )
Love the low rumble start, then things got a bit intense for the first 2 minutes and 20 something seconds
Good. :D
Eauson wrote: from 16-17 seconds, you've got a real high pitch in there, it returns later on in the piece about 5.40, if this was intentionally placed there to make the listener uncomfortable, then well done,
Ok; there is something at :19 that's pretty wild that is a new artifact. I like it. I'm going to look at it with the Analyzer in a minute to see what it looks like.

BUT, here is what 5:40 looks like:
Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 1.02.18 PM.png
you be trippin'
:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

and here @ 19, 20 seconds:
Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 1.07.55 PM.png
There's a nice something something at around 17kHz! :lol:
and it doesn't abate too quickly either. It sounds like saxophone multiphonics to me. It isn't. I donno wtf it is but it's kind of an interesting mystery now. :scared:

I hear it. Last test I took that seemed like it could be right I topped out at 17k.
The levels aren't that fierce, but it's definitely a high frequency where you say it was there.

SO? :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Link's NOT working Tuesday 21st 9:20pm

jancivil wrote:AND I'm addicted to the Starbucks energy drink today. White Chocolate or Vanilla preferably. It has teh Vitamin Bs.
And Taurine, whatever that is. Co'cola nearly killed me.

https://youtu.be/HSUGPwlTCoY
This link works here, I have not done anything with it since this morning's upload.

EDIT: yeah, the SC link is to nothingness. The one that is still there is the original
https://soundcloud.com/notevenhardly/habituo-y-antes-0

I haven't used SC in ~4 yrs.

oh btw and nota bene, there are notorious highs in the guitar solos, particularly the second one. It's feedback, it is what it is. It is absolutely intentional. I happen to really go for that kind of thing, which is apparently not everyone's flavor. :)

So, just to clarify, there is hi highs, 17 k
Okay, so I'm not going mad, or am I?
Will hopefully enjoy your new SC version in the morning.
Thankyouverymuch :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Well, I went to 5:40 and like "so am I deaf now?" so I looked at it. The pictures tell the story.

There are two small spikes at 19 seconds at around 11k and 17k. I think the higher one is a resonance of the other. :D

On second thought maybe not. EDIT:
No, the 11k has to be the squawk, the higher freq parallels it DUH, what is tht

OH, at around 1:20 there is a squealer but it's like 12k. That could make some people react! The 17k deal stuck around thru the whole goldurn 1st section apparently. For me it's not real prominent. I'm 62 years old.

I love it. I was using Sennheiser 280HD 'phones then, which are fairly flat. It's pretty exciting with this Shure SH440 job. :D Which knocked me out demoing them, I heard all of this stuff in the back to front I was working so hard on.

I'm listening to the real audio. I haven't listened much to the YT. I'm surprised there is so much of the highs present for you in that file. What are you hearing this on? These things definitely enhance the highs.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, SC a bit better, the hi highs migrate from right to eventually arriving to the left, still had to turn down as its still a touch too much for my ears.
This may also give me a greater understanding for my own music and why I tend to have quite flat highs?
My speakers are a pair of normalish bookshelf which cost me €5 from a tip/dump/decheterie and I use to do my own music with.
Agh, I've now got a ringing in me ears :(

There are some really high frequencies nearer the end. These are the tambourine sort of percussion instrument, I've forgotten what it's called, it might be 'jingle ring' (I vaguely remember choosing it) but that thing gets up over 20k apparently.

The feedback squealing is not very high, topping out at 6, 7k by comparison. I'd say the sustained 12k is what bugged you out. Has to be Absynth, Absynth will really produce some piercing things and I like long envelopes.

For me the SC compression codec is in certain cases intolerable (when there's a lot of lows or highs). This might be why the version in the initial post is gone from there. It's going to distort that stuff; YT is now distorting things I very much notice, which is why I re-upped the file. I still need to check it out. I had business crap eating my day completely up, which usually is not my life. I'm trying to chill out.

I can totally guarantee the experience is different with better quality transducers than what you just described. I know not everybody goes for this kind of sound, but you're having a very different experience with it than I am.

There is a 24-bit 44.1 file out in the air somewhere... ;)

jancivil wrote:There are some really high frequencies nearer the end. These are the tambourine sort of percussion instrument, I've forgotten what it's called, it might be 'jingle ring' (I vaguely remember choosing it) but that thing gets up over 20k apparently.

The feedback squealing is not very high, topping out at 6, 7k by comparison. I'd say the sustained 12k is what bugged you out. Has to be Absynth, Absynth will really produce some piercing things and I like long envelopes.

For me the SC compression codec is in certain cases intolerable (when there's a lot of lows or highs). This might be why the version in the initial post is gone from there. It's going to distort that stuff; YT is now distorting things I very much notice, which is why I re-upped the file. I still need to check it out. I had business crap eating my day completely up, which usually is not my life. I'm trying to chill out.

I can totally guarantee the experience is different with better quality transducers than what you just described. I know not everybody goes for this kind of sound, but you're having a very different experience with it than I am.

There is a 24-bit 44.1 file out in the air somewhere... ;)
24bit 44.1 :)

Ringings gone, I blasted it with some of my distortion thingies I'm working on, seemed to do the trick.
My speakers are fairly good, although they were cheap, they were developed by a company that used to make the ls3 for BBC and have a touch of that tech included :) maybe need to give them an overhaul at some point as they are like me, made in the 70's :D

The most resonance I have had from a synth is Aalto by madrona labs, still get nervous when using it (0i0)

Edit,
Last edited by Eauson on Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

there are unmusical sounds up there that irritate the hell out of me.
I'm sure many people that see this thread are saying 'what a moron, use some kind of shelving or something'
:lol:

Not for this. I spent untold hours mixing this monstrosity and my EQs display spectrum
Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 6.39.29 AM.png

Thoroughly enjoyed it...more so on the second listen...serious time warp for me back to my late night student days...we didn't give a shit about high frequencies man,...just the 'highs'! :0)

Production - wise, I won't make many comments as I'm not objective here...

Aging ears have lost certain high frequencies!

Aging ears have been regularly and happily abused by loud distorted guitar-led music!

The only thing I'll say is that most 'pain' often comes from frequency spikes between 3 - 6 kHz...I can still hear those easily and it all sounded fine to me! :0)
Last edited by ChamMusic on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”