KVRist

83 posts since 23 May, 2011
Locks up after 20 minutes, then reload
Locks up for good after 30 days
Doesn’t save presets
Intonation goes haywire
Limited voices
No effects
We have all downloaded them; we all wish they were free, but what is your favorite type of demo from a plugin manufacturer?
What types really give you a good look at a product, but not outright give it away for free?
Which ones make you want to buy the real thing?
Limp by on the demo?
stvrsz
KVRist

I was very sad when my DUNE2 demo expired. I just need to buy it.
I like how RAPID and MASSIVE let you use them for a limited time, and then shut off.
The noise thing in Sylenth1 is not that bad, but the crackling in DIVA can get bothersome.
You almost think you are gold with ZEBRA2, but then.....
Winstontaneous
KVRian

1368 posts since 14 Feb, 2006, from Berkeley, CA
stvrsz wrote:Locks up after 20 minutes, then reload
Locks up for good after 30 days
Doesn’t save presets
Intonation goes haywire
Limited voices
No effects
We have all downloaded them; we all wish they were free, but what is your favorite type of demo from a plugin manufacturer?
What types really give you a good look at a product, but not outright give it away for free?
Which ones make you want to buy the real thing?
Limp by on the demo?

I like "fully featured, saves presets but doesn't open them" like ToneBoosters and Tokyo Dawn Labs...just take a screenshot and you can get back to the settings if needed a la hardware.

I also like "locks up after 20 minutes" - using the VAZ Modular demo helped me get good at creating complex patches from scratch very quickly.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

11890 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal
stvrsz wrote:I was very sad when my DUNE2 demo expired. I just need to buy it.
I like how RAPID and MASSIVE let you use them for a limited time, and then shut off.
The noise thing in Sylenth1 is not that bad, but the crackling in DIVA can get bothersome.

Yes, for some reason the U-he noise is very irritating.

What noise in Sylenth1? I think there is a voice announcement, which really sucks.
pdxindy
KVRAF

13703 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds
Zebra is my favorite... it let me save and reload presets... after I had a bunch of presets, then I had to buy it :)
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

I guess the most motivating thing is when one can save patches, but not load them again before buying it :hihi:

Timeouts can be annoying as well. Time goes by much faster than it seems. So, you are in the middle of exploring something important and all of a sudden there is no sound anymore.
Zexila
KVRAF

3012 posts since 17 Mar, 2008
If effect, than no saving, if synth, than light noise with saving.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG
Examigan
KVRAF

4254 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA
Curve 2's demo limits are nice:

"The demo is fully functional and has no time limit, but you can only use one instance per song and you can't save your settings."
Examigan
KVRAF

4254 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA
Not a synth, but Melodyne Editor has a good 30 day trial.

"Let Melodyne convince you: try it out for 30 days – free of charge and without obligation.
You can test all its functions to your heart’s content and without any limitations, saving everything and making further use of it later – exactly as though you’d already purchased the application."
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

In times when some people leave their computers on 24/7, the saving and loading limitation might become useless.
Some plugins seem to go silent when rendering, though.
Niowiad
KVRist

190 posts since 25 Jan, 2017
I'm fine with anything but demos which expire after X days.

If I'm really interested in something I buy it regardless.
If I'm not sure about a product I might leave the demo in my VST folder for months/years, testing it out on several specific tasks over time and getting a license right when proved useful in a project. If the demo expires after 20-30 days, it's never long enough to come to that kind of conclusion. For me, at least...
Last edited by Niowiad on Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chk071
KVRAF

16799 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany
fluffy_little_something wrote:

What noise in Sylenth1? I think there is a voice announcement, which really sucks.

"Thank you for using this demo". I bet some EDM artist made a whole track around that sample. :P
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Ah right, luckily I haven't heard it in a while, though :hihi:

What is irritating about U-he's noise is that it seems to be there even if one mutes the plugin.
stvrsz
KVRist

fluffy_little_something wrote:

Yes. You are right about Sylenth...haven't used that one in a while.
stvrsz
KVRist

pdxindy wrote:Zebra is my favorite... it let me save and reload presets... after I had a bunch of presets, then I had to buy it :)

Yes. I agree. I love the Zebra one. I also like almost full ones like Massive, RAPID, and HGF that give you a cut down with no presets and maybe a time limit, but you can actually hear how it sits in the mix.

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments