iZotope RX7 Standard vs RX7 Advanced - feedback, worth it?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Caine123
KVRAF
5356 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:16 am

so im thinking about if advanced is for me or not, maybe you can help me ;D

Dialogue Contour
afaik it is REALLY mostly needed for post production for movies etc. for music stuff it is nearly not needed, as singers/rappers should have no probs with it and if so it would be a pain to adjust their acapellas ;)

Dialogue De-reverb
ok this is one of THE very interesting plugins! but i dont know if Zynaptiq Unveil shouldnt be enough?

De-rustle
same as above, i guess this is mostly for post production and if you are nitpicky, if your clients/acapellas have too much rustling they should quit their recordings ;)

Dialogue Isolate
this is the SECOND most interesting module for me, but the REBALANCE should also give you quite nice results to isolate an acapella?

Ambience Match
THIS!!! is awesome, i checked some youtube videos, but do you use it for musical acapellas?

Center Extract
dunno

De-wind
well this seems awesome for recorded dialoge and sounds, especially for field recordings i guess, but i dont do it sadly atm much....

Deconstruct
didnt understand it much, it seems more of the same?

well my upgrade price would be +$300 more over the standard upgrade, the standard upgrade seems to be VERY worth with the rebalance etc.

i wonder, are vst plugins also included in the standard version of RX7?

thanks so much guys!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

aMUSEd
KVRAF
29810 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: iZotope RX7 Standard vs RX7 Advanced - feedback, worth it?

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Isn't it also the only version with Radias timestretch?

surferman
KVRist
298 posts since 27 Mar, 2008

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:26 pm

I just upgraded to the Advanced and have only just started to try it out. The music rebalance is a feature I was interested in. I have a lot of old recordings of my band and some days we had a great mix and some days not so much. So far it seems that it works but I have had time to completely redo a song. The noise reduction features are amazing.
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

Caine123
KVRAF

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:27 pm

surferman wrote:I just upgraded to the Advanced and have only just started to try it out. The music rebalance is a feature I was interested in. I have a lot of old recordings of my band and some days we had a great mix and some days not so much. So far it seems that it works but I have had time to completely redo a song. The noise reduction features are amazing.
but those features are also in standard edition ;)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

surferman
KVRist
298 posts since 27 Mar, 2008

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:32 am

yep correct, my mistake.
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

Robmobius
KVRAF
3102 posts since 10 Sep, 2010 from A shit hole (Ireland).

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:55 am

If you just want it for music stuff and not for post-production then I don't really see the need.
We 'the leaders' bring you the ultimate paradigm shift. Dramatization: No paradigms were actually shifted in the making of this statement. Furthermore, any reference to paradigms is for entertainment purposes only.

simon.a.billington
KVRian
1412 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:58 am

What I like to do is put a monetary value on each “addition”. How much are they worth to me?? How much would I be prepared to pay for that specific feature. Would I even use it?? Usually it’s in the order of $50 to $100.

By adding the values up I get a general idea of whether the upgrade fee is worth it. Sometimes it’s a no brainer, other times it’s more than I’d be prepared to pay. In which case I consider that it might be worth it if it were on sale for a more reduced price.

I jumped from RX4 to RX6 because I felt the upgrade price to 5 wasn’t worth it. There were quite a few PT features, but I run Logic, so it lost value to me. I ended up jumping a version which made it better value for money.

In this instance, the added features equal roughly how much I’d pay for it, so I’m considering an upgrade this time around. I also need to upgrade Insight, so now I’m considering the Production Suite. I’ve been avoiding Neutron for a while since I may start using it more and not get any value out of my other eqs!! But now it makes more financial sense, even though Loudness Control is worthless to me since, again, I don’t run ProTools.

Anyway, that’s a little overview to how I evaluate upgrades.

Robmobius
KVRAF

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:02 am

The speech de-verb is really something special.

But like all tools, there's still no magic bullet so you can only push things so far. But if you deal with dialog professionally (not vocals per se) then this could not only be a great timesaver but could actually make bad recordings usable.
We 'the leaders' bring you the ultimate paradigm shift. Dramatization: No paradigms were actually shifted in the making of this statement. Furthermore, any reference to paradigms is for entertainment purposes only.

bmanic
KVRAF
8043 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:17 am

Have they improved it? I have RX 6 Advanced and the de-verb algorithm in that is not even close to the same level as the Zynaptiq plugin. There are other options out there too and I always felt this is one area iZotope should improve as it's so useful (even on good recordings if the space doesn't "fit" the scene perfectly).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Robmobius
KVRAF

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:42 am

bmanic wrote:Have they improved it?
yep! I can't compare it to Zynaptic's one as I've not used it.

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2429 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:50 am

Dialogue De-reverb is the real magic of this release. It’s massively better than the old module, ditto Unveil. It’s in another league to both. But - it’s a machine learning-based module so optimised for voice only.

I’d say for music use, Standard makes most sense. For Post, definitely Advanced.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

Caine123
KVRAF

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:42 am

again thx a lot guys, i demo'ed a lot more atm and advanced seems very specific. here are some questions i hope someone can answer and has experiences in this?
im thinking about getting the advanced version.................. but i need to check if the modules are worth it!

Deconstruct vs. Music Rebalance
Music Rebalance is absolutely awesome, i got frei:raum but enhancing the different parts of a song is not always sounding smooth and much changed, here i get really nice results! slightly lowering percs if too loud for my taste etc,

Deconstruct, seems to be a bit similiar, i could get e.g. melodies here more specific in the front. which is in music rebalance sometimes a hit and miss if you got metal stuff for example where the frequencies are overlapping a lot.

when do you, would u use DECONSTRUCT?

Azimuth
i recorded a lot of demo tapes and vinyls, i never checked abouth Azimuth stuff and just learned about it, is RX7 recommendable to let it suggest the settings and apply? it seems to find on nearly every 20 recordings i tested so far imbalances around 0.5 to 2.

Leveler
not much intersted in this but would it be recommendable while compiling a cd e.g. 10 tracks and set the target level on all the same render and thats it? i normally wanted to use mcompare, metric or something to get the target level. if LEVELER would maybe make it easier and faster i would be interested.

Loudness
Same as LEVELER, guess i need to understand the difference!

the other ADVANCED modules are very specific for vocals only, i dont have so many vocals and earn money with them yet but i might consider those for my own acapellas, but as i dont record like a journalist etc. i shouldnot be confronted with De-Rustle, De-Wind etc. as i record in my studio and not outside.....

in the end it is mostly just the 4 above mentioned modules, are they special, any alternatives, make those my life easier for mastering etc.?

again thx guys.

plexuss
KVRAF
2274 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:11 am

Hi. Your question is about standard vs advanced. However in the thread so far the individual tools are being discussed. So I will address the standard vs advanced question. I have RX5 Advanced. I do not plan to upgrade. However the differences between standard and advanced are the same and the most value is in having the modules as separate plugins with advanced. For me, this is worth it. I use the plugins a fair amount to help fix noise issues with tracks in mix projects. without advanced I couldn't use the RX tools in a mix project and to me that is the main value. If you don't think you'll need to use those tools as separate plugins, then standard should do. I dont use the stand-alone version that much. But for those that need the stand alone version more than plugins, then the standard version would be the choice. :phones:

Caine123
KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am

plexuss wrote:Hi. Your question is about standard vs advanced. However in the thread so far the individual tools are being discussed. So I will address the standard vs advanced question. I have RX5 Advanced. I do not plan to upgrade. However the differences between standard and advanced are the same and the most value is in having the modules as separate plugins with advanced. For me, this is worth it. I use the plugins a fair amount to help fix noise issues with tracks in mix projects. without advanced I couldn't use the RX tools in a mix project and to me that is the main value. If you don't think you'll need to use those tools as separate plugins, then standard should do. I dont use the stand-alone version that much. But for those that need the stand alone version more than plugins, then the standard version would be the choice. :phones:
thx a lot! i dunno if these work in fl studio yet, i saw not all modules are as plugins available, cause this would be cool of course to use them in a project themselves ! :)

al808
KVRer
8 posts since 29 May, 2005

Post Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:13 am

Sorry but I've got rx6 standard,and it comes with the plugin versions that I can use in Logic,
Cheers Al.

Return to “Effects”