iPad or Mac for the Linnstrument?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BobDog wrote: Ah yeah, I forgot about all that, was it you and Roger that sorted out the update?
Yes. I mean, obviously DSI was involved, but it was Roger and I burning the midnight oil for over a year, tirelessly documenting, correlating, testing, and prioritizing what would prove to be more than 80 critical bugs; all the while railing against DSI's reluctance. I would, however, like to clarify that I'm speaking only for myself here and not Roger Linn, as I do have the unique perspective of also being a dissatisfied customer. But again, if it were not for Roger's own strong sense of obligation to the products he produces, the Tempest would not have come across the line.
BobDog wrote: I had a run in with one member of staff (I bet you can guess which one) which made me hang up my moderator hat on their forum...
I've got a pretty good idea (wink).
BobDog wrote: And who wouldn't want a Linndrum II, that one is news to me!
And it will be MPE capable, using the LinnStrument's touch sensor technology!

Cheers!

John was a BIG help to me in not only identifying the bugs but also in testing, which I greatly appreciate. He's fastidious and traces down a bug in order to figure out how to reliably demonstrate it-- a developer's dream. Thanks so much, John.

You, Sir, are most welcome. It's always a pleasure to participate where care and due diligence prevail (wink).

Cheers!

Is there more info on the Linndrum II, or is it hush hush at the moment?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

I got it.
So far I've only had time to sit with it in three occassions. Plug and play. Instant joy.

When I used to play the bass I had the grid imprinted in my mind. It was the only way for me to find the relationship between notes, scales, chords... I've never "seen" the notes in a keyboard and although I could do some chords, it was more trying and guessing than anything else. With the grid comfortably laid out in front of me I can now just move my fingers up and down and that memories of 20 years ago slowly begin to come.

Musically there is a lot to do but much less than with a keyboard midi controller.

Now that said, I'm having problems in MPE mode, the notes wobbling wildly, nothing stable, like my fingers were made of butter. I've experienced this whenever I change to MPE mode in Logic Pro with the native sounds and with Roger Linn's downloadable sounds. In normal mode (no MPE) I do not experience any issues.
The software is updated to last version as of today.

Am I doing something wrong, settings, technique, adjustments? Or...?

If you press per-split settings, what do you have BEND RANGE set to?

Also what Settings do you have lit up under PITCH/X, if QUANTIZE is turned off then turn it on.

Hi tiantong,

I’m glad you’re enjoying your LinnStrument and thank you for owning one.

Regarding your problem, I’m not sure what you mean by “wobbling”. Do you mean that small finger movements produce large changes in pitch? If so, and you are using sounds in my project file for Logic, then my guess is that your LinnStrument’s Bend Range is set to something other than the correct 24.

Ha — I see BobDog had the same thought. Great minds think alike. :)

Tiantong— if you’re not so familiar with LinnStrument’s settings, the Getting Started page tells you how to set all necessary settings for MPE use: hold the Channel Per Note button (it turns blue). Or to set everything as it was when new, perform a settings reset: in Global settings, Actions column, press Notes Off + Update OS at the same time.

BobDog wrote:Is there more info on the Linndrum II, or is it hush hush at the moment?
There's no big news about the drum machine project other than similar to what I've written on my site in past. It will have a real-time performance-oriented non-stop workflow similar to Tempest, sample-based drum and pitched sounds with expected sound shaping/filtering/modulation elements and loading of user samples, with 3D control similar to LinnStrument but with larger pads. Beyond that, I'd prefer not to say for now in order to not tip off the competition.

Roger_Linn wrote:
BobDog wrote:Is there more info on the Linndrum II, or is it hush hush at the moment?
There's no big news about the drum machine project other than similar to what I've written on my site in past. It will have a real-time performance-oriented non-stop workflow similar to Tempest, sample-based drum and pitched sounds with expected sound shaping/filtering/modulation elements and loading of user samples, with 3D control similar to LinnStrument but with larger pads. Beyond that, I'd prefer not to say for now in order to not tip off the competition.
Sounds good, If you need any pre-orders/testers let me know, you have my email :)

Thanks, Bob.

Roger_Linn wrote:Hi tiantong,

I’m glad you’re enjoying your LinnStrument and thank you for owning one.

Regarding your problem, I’m not sure what you mean by “wobbling”. Do you mean that small finger movements produce large changes in pitch? If so, and you are using sounds in my project file for Logic, then my guess is that your LinnStrument’s Bend Range is set to something other than the correct 24.
Hi Roger & all

thank you for taking the time to answer. It was bend range that was somehow other than 24. I've been watching the getting started video, also read the support page but please, bear with me, I will come with more newbie's questions. :dog:

tiantong wrote:I've been watching the getting started video, also read the support page but please, bear with me, I will come with more newbie's questions. :dog:
No worries, tiantong. In my experience, the less techy musicians are often the more talented musically. :)

Roger_Linn wrote: No worries, tiantong. In my experience, the less techy musicians are often the more talented musically. :)
I take exception to that statement... Ahem!

In my experience the previous Bitwig versions had this annoying behavior to set the range to 1. Maybe that caused it...

Return to “Roger Linn Design”