Local Man Finishes a Couple of Songs

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently had a couple of free days to actually record some music. These two songs are intended to be a part of a large project that I may have time to finish at some point before I die.
They are still in a somewhat rough state (they'll inevitably evolve a bit and get some re-records in the future) but they are mostly what they will end up being.
Even though I would liked to have unveiled these once I was done with the whole project, I probably won't have much time or space for music for quite awhile so I figured I'd leave these here for now.
I hope there are some of you out there that get where I am coming from and find some joy in these songs.
Anyway, for anyone who listens, thanks for your time!

https://soundcloud.com/user-44872685/miles-away

https://soundcloud.com/user-44872685/th ... as-cleared

I like the music a lot.

I would urge you to work on the vocals. You sound strained and like you've sung everything in one go. I'm a terrible singer, so take what I say with a pinch of salt... You need to open up your throat and shoulders. You sound constricted up top, and I don't get the feeling you are breathing with your abdomen. Take big breaths, and push the air out from below, rather than forcing it from your shoulders. Keep the shoulders wide. You'll get much more volume, tone and resonance if you do that. Stand straight too, and watch your posture.

Singing is very fatiguing, so I'd suggest recording section by section, doing a few takes of each until you think you've nailed it. Take breaks between takes and drink some water!

In short: I'm missing a convincing confident delivery that says you own the song.

sjm wrote:I like the music a lot.

I would urge you to work on the vocals. You sound strained and like you've sung everything in one go. I'm a terrible singer, so take what I say with a pinch of salt... You need to open up your throat and shoulders. You sound constricted up top, and I don't get the feeling you are breathing with your abdomen. Take big breaths, and push the air out from below, rather than forcing it from your shoulders. Keep the shoulders wide. You'll get much more volume, tone and resonance if you do that. Stand straight too, and watch your posture.

Singing is very fatiguing, so I'd suggest recording section by section, doing a few takes of each until you think you've nailed it. Take breaks between takes and drink some water!

In short: I'm missing a convincing confident delivery that says you own the song.
That is really great advice. Thank you.
Yes, vocals are my Achilles heel. The ultimate plan is to re-record the vocals or even better to find an actual singer.
I will definitely take your advice in the future though because it's probably the first time I've received such practical feedback on the matter. Thanks again!

Local Man wrote:

That is really great advice. Thank you.
Yes, vocals are my Achilles heel. The ultimate plan is to re-record the vocals or even better to find an actual singer.
I will definitely take your advice in the future though because it's probably the first time I've received such practical feedback on the matter. Thanks again!
Don't listen to him, you need to sing sitting down, slouching whilst smoking roll-ups.. :hihi:

Some interesting stuff here, a lot of ideas. In some parts reminded me of Pavement and the US indie bands of that era.

donkey tugger wrote: Don't listen to him, you need to sing sitting down, slouching whilst smoking roll-ups.. :hihi:
Ok great, so basically don't change a thing :lol: (I did give up the rollies several years back though :D)
donkey tugger wrote: Some interesting stuff here, a lot of ideas. In some parts reminded me of Pavement and the US indie bands of that era.
Wow, very astute with the Pavement reference. In particular I think the bridge in Miles Away has a very strong Stephen Malkmus vibe (if only I had his lyrical and vocal abilities).
As far as vocals go, my goal is to at least be in league with famous not so great singers such as Elliott Smith and Jason Lytle from Grandaddy, and other similar non-singer singers.

Here's another one that I recorded a little earlier but that is intended for the same project. The mix needs a little more work on this one than the others I think.
Anyway, if you have the time let me know what you think. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/user-44872685/some-monsters

I would urge you to work on the vocals.

I absolutely agree with this. Nice music!

And to your point, you don't need to be a good singer--just work on it and make sure you have a convincing confident delivery. Then again, I offer the suggestion as someone who couldn't produce what you did *and* is also a terrible singer :P

-u
"I guess one person can make a difference, but most of the time they probably shouldn't." -M. Simpson

Listen to first song, excellent music.
With the vocals a great trick everyone uses is to double track them. They don't have to be at the same level. The effect is to average out missed notes and make them more powerful. generally this is done in choruses!
Well done.
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Allomerus wrote:Listen to first song, excellent music.
With the vocals a great trick everyone uses is to double track them. They don't have to be at the same level. The effect is to average out missed notes and make them more powerful. generally this is done in choruses!
Well done.
:)
It's also easy to add double tracking if you record multiple takes at once, as I suggested above. You don't need to use them all/everywhere, but it gives you options. Sometimes you might just want to double up the odd choice phrase, for example.

The one thing to watch out for when double-tracking is to make sure you don't massively vary the rhythmic delivery of the vocals, or they end up sounding like two out of time singers, rathern than a nice thick sound.

I enjoyed both. First was my personal favourite as I found the tune a bit stronger.
Jazz Clarinet Rocks - well sort of Swings anyway!

sjm wrote: In short: I'm missing a convincing confident delivery that says you own the song.
agree with this.
the songs are great, i love elliot smith and granddaddy so i know what you mean about their vocal style, but they still project well.
sing like no one is listening! don't be so shy, you have a good voice (for the style, yeah youre no pavarotti...) you do just need to own that mofo!

look forward to more, and nice little studio set up 8)

Really great tracks :tu: Thanks a lot! I especially like the first two the most.
Really very inventive songwriting and the mix is also good for my ears.

Don't listen what the others said :-P Your voice is alright - and of course it could be set more prominent in the mix. But sorry - then I'm no help - I'm not that friend of "put a little more compression on ..." and neither I think that the form of presentation your singing included has left some expectations here - I just enjoyed your songs - so simple I am.
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Return to “Music Cafe”