What makes a synth suitable for "electronic dance music"?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Character. Punch (good, punchy, snappy envelopes). Pleasant unison (teh supersaw ;)). Easy workflow. Good filters.

recursive one wrote:But these artists are picking certain synths that work for them. What are the reasons behind their choice? Are they just good enough at sound-design and production so they can pick any arbitrary synth and make the awesome sounds everyone will try to copy, or there are some technical reasons why some synths work better for them than the others?

I understand the improtance of that copycat vs. innovator thing, but I'm more interested in technical aspects here than in social.
The answers maybe simpler then you think. They use it because they have and it is good for what they are up to. Whats the point to have "this" best sounding sound if you don't know ho to use it properly in your theme and even worst if you don't have any theme and just using "this" sound to make the whole track. Track that have "this" sound that doesn't have proper composition and it's sound like it was generated using automated composing system based on some algorithm. Lifeless piece of something but you are happy because you have "this" sound. Imagine a Mozart struggling with his musical piece because he doesn't have "this" piano. If you are good you can use even fart to "create a symphony". And there are people here on KVR that I know that they can really make this possible.
anomandaris1 wrote: Name some "new" styles and trends or sounds... Modern "cutting edge" synth sounds can be heard in some very old sci-fi movies (I guess guys back then were using custom built or university/military technologies). It's great that now we have access to such sounds, but when someone makes a popular trend tomorrow using some additive/spectral/granular/whatever weird sound, don't call him an innovator. None of this is "new".
So you are saying the whole time there is no inovation? :o And we hear the same stuff over and over in (for example) last 2000 years? Really. To name some last: somebody in 90's make a wobble bass in his track and somebody thinks that it is good idea to turn this into a style. Style based just on this sound. And now everywhere we hear wub wub and every one trying to make the same wub wub in his track. No no offense against any style but we already have too many that are build around certain sound and in the end everything sound same because they are trying to get "this" sound. Instead we agree it was awesome sound properly used in this track and move forward, we simply copy this over and over. It is not about proper sound but about proper use of any sound.

chk071 wrote:Punch (good, punchy, snappy envelopes).
While I think I understand what exactly you mean here, it would be great to see some techncial insuight on that. What makes an envelope "snappy" and "punchy"? Is it only about the envelope shape?

The filter envelopes in some synths can produce really tight attack, some other synths don't sound like that at the same or whatever other settings.

Good exmample may be Dune2 filter envelopes with "analog" turned on and off, the sound is wastly different at the same envelope settings (I'm talking short plucky sounds). What does this "analog" exactly do?
Last edited by recursive one on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

According to Richard:
New Envelopes

The Filter ADSR section in version 2.5 gains an "Analog" switch, which uses a novel circuit-simulated envelope model for the filter and amplitude envelope. The circuit model is based on discrete vintage-analog electronics, and models the envelope with a very high accuracy.

The difference is usually best audible with fast attack times, where it creates a very "snappy" envelope. As an example patch, try the new patch "Precision Trance KS" then turn on/off the analog envelope to hear what it does to the sound.
Doesn't get into detail though, what exactly that "circuit-simulated envelope model" does. IMO, it's also not about the envelope shape. If it was, you could just use MSEG's, and get punch out of any synth, which is not the case. It surely has to do with the synth engine itself.

chk071 wrote: IMO, it's also not about the envelope shape. If it was, you could just use MSEG's, and get punch out of any synth, which is not the case. It surely has to do with the synth engine itself.
Yes, my thoughts exactly.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Would love to have a dev explain that to me one day. :) IMO, some synths just sound "snappy" by default. Even the phaser effect in Spire sounds somewhat snappy, and fat. Can't explain it really.

The Tone2 synths also rather tend to the more snappy, tight side of things.

if it does everything, and it does everything for you, and it sounds like everything else ... it's a good edm synth.

chk071 wrote:According to Richard:
New Envelopes

The Filter ADSR section in version 2.5 gains an "Analog" switch, which uses a novel circuit-simulated envelope model for the filter and amplitude envelope. The circuit model is based on discrete vintage-analog electronics, and models the envelope with a very high accuracy.

The difference is usually best audible with fast attack times, where it creates a very "snappy" envelope. As an example patch, try the new patch "Precision Trance KS" then turn on/off the analog envelope to hear what it does to the sound.
Doesn't get into detail though, what exactly that "circuit-simulated envelope model" does. IMO, it's also not about the envelope shape. If it was, you could just use MSEG's, and get punch out of any synth, which is not the case. It surely has to do with the synth engine itself.
:lol:

it's not the tool :wink:

you guys love to make shit so gawd damn complicated. the analog switch on dune2 just makes a linear curve an exponential curve that can be further tweeked.

Go listen to some of the OSC's done here using Synth1 and then tell me you need some fancy synth to do EDM.

The only thing that makes a synth EDM friendly is what's between your ears.

Know what's funny? That threads like these always especially attract people that have no idea about, or correlation to the topic. :P

chk071 wrote:Know what's funny? That threads like these always especially attract people that have no idea about, or correlation to the topic. :P
i know!

have at it. you have to ask yourself why you do what you do and use the right tool for you. in the case of edm it's about pumping out the same track 12 times a day for the last 40 yrs. choose your tool.

By EDM I mean basically any kind of danceable electronic music, DnB, classic trance, dubstep, psytrance, breaks, progressive house, whatever.
first, you need to...

go type EDM into YouTube and maybe understand what shit you shovellin,
then worry about your f**king synth.

DnB, classic trance, dubstep, psytrance, breaks, progressive house are NOT 'EDM'.
Last edited by sqigls on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:Know what's funny? That threads like these always especially attract people that have no idea about, or correlation to the topic. :P
Me too...
I never heard of, or heard friendly EDM. If you have a friendly synth you would probably do something better than (name it) EDM...; - )

Return to “Instruments”