What makes a synth suitable for "electronic dance music"?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I cannot figure out how to mute the notifications from this thread now *facepalm. That did make me smile though vurt. I didn't know people still listened to something "imperfect" anymore.

1: I apologize to all of you for my harsh comments. It just gets really, really, really old after decades of seeing the same thread with the same responses all because folks are told they have to do things a certain way or it's not "right". music has been gutted because of it. I do realize that you don't get paid unless people listen though, and ever since ableton... well... then the iphone, the only thing people are listening to now are samples. Prefabbed samples. It's all they know. if it's not that it's presets. so everyone has the same sounds listening to the same programmed algorithm over and over again.

2: "Real music" is when someone plays something. Not well, not great, It's when someone plays SOMETHING. What people are doing now is programming a computer. It has very little to do with expression. It's an algorithm, and it's boring me to tears.

Dasheesh wrote: That did make me smile though vurt.
:?

was I not supposed to smile vurt? sorry, I didn't know. I'll do better next time.

It surprised me.

Can anyone give a more technical explanation of what these words "crisp" "clean" "clear" "thin" "thick" mean and how/why they must be achieved at oscillator level?

Urs was getting frustrated in the Zebra thread when people said his synth didn't sound "modern" based on these kind of adjectives.

Dasheesh wrote:was I not supposed to smile vurt? sorry, I didn't know. I'll do better next time.

It surprised me.

no its not that, im just not sure what made you smile? :hihi: i think i missed something somewhere?

i liked it vurt.

oh, the track? thanks :)

sorry, its late and im high :ud:

Dasheesh wrote:I cannot figure out how to mute the notifications from this thread now *facepalm. That did make me smile though vurt. I didn't know people still listened to something "imperfect" anymore.

1: I apologize to all of you for my harsh comments. It just gets really, really, really old after decades of seeing the same thread with the same responses all because folks are told they have to do things a certain way or it's not "right". music has been gutted because of it. I do realize that you don't get paid unless people listen though, and ever since ableton... well... then the iphone, the only thing people are listening to now are samples. Prefabbed samples. It's all they know. if it's not that it's presets. so everyone has the same sounds listening to the same programmed algorithm over and over again.

2: "Real music" is when someone plays something. Not well, not great, It's when someone plays SOMETHING. What people are doing now is programming a computer. It has very little to do with expression. It's an algorithm, and it's boring me to tears.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said! :tu: :hug:
Last edited by ZeePok on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ZeePok wrote:When I listen to the radio the differences in loudness between a 60's/70's recording and modern track are very significant!
Yeah, between 20's and 60's/70's also, stupid hippies and their loud music. :hihi:

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
ZeePok wrote:When I listen to the radio the differences in loudness between a 60's/70's recording and modern track are very significant!
Yeah, between 20's and 60's/70's also, stupid hippies and their loud music. :hihi:

I totally agree with zeepok, and what zexila is looking at are compression rates. there are no dynamics left. jimmy hendrix would have been laughed off stage today.

Dasheesh wrote:jimmy hendrix would have been laughed off stage today.
"Your dynamic range is high and I'm too high to appreciate it", yeah, totally. :drunk:

Mono compatibility is all the rage on parties these days. :hihi:

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Doubt it, this is pure synth music:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVjcIO4MT4

ZeePok wrote:
vurt wrote:
ZeePok wrote: 
Real Music!

definition needed?
Easy: Real Music is Original and Truly Inspired, moves the listener and takes him/her on a Voyage to transcend the soul! :love: (without using any drugs!)

Examples: Tchaikovsky Symphonies, Firebird by Stravinsky That is what the western music culture once was about.

@chk071: if you got any examples to prove me wrong, I'm all in for it. :ud:
Normal people once upon a time were dancing to symphonies and Stravinsky... good to know. :clap: :party: :help: :hyper: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you heard any traditional folk dance? Most are just as simple as any EDM song.

imrae wrote:Can anyone give a more technical explanation of what these words "crisp" "clean" "clear" "thin" "thick" mean and how/why they must be achieved at oscillator level?
Yes, the thread was meant to be about THIS, not about anyone's inflated egos or allegedly superior musical tastes. I gave a reference to certain bunch of genres characterized by common "sound" and preferred use of certain synths because otherwise it would be highly subjective.

Guys, I don't care about anyone's opinion on what is "real music" or how bad is EDM but the long wall of offtopic posts makes the thread hard to navigate. Please do have some respect. :help:
Last edited by recursive one on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

OK, how's this for concise: It must grab you by the gonads and squeeze hard.

Return to “Instruments”