Clear Skies

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This was the type of tune I was in the mood to compose when the sun appeared after 4 days of non-stop rain from hurricane Florence - Enjoy! Warning not a lullaby!

Oh yeah if you are wondering why the CPU usage is peaking at 85%, it is because the Roland System-8 VST plugin is an absolute CPU hog, and I am using this for three of the instruments.

https://youtu.be/ijJQW2sRuBE
Last edited by DKDiveDude on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Scuba divers work best under pressure!"

https://www.youtube.com/user/DKDiveDude (Original music and hardware videos)

DKDiveDude wrote:Oh yeah if you are wondering why the CPU usage is peaking at 85%, it is because the Roland System-8 VST plugin is an absolute CPU hog
exactly why i avoid many "newer" synths. well at least till cpu technology
will use only 2% on that system-8 synth :hihi:

nice little tune btw, a toe tapper :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Accidental repeat deleted.
Last edited by JazzyClarinetMan on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazz Clarinet Rocks - well sort of Swings anyway!

I liked the groove very much as it has a lot of energy.

Would it be better if some of the sections were a bit shorter? It was a long time, 3 minutes 20 seconds, before there was a different bit of music.

layzer wrote:
DKDiveDude wrote:Oh yeah if you are wondering why the CPU usage is peaking at 85%, it is because the Roland System-8 VST plugin is an absolute CPU hog
exactly why i avoid many "newer" synths. well at least till cpu technology
will use only 2% on that system-8 synth :hihi:

nice little tune btw, a toe tapper :tu:
Yes you are right. I never had a real need for the feature. But actually I have since, today been able to get CPU usage down from 85% to 75% just by increasing "Block size" to 1024 samples. Sure latency increased a bit, but then again I rarely record anything.

JazzyClarinetMan wrote:I liked the groove very much as it has a lot of energy.

Would it be better if some of the sections were a bit shorter? It was a long time, 3 minutes 20 seconds, before there was a different bit of music.
Thanks for your comment. Perhaps it would be better (for some). Myself I like loooong pieces, so my first priority would be to increase the whole composition, mainly by increasing breaks. But I may at one point also make a shorter "Radio" edit.

BTW you accidentally posted your comment twice.

DKDiveDude wrote:

Thanks for your comment. Perhaps it would be better (for some). Myself I like loooong pieces, so my first priority would be to increase the whole composition, mainly by increasing breaks. But I may at one point also make a shorter "Radio" edit.

Sorry my internet went funny and I think I clicked more than once as it was stuck.

Nothing at all wrong with long pieces. For a lot of listeners though they would often need a lot more development and changing around of ideas.

JazzyClarinetMan wrote:
DKDiveDude wrote:

Sorry my internet went funny and I think I clicked more than once as it was stuck.

Nothing at all wrong with long pieces. For a lot of listeners though they would often need a lot more development and changing around of ideas.
'
If I was developing for the main stream "market", making my compositions shorter, as most are "longer, would definitely be a priority. But since I only compose as a hobby for my own pleasure, like a hobby painter who has a need to be creative, I just make what I like. I post a link in various forums just in case their might be one or two other in the galaxy who have the same taste ;)

Nice sound palette and rhythms, reminds me of The Shamen's Axis Mutatis album. I'd differ and say it's not long enough, the klf-esque middle section could easily be twice as long - imo it doesn't provide a long enough break from the main progression to make the reintroduction of the main theme as impactful as it could be. And the synth build up could be 4 bars instead of 2 there too but that's personal preference. Atmospheric and would make a terrific soundtrack to a post-apocalyptic film :clap:
mmm nice trak

That's a great tune.

My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9.5
Mix - 8

Overall - 8.75

Comments: Mix a little on the dull side. Not sure what's causing it. The one synth is in need of some major EQ. It just sounds dead. Maybe compression will help. Don't know. Not a mix expert by any stretch of the imagination. Otherwise, well done. Lots of energy and enough variance to keep it interesting.

steve wrote:Nice sound palette and rhythms, reminds me of The Shamen's Axis Mutatis album. I'd differ and say it's not long enough, the klf-esque middle section could easily be twice as long - imo it doesn't provide a long enough break from the main progression to make the reintroduction of the main theme as impactful as it could be. And the synth build up could be 4 bars instead of 2 there too but that's personal preference. Atmospheric and would make a terrific soundtrack to a post-apocalyptic film :clap:
Thanks a lot for your comments. I've been working on another edm track which will probably be released tomorrow. Then I will work on two other versions of this tune, a short "radio" edit and a longer for people like you and me :)

Anyways where exactly would you like to see a longer break?

wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9.5
Mix - 8

Overall - 8.75

Comments: Mix a little on the dull side. Not sure what's causing it. The one synth is in need of some major EQ. It just sounds dead. Maybe compression will help. Don't know. Not a mix expert by any stretch of the imagination. Otherwise, well done. Lots of energy and enough variance to keep it interesting.
Thank you very much for your comment. What synth (track) are you referring to? I

DKDiveDude wrote:
wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9.5
Mix - 8

Overall - 8.75

Thank you very much for your comment. What synth (track) are you referring to? I
It's the one in the background. Sounds like a plucked supersaw of some kind but not really sure. It's in the lower register.

DKDiveDude wrote:for people like you and me :)

Anyways where exactly would you like to see a longer break?
lol :)

Personally I'd cut the bass line at 3:23 keeping the current 4 bars there with the same synth pattern and drums before splicing in another 4 or 8 bars of drums of building up the percussion and additional sounds to lead you into the synthy movement which you already have there which builds very nicely as is back into the main theme. So in essence increasing that break so that you are away from the main chord progression for longer making it feel fresher when it comes back.

Someone mentioned the sound of the mix, I'd say possibly your bass drum is too close to the bass synth causing a bit of mud, so it may be worth trying cutting some of the lower frequencies off the bass drum (or some width off the bass) to make it more of a lighter kick? Could be my speakers though. Have fun :)
mmm nice trak

Return to “Music Cafe”