How to layer bass frequencies?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Juljan
KVRist
113 posts since 3 Apr, 2014

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:35 am

Hi there,

recently I tried to layer two different basses which ended up right here ...

So: I have one bass playing long legato notes on the one side, on the other a more rhythmic eighth note one. Firstly, I just had the short one but I found out that it could be more massive by another bass (which should be longer so that I get long low frequencies). I then realized that both basses together are not bad but it felt like it could be way to much. Otherwise cutting resulted in a poor result, like anything was missing.

Do you have any tips (and also in general) how to layer bass frequencies properly?

Thanks! :phones:

- Juljan

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
23185 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Re: How to layer bass frequencies?

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Juljan wrote:Hi there,

So: I have one bass playing long legato notes on the one side, on the other a more rhythmic eighth note one.
Do you mean you have the two basslines panned hard left & hard right? Usually you would have your bass (& kick) dead centre.

So far as layering two basses goes, I would have one of them as a sub , tuned at least an octave below the other.

Juljan
KVRist

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:38 pm

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Juljan wrote:Hi there,

So: I have one bass playing long legato notes on the one side, on the other a more rhythmic eighth note one.
Do you mean you have the two basslines panned hard left & hard right? Usually you would have your bass (& kick) dead centre.

So far as layering two basses goes, I would have one of them as a sub bass, tuned at least an octave below the other bass.

No, no, no, I am sorry for confusing you. :D I just wanted to differentiate the two basses. Of course the bass frequencies are completely mono and centered.

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
2890 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:21 pm

If you have multiple basslines playing lowest fundamental, they need to be phase-aligned. Of course this assumes the phase of oscillator can be reset for both of basslines.
If oscillator is free-running, better highpass it and add low end manually, with a sine simple patch with fixed phase.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Juljan
KVRist

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:18 am

Thanks, I will give that a try! :phones:

SOcial3ntropi
KVRer
1 posts since 24 Sep, 2018

Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:03 am

Depending on the genre you should consider not mix the low bass like below 80hz. You can play the bass with best low end to your ears and highpass the other at crossover frequency which is around 80 to 100 hz on bassheavy electronic music.

Samplecraze
KVRist
320 posts since 9 Aug, 2004

Post Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:12 am

A technique I have had success with but it really is material dependent is to layer two basses but work the harmonics of one. I might have the low end bass at say 80Hz but I will tweak the second bass's 160Hz. It doesn't always work because what you are generally after with low end layering is er low end and only low end, but it can be a good starting point. The other technique that works is to use opposing eqs much like the Pultec design of boosting and cutting at the same frequency which then creates a small shelf bump. I have tamed a low of my bass issues just by selecting the right equaliser.

VELLTONE MUSIC
KVRian
510 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Bulgaria

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:26 am

bass mud is probably result of mixing few low frequencies,not a law over 80-100 hz for bass i like two or three layears to go till 37-38hz but the kick fade so have to use sidechain or else like touch the composition,not a mixing engeneer just like to experiment.Cheerz :)

Chris Walton
KVRAF
2160 posts since 25 Jan, 2007 from the back room, away from his wife's sight (or so he thinks)

Post Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Kinda been said already, but I'll say it in a different way: Decide which one of the two should have the very low frequencies, the ones that shake the floor rather than move the body. Highpass the living daylight out of the other one (100Hz at least, but in most cases, try to corroborate roughly with a harmonic of the lowest note that's being played - use a spectrum analyzer if necessary). Then, do the usual EQing to get them both to mix (you might actually choke out all of the higher frequency stuff of the lower one).
Full-time Daddy and Software Developer
Part-time Musician and Smartass
Zero-time Intelligent Being
Formerly known as arke, VladimirDimitrievich, bslf, and ctmg. Yep, those bans were deserved.

Return to “Production Techniques”