What makes a synth suitable for "electronic dance music"?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
vurt
addled muppet weed
37102 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:46 am

:lol:

Grizzellda
KVRist
489 posts since 21 Feb, 2015

Re: What makes a synth suitable for "electronic dance music"?

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:42 pm

whyterabbyt wrote:
Grizzellda wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Grizzellda wrote:They are ignoring me!

But see, now I know, that they know, that they are ignoring me! :dog: :hihi: :D :lol: :dog: :hihi: :lol: 8) 8)
FWIW, regarding your question whether i meant you with my 2nd last post, i don't, don't worry. :D Unless you are into modular fart sounds, then, my apologies. ;)
Nice to hear! :hihi:

As for modular fart sounds, I'll think about it. 8)
Well, you dont have to, you could just memorise the ''Ten Handy Ways to Deflect Your Childish Envy of Other People's Gear" appendix of 'EDM Presets for Dummies' instead.
WOW! super cool post, by a super cool poster, but wait!

You say I am childish & envious? Hmmm...

Alright, well I have considered your comments, but I still find myself rather preoccupied...busy really,

But busy with what, old timer? :hihi:

Well, because I am too busy reading my new favorite book, have you heard of it?

Sure, well It is called "How to deflect arrogant forum posts for Dummies" by John Q. Reflective Light Glare. A well respected author...

Yeah, so put that in your pipe & smoke it.

SNARKY!!! :hihi: :lol: :hihi: :lol:

SciFiArtMan
KVRian
1033 posts since 24 May, 2006 from Our Amazing Oasis in Space - USA Section

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:43 pm

The only property a synth needs to be suitable for "electronic dance music" is that it sounds like other synths that have been used to make "electronic dance music"! See how easy!

Grizzellda
KVRist

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:21 pm

SciFiArtMan wrote:The only property a synth needs to be suitable for "electronic dance music" is that it sounds like other synths that have been used to make "electronic dance music"! See how easy!
You might be correct, here. :hug:

But still, this is a boring post...well, after all, there is nothing to argue about here. There is nuthin' to take issue with...

What the heck is wrong with you SciFiArtMan? Hey...please be more controversal, if ya think you wanna be on KVR. :lol: :hihi: :lol: :hihi:

Or to put it another way:

"Get with the program, citizen" :hihi: :hihi:

SciFiArtMan
KVRian

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:40 pm

Grizzellda wrote:
SciFiArtMan wrote:The only property a synth needs to be suitable for "electronic dance music" is that it sounds like other synths that have been used to make "electronic dance music"! See how easy!
You might be correct, here. :hug:

But still, this is a boring post...well, after all, there is nothing to argue about here. There is nuthin' to take issue with...

What the heck is wrong with you SciFiArtMan? Hey...please be more controversal, if ya think you wanna be on KVR. :lol: :hihi: :lol: :hihi:

Or to put it another way:

"Get with the program, citizen" :hihi: :hihi:
Haha! I actually thought it was quite a cutting comment!

I never get the obsession of so many synth users with sounding like someone else, and sounding like some old synth!? Synths were always about exploring the future, for me. But then I don't agree with most facets of so-called modern mankind, so whata ya gonna do... :)

Grizzellda
KVRist

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:22 pm

Oh, golly, modern mankind? well, care to be any more specific...that is quite a generalization.

But hey, I think maybe I get it, well simply surfing the forum energy, and digg'n that. :hihi: 8) :hihi: 8)

Ever read any Carlos Casteneda...stuff?

recursive one
KVRAF
3646 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:05 pm

SciFiArtMan wrote: I never get the obsession of so many synth users with sounding like someone else, and sounding like some old synth!? Synths were always about exploring the future, for me.
Well, that innovation vs imitation thing.

Imitation - I think it's one of the ways to learn, maybe not the best one but an efficient one. When you learn how to make a most generic supersaw pluck you learn how unison and stereo spread work, how envleopes work, how filters work, how this all influences the sound and what happens at different settings.

Innovation - If you actually try to understand what you are doing when making that supersaw pluck and not just copy the settings from a youtube video, you can apply what you had just learned to any sound, including those nobody had ever heard before you made them.

Also I believe what actually matters is talent, if you have it your music will shine, no matter if you pursue the most mainstream and cliched genre or do something mind-blowingly original and experimental.

My 2c :)
Last edited by recursive one on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...

martinjuenke
KVRAF
2178 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:48 pm

Don‘t feed the troll, especially when he‘s hyperventilating... :borg:

Music was my first love...
Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

SciFiArtMan
KVRian

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:14 pm

Grizzellda wrote:Ever read any Carlos Casteneda...stuff?
Funny you should ask. Well, I've eaten enough peyote to believe I read some Castaneda. Vonnegut, Alan Watts, and Larry Niven were more my flavors, but it's all good!

SciFiArtMan
KVRian

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:26 pm

recursive one wrote:Well, that innovation vs imitation thing.
I wish I could say I don't understand your analogy, but I paid more to get a Ric 4001 bass back in the day so I could sound like Chris Squire, so I know that road all too well.

Yeah talent, and how the muses whisper to your soul makes all the difference. But how would I know. It's all a mystery to me, and I strangely enjoy the mystical search in the dark void.

I should probably keep my nose outta EDM threads. I just thought my idea of so many EDM producers trying to sound like others was funny/sad. Now I realize those shoes fit me as well, or at least did at one time. Nevermind...

recursive one
KVRAF
3646 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:59 pm

SciFiArtMan wrote: so many EDM producers trying to sound like others
Sure they do. It's actually may be very depressing to browse through fresh psytrance releases and hear the same sounds, the same track structure, the same simple acid riff or 3-note arpeggio pattern instead of a melody over and over again.

But sometimes someone mixes these old sounds with some fresh ones, or does a new take on the old sounds, and (which is the most important part), puts a great memorable melody into the track, or creates a really catchy groove or a strong atmosphere. Some people just can take what is good in the genre and add someting fresh to it on their own or just execute the tried and tested patterns in a very good way because they feel inspired. A really good track is maybe 1 in 100 but if wouldn't be even made if these 99 not so good tracks hadn't been made before. I think it's quite hard to make something valuable without following the known patterns at all, some people can do this but this takes more than just being talented.

Well, I don't really know. I don't even think I've got any talent myself but I know what I love listening to and what I want to make - for my own personal enjoyment, nothing more.
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...

Grizzellda
KVRist

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:12 am

martinjuenke wrote:Don‘t feed the troll, especially when he‘s hyperventilating... :borg:

Explain? This thread seems pretty reasonable. I don't think anyone is trolling.

If you disagree, please state your position.

Grizzellda
KVRist

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:16 am

SciFiArtMan wrote:
Grizzellda wrote:Ever read any Carlos Casteneda...stuff?
Funny you should ask. Well, I've eaten enough peyote to believe I read some Castaneda. Vonnegut, Alan Watts, and Larry Niven were more my flavors, but it's all good!
Uber cool! :hihi: :hihi:

SciFiArtMan
KVRian

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:17 am

recursive one wrote:A really good track is maybe 1 in 100 but if wouldn't be even made if these 99 not so good tracks hadn't been made before.
I can agree with that idea. I mean, what a shame it would be if that 1 (out of a 100) song was never created!? However it happens, good and great music is always welcome.

Look at all the songs (270+ and counting) based on some variation of the I–V–vi–IV progression, including some very good songs too, IMO!

Now I feel like I've been denied my evil fun of ridiculing others! Oh well, I best get back to creating and modifying patches while pretending to be advancing my music!

Synthman2000
KVRian
516 posts since 27 Apr, 2016

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:05 am

SciFiArtMan wrote:
recursive one wrote:Well, that innovation vs imitation thing.
I wish I could say I don't understand your analogy, but I paid more to get a Ric 4001 bass back in the day so I could sound like Chris Squire, so I know that road all too well.

Yeah talent, and how the muses whisper to your soul makes all the difference. But how would I know. It's all a mystery to me, and I strangely enjoy the mystical search in the dark void.

I should probably keep my nose outta EDM threads. I just thought my idea of so many EDM producers trying to sound like others was funny/sad. Now I realize those shoes fit me as well, or at least did at one time. Nevermind...
When a musician starts to play music they have to learn a chord, that chord has been played by a couple of million people. There has to be a reference point. Other wise play 3 random, notes and hope for the best. That is experimental, but also most likely discordant rubbish.

We are evoked/inspired by something we hear and as is often the case we wonder how to get there as it would be satifying to be able to make a variation on a great theme. Some make a very successful career covering great songs, some play excellent guitar when copying their favourite solo's, licks and riffs and yet could not make a song or compose themselves to save their life. There are musicians and creative musicians, DAW programmers and creative DAW programmers.

Emulation is fine but a creative has a vision, this is the difference IMO.

We all have to start somewhere.

If we get philosophical, everything you are, have become and will be comes from anywhere but inside yourself. Borrowed themes and a collection of memories, merely a reflection of external experience.

Return to “Instruments”