Fantasy Theme (Orchestral)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm currently experimenting with new harmonies that are also dissonant. I've written a piece using modulation and also dissonant chords, especially in regards to the piano+choir/strings.

I am new to this approach and I feel like that my piece lacks some dynamics in the strings. I have not yet programmed dynamics or expression.

Please take a listen to it, and tell me what you feel about it. I am very curious to know what people think of this piece, it is a completely new method for me.

https://soundcloud.com/mediumaevum-artist/journey-edge

I enjoyed this - a good listen!

Didn't really find it that much more dissonant than your other tracks...just a little bit in some sections. It certainly works overall.

It's still quite dominated by those 'medieval' olde worlde harmonies underneath everything...nothing wrong with them, but you do use them all the time! :)

Dipping your toe further into dissonance, try experimenting with:

1) More complex chords such as the various 7ths and 9ths?

2) Try out some suspended chords?

3) Try a little bit of horizontal composing...just write two completely functional melodies that you try and make work together...don't worry too much about chords at first...you can look at underlying harmonies later.

ChamMusic wrote:I enjoyed this - a good listen!

Didn't really find it that much more dissonant than your other tracks...just a little bit in some sections. It certainly works overall.

It's still quite dominated by those 'medieval' olde worlde harmonies underneath everything...nothing wrong with them, but you do use them all the time! :)

3) Try a little bit of horizontal composing...just write two completely functional melodies that you try and make work together...don't worry too much about chords at first...you can look at underlying harmonies later.
Thanks for your critique, unfortunately I will have to use them only in future tracks, as my PC crashed and gone is my project file.

I will certainly explore more chords, like the 7ths and 9ths.
I already did the horizontal composition in this piece, as the cello and violins are playing - to my ears - functional melodies. I didn't worry much about the underlying harmonies when writing the countermelodies in this piece.

mediumaevum wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:I enjoyed this - a good listen!

Thanks for your critique, unfortunately I will have to use them only in future tracks, as my PC crashed and gone is my project file.

I will certainly explore more chords, like the 7ths and 9ths.
I already did the horizontal composition in this piece, as the cello and violins are playing - to my ears - functional melodies. I didn't worry much about the underlying harmonies when writing the countermelodies in this piece.

Aargh! that project file...that's unfortunate!

"Composing-wise just keep doing it with an open mind and you'll continue to develop."

That's sort of been one of my mantras for the last 40 years! :0)

mediumaevum wrote:I am new to this approach and I feel like that my piece lacks some dynamics in the strings.
While I don't disagree with that, it was the choir that jumped out. More pauses (at least for breath every now and then) would help. It also sounds particularly busy when you have shorter notes (release?). Maybe - if you haven't already - move each voice to a separate instance/channel. Make sure they're monophonic and spend a bit of time getting the choir to sound more real in terms of performance.

Return to “Music Cafe”