Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
User avatar
Allomerus
KVRAF
2109 posts since 28 Aug, 2012 from Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Started this with with Paul on drums playing along to a track. I still don't know what it is. The rest was added after…

John Wegner: Bass, Guitar and Synths
Paul Wegner: Drums and Percussion

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W1441ZPQHg
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
4841 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:34 pm

A weird stew. A mystery soundtrack with some Arabic themes, a dash of Eddie Floyd's "Knock on Wood" and a generous serving of bombast. Oddly compelling.

ChamMusic
KVRian
893 posts since 12 Jun, 2006

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:06 am

Frantz wrote:A weird stew. A mystery soundtrack with some Arabic themes, a dash of Eddie Floyd's "Knock on Wood" and a generous serving of bombast. Oddly compelling.
Frantz has summed up my view very well!

I've listened twice and very much enjoyed it despite the fact that it's quite disparate in its styles and influences. The fact that it all somehow hangs together so effectively has to be down to the skill of the Wegners! :)

On the second listen, I did think that maybe the long chilled first section might be something where I would consider adding in another subtle layer or two for even more slow rise? Of course that might ruin the atmosphere as I haven't actually tried it!

User avatar
folderol
KVRAF
4741 posts since 5 Aug, 2006 from UK - Here!

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:07 am

Agree with the others. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, although all the 'sections' stand up well on their own.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13950 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:35 pm

My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 9
Performance - 10
Mix - 10

Overall - 9.25

Comments: Tried not to be influenced by the comments so far because I'm a prog rock freak. But yeah, this is like all over the place. Don't know what to make of it. One thing for sure is that it wasn't boring because I never knew what to expect next. Believe it or not though, this definitely has hints of early Gentle Giant. They could be extremely odd at times as well. Anyway, in spite of its schizophrenia, I enjoyed listening to this. Would have enjoyed it more if it had some quirky prog rock vocals with those esoteric lyrics talking about the meaning of life or some nonsense like that.

fastlanephil
KVRian
632 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:31 pm

I pretty much agree with Franz but also hear maybe some channeling of Frank Zappa.

Quite in your face but in a good way.

:tu:?

User avatar
Allomerus
KVRAF
2109 posts since 28 Aug, 2012 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:30 am

Frantz wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:34 pm
A weird stew. A mystery soundtrack with some Arabic themes, a dash of Eddie Floyd's "Knock on Wood" and a generous serving of bombast. Oddly compelling.
Thanks Franz! Oddly compelling.... I like that! Listened to the original "Knock on Wood" but didn't hear what you heard. Any part in particular?
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

User avatar
Allomerus
KVRAF
2109 posts since 28 Aug, 2012 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:33 am

ChamMusic wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:06 am
Frantz wrote:A weird stew. A mystery soundtrack with some Arabic themes, a dash of Eddie Floyd's "Knock on Wood" and a generous serving of bombast. Oddly compelling.
Frantz has summed up my view very well!

I've listened twice and very much enjoyed it despite the fact that it's quite disparate in its styles and influences. The fact that it all somehow hangs together so effectively has to be down to the skill of the Wegners! :)

On the second listen, I did think that maybe the long chilled first section might be something where I would consider adding in another subtle layer or two for even more slow rise? Of course that might ruin the atmosphere as I haven't actually tried it!
Thanks Mark! I really wanted to make something a bit different. The fact that you think it hangs together is reassuring. Not sure that I want to make it longer though. The whole track was based on Paul's drumming and I'd like to leave that as is.
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

User avatar
Allomerus
KVRAF
2109 posts since 28 Aug, 2012 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:38 am

wagtunes wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:35 pm
My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 9
Performance - 10
Mix - 10

Overall - 9.25

Comments: Tried not to be influenced by the comments so far because I'm a prog rock freak. But yeah, this is like all over the place. Don't know what to make of it. One thing for sure is that it wasn't boring because I never knew what to expect next. Believe it or not though, this definitely has hints of early Gentle Giant. They could be extremely odd at times as well. Anyway, in spite of its schizophrenia, I enjoyed listening to this. Would have enjoyed it more if it had some quirky prog rock vocals with those esoteric lyrics talking about the meaning of life or some nonsense like that.
Thanks Wags! I must be listening to some out-there stuff, to me it doesn't sound "all over the place". Although it is "schizophrenic". Maybe you hit the nail on the head. We do love early Gentle Giant! I do put vocals on some tracks, although, I hadn't considered any for this.
mmmm...
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

User avatar
Allomerus
KVRAF
2109 posts since 28 Aug, 2012 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:39 am

fastlanephil wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:31 pm
I pretty much agree with Franz but also hear maybe some channeling of Frank Zappa.

Quite in your face but in a good way.

:tu:?
Thanks Phil! Frank Zappa is an influence... Osmosis in action perhaps. :)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

aaron aardvark
KVRian
1482 posts since 22 Jan, 2011 from near Los Angeles

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:44 am

Allomerus,
I know what it is! It is Australian, mate! Thank you for your recent song review. Now your song (which does sound prog at times): the video definitely adds to the experience. How did you get video footage of the CIA? ;) The timing between the song and video is perfect. That must have taken some time. The video shots of the Milky Way are very cool. I know it's not easy recording real drums: the drum playing and audio quality are very good! I probably would have added more reverb on the vocal synth parts, but otherwise everything sounds quite good. If your drummer did not play to a click track (which he probably didn't), the timing of everything is all the more impressive. The whole enchilada (includes all audio quality) was an enjoyable experience! :)

User avatar
Allomerus
KVRAF
2109 posts since 28 Aug, 2012 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:48 am

aaron aardvark wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:44 am
Allomerus,
I know what it is! It is Australian, mate! Thank you for your recent song review. Now your song (which does sound prog at times): the video definitely adds to the experience. How did you get video footage of the CIA? ;) The timing between the song and video is perfect. That must have taken some time. The video shots of the Milky Way are very cool. I know it's not easy recording real drums: the drum playing and audio quality are very good! I probably would have added more reverb on the vocal synth parts, but otherwise everything sounds quite good. If your drummer did not play to a click track (which he probably didn't), the timing of everything is all the more impressive. The whole enchilada (includes all audio quality) was an enjoyable experience! :)
Thanks Aaron! Paul just played this straight into 4 tracks. Two overheads, snare and kick. Then I put the music to his beat... Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for your feedback.
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
4841 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:33 pm

Allomerus wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:30 am
Listened to the original "Knock on Wood" but didn't hear what you heard. Any part in particular?
After listening to both again, they are really not that similar. Can I withdraw the comparison? :clown:

User avatar
Allomerus
KVRAF
2109 posts since 28 Aug, 2012 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:12 am

Frantz wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:33 pm
Allomerus wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:30 am
Listened to the original "Knock on Wood" but didn't hear what you heard. Any part in particular?
After listening to both again, they are really not that similar. Can I withdraw the comparison? :clown:
Consider it withdrawn... :) Thanks for your thoughts.
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

User avatar
ATS
KVRAF
5985 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Re: Allomerus - I Have a Secret. Prog Rock

Post Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:09 am

like a cross between King Crimson and Emerson, Lake & Palmer. I enjoyed it. :tu:
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls ~ Pablo Picasso

Return to “Music Cafe”