New Mac. latest stable OSX ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

finally migrating to MAC from windows. Planning on running Logic X as main DAW, but i owe a copy of Cubase 6.5 and Pro tools. But mainly I'll be using Logic X, Cubase and PT would just a back up to pull up old projects if needed.

I was planning to install on Mavericks but a friend told me there are are still some incompatible audio drivers and software fro mavericks and its better to get Mountain Lion.

I'm assuming he meant the latest (10.8.6) version of mountain lion?
or is the mavericks incompatibility already old news or is it still not recommend?

the list of software I'm using (which i'm planning to move to mac also):

Logic X, Cubase 6.5, ProTools, Reason 5

PLug ins:

Focusrite Liquid MIX 32, melodyne, few waves, Sonnox, Sound toys, IK multimedia, native instruments.

Instruments:

Spectrasonics, NI Komplete, refx Nexus, KORG legacy, steinberg virtual guitarist 2, hypersonic 2.

Presonus Universal Control: StudioLive 16.4.2.
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

gone
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OK. thanks for the info, so OSX 10.8.6 it is fro me, for now

Unfortunately got mavericks. App Store allowed me to get Mountain lion but I couldn't burn in to disk.

TS-12 wrote:Unfortunately got mavericks. App Store allowed me to get Mountain lion but I couldn't burn in to disk.
I haven't tried this from Mavericks but there shouldn't be a showstopper to getting an ML installation image onto something like a USB drive. You do need to use something like Disk Utility to do it (scroll down the page for this link as I'm guessing Lion DIskmaker doesn't work on 10.9):

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/ho ... tall-disk/

Last Lion… Maverick is slowwww… I have a brand new Mac mini and was glad it came with 10.8.5. They keep trying to get me to take them up on my "free" upgrade to Maverick and I'm like uh, No!

recently got 2012 macbook. no OS. what OSX should I install thats most compatible with audio plugins and stable ?

TS-12 wrote:recently got 2012 macbook. no OS. what OSX should I install thats most compatible with audio plugins and stable ?
Do you have more specs? 13"? 15"? RAM? SSD or HDD?
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

TS-12 wrote:recently got 2012 macbook. no OS. what OSX should I install thats most compatible with audio plugins and stable ?

I say Sierra (10.12.6).....

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-s ... ls=1&mt=12

that link comes from this support page......
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

once mojave comes out later this month that link may not be functional anymore, so I would do it sooner rather than later.

rsp
sound sculptist

Agree. I would go with Sierra right now – if you can get it. High Sierra has some weirdness with the new filesystem that can upset some software (though not in a serious way).

I'm still on Sierra and everything is running very smoothly. I tested out High Sierra and experienced some odd graphical slowdowns, so reverted back. Hopefully Mojave, like iOS 12, is a more refined and optimized release. It will also be the last version of macOS to fully support 32-bit applications, so this will probably be my final upgrade for a while.

dupe
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High Sierra has been mostly smooth. I have one annoying problem: first, because I have an external display with speakers in addition to the MBP speakers I needed to create an audio device for Nuendo to even hear it in my headphones; 'Multiple Output'. Here's the annoyance: at times the audio freaks out, sounds like everything is broken and I have to go in and reconfigure to sort it out. I think this is the OS. ;)

Spitfire LABS AU opens with no interface at all, as a new instance. Extant instances load with a botched interface and a link 'Something bad happened!' or like that, to a page which doesn't exist. But everything else has worked.

I wouldn't have chosen High Sierra, I have no choice with this machine.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”