So what are today's top synths anyway?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know about "today's top synths" in a Top 40 sense, but this is what still does it for me despite going mostly hardware:

Aalto, because there isn't enough West Coast in software -- but this one holds its own against Eurorack modules where it comes to linear TZFM. Also the waveguide is fantastic.

Arturia Buchla Easel V, because it's the runner-up for West Coast stuff; it's fun and reasonably authentic. The LPG is better than Aalto's for my tastes. The add-on FX and features are generally less good. Getting to know this synth gave me a new perspective on modular patching.

LuSH-101, because it's the only subtractive-centered softsynth I bother with anymore. (I'm not interested in arguments about which filters are better or whether the SH-101 was even a good synth, I just like this one.)

ChipSynth PortaFM, because it hits my nostalgia buttons so hard and it really is a nice little synthesis engine when you're not playing it through a 30-cent speaker in a cheap plastic keyboard body. :D

ArcSyn for its embrace of digital weirdness and its crazy LFO system. Not my favorite UI to use, though.

Today's top synths are the ones that you used in your projects and got positive results with...

And if we are to consider "ikigai",then it would be the ones that you enjoyed using :)
No auto tune...

Roman Wisniak wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:06 pm Rapid? Who wants to invest in NFR synth for 138.36€ (what a "great" bargain).
why buy it in the first place if you are going into it to sell later. You'll end up losing money.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

it is idiotic to buy a NFR license... like throwing away cash money or wiping your ass with it and flushing it down the commode. for one no one knows the future and MANY fall into hardship or just get out of the business for one reason or the other and need anything they can get back out of their investments. and TWO the company that sells this way is trying to FORCE more profits into their own personal coffers out of greed disregarding the needs of their customer base pure and simple.
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

ATS wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:20 am
Roman Wisniak wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:06 pm Rapid? Who wants to invest in NFR synth for 138.36€ (what a "great" bargain).
why buy it in the first place if you are going into it to sell later. You'll end up losing money.
Yeah, I never understood why people are so hung up on that. Just Demo it thoroughly beforehand and if you don't like it don't buy it! :shrug:

(can't follow the reasoning of the previous poster)

Bazille is my favorite... the character and quality of sounds I get from it are unique and just do it for me!

RePro is runner up!

My tuppence worth would see a vote for alchemy. It has a very broad sweet spot and just plops down nicely into the mix without much fuss.

jacqueslacouth wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:09 am My tuppence worth would see a vote for alchemy. It has a very broad sweet spot and just plops down nicely into the mix without much fuss.
Agreed, Alchemy is unreal, Made almost every other Stock Synth in Logic obsolete for me, It's THAT good.
It sucks however that it's a Logic Exclusive now...
I miss using it when i'm not using Logic, I'd pay for an AU/VST version that could be used in Non Logic Programs like Ableton or even, and I highly doubt apple would ever do this, Bringing it Back to Windows.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:25 am
jacqueslacouth wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:09 am My tuppence worth would see a vote for alchemy. It has a very broad sweet spot and just plops down nicely into the mix without much fuss.
Agreed, Alchemy is unreal, Made almost every other Stock Synth in Logic obsolete for me, It's THAT good.
Except for Sculpture... It's that good :)

SparkySpark wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:16 pm Software synths have come a long way and even low-cost and freeware synths are now incredibly powerful. But what are the top software synths at the moment (and why)?

I'm not asking for replies such as:
  • "it depends on your genre",
  • "Noise Maker because it's free",
  • "the synth you know how to program best",
  • "MPS because there are almost no controls"
or the like, but rather:
  • "Omnisphere because the oscs are fantastic",
  • "Gladiator because you can do anything with it",
  • "xxx from PPG because...".
So, price aside, which synths are the crème de la crème today? (And yes, I'm really wondering, not just polling for fun.)

Thanks!
so what criteria are you wanting us to use to get a list of top ten synths?

pdxindy wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:25 am
Spencer Maddox wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:25 am
Except for Sculpture... It's that good :)
I also love ES2. Fattest unison ever.
Yes, Alchemy, Sculpture and ES2 would be enough synths for me. Not sure why i ever bought third party synths :D
But Alchemy and Sculpture are indeed 2 of the most unique synths.
And Apple still update them (even the old Sculpture got a high resolution mode after years).

pdxindy wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:56 am Bazille is my favorite... the character and quality of sounds I get from it are unique and just do it for me!
+1 !!!
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Zebra 3, so awesome (if it ever arrives)
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

MadDogE134 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:30 am it is idiotic to buy a NFR license... like throwing away cash money or wiping your ass with it and flushing it down the commode.
BS. When you thoroughly demo'd, and made up your mind, there's nothing wrong with buying something you really want. I never buy to sell. I buy because i want. Or need.

Flexion.....

Return to “Instruments”