Frankly impossible to take FXpansion seriously at this point.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

epiphanius wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:15 pm Curious: would Alchemy in Logic read patches created in the old Windows version?
In principle yes, but the results are quite arbitrary...

One more reason to stick to DAW stock plugins.
dedication to flying

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:26 pm What really happened is that FXPansion is dead. Roli killed it for the instruments they were interested in. What they should do is sell off the other plugins they don’t care about to another developer.
Like i said, earlier, Roli alluded to some future plan in which current owners might benefit...Or did I dream that? :scared:

Anyway, the more I think of this the more I think that this 'might' turn out to be retrospectively viewed as the right thing to have done. If, as I suspect, they are in the process of consolidating the functionality of various disparate plugins, then stopping any new copies being sold makes a huge amount of sense...for both customer and developer.

So! I'm calling it:

- Various elements of tremor's functionality to be rolled into Geist 3.

- All previous effects plugs to become part of a multi-fx plug; Modular, if you like.

epiphanius wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:15 pm Curious: would Alchemy in Logic read patches created in the old Windows version?
Should do - I find it plays my legacy patches fine and I have pretty much every bank there was.

Belinski wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:59 pm Strange thread ! Welcome to capitalism guys,

...etc...
Strange argument this. Consumers discussing their preferred support policies and choosing to avoid some suppliers in a competitive market... is absolutely part of how markets are meant to work.

rod_zero wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:09 pm One more reason to stick to DAW stock plugins.
Yes! :tu:

I didn't know they dropped Tremor. That is ridiculously stupid. Guess Roli doesn't care though, end of story. The FXPansion guys must have a nice health care plan now.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

I’ve never known a company that drops product support as quickly as fxpansion. Native instrument is a distance second, though. In their defense, it has to do more with changing their entire architecture over to Kontakt and Reaktor instruments.

JunSev wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:49 pm [snip...]By the way is good if your moog is working, still in 50 years my software will continue efficient and like new always,.
Do you honestly believe you will be using the same software you have now in 50 years? 50 years ago was 1968.... I dont know anyone running software from 1968 except vintage computer enthusiasts and maybe some banks running on legacy system. But... whatever... *backs away slowly* :phones:

last minimoog I used died a few years later

martinjuenke wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:56 pm
rod_zero wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:09 pm One more reason to stick to DAW stock plugins.
Yes! :tu:
Nope, nopity nope

plexuss wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:23 am
JunSev wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:49 pm [snip...]By the way is good if your moog is working, still in 50 years my software will continue efficient and like new always,.
Do you honestly believe you will be using the same software you have now in 50 years? 50 years ago was 1968.... I dont know anyone running software from 1968 except vintage computer enthusiasts and maybe some banks running on legacy system. But... whatever... *backs away slowly* :phones:
Certainly the times always change, but what if I wanna be a retro guy or I would like to cotinue using old gems of the past (I think that there is a tread here on kvr about that), I mean weren't all those synths of the past we try to emulate and eventually getting there still sounding beautiful and we like the sound that comes from it? then why I wouldn't use those synths even if it has like 50 years (yeah in a realistic case)? because is software? it will continue being my super synth or my super plug-in effect.

Of course I will try to be updated always, but facts are facts, softwares already won this battle a long time ago; quality of sound, versatility, convenience... that's right and is what it is...

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:25 am Imho the best Fx pansion products mostly relied on external coders
Synthsquad dsp engine = Andrew Simper (cytomic )
Guru ( remember ?) = Devine M achine , + steve duda
These were pretty solid products and almost bug free >
When the new wave of fx pansions plugins came , the overal user experience left a lot to be desired , buggy etc ...the acquisation by roli made things even worse
This used to be one of my favourite companies , not so any more
I think they used contractors for most if not all their products.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

We need to remember it isn't the same company any more, it's owned by ROLI and they're owned by venture capital. From Wikipedia :

"ROLI's Series A fundraising in 2014 raised $12.8 million, followed by a $27 million Series B fundraising in 2016. In April 2017 ROLI raised debt funding from Kreos Capital, this was to cover costs incurred by building inventory, launching new products and establishing new retail channels according to a spokesperson at ROLI.

ROLI has offices in London, New York, and Los Angeles and sells its products in over 40 countries worldwide.

ROLI has acquired the following companies: JUCE, FXpansion, and Blend.

ROLI has named Pharrell Williams as Chief Creative Officer."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROLI

It's no good attacking FXpansion, ROLI can jettison that brand whenever they like. They're spending big, the revenues aren't matching the spending and all of this dwarfs FXpansion issues (which I very much doubt crosses the minds of anyone at ROLI, hence this thread getting so far). Check this out : https://musically.com/2018/06/05/music- ... from-sony/

According to companycheck, it's got 4 active directors : https://companycheck.co.uk/company/0704 ... house-data . One is Roland Lamb himself, another is from Balderton Capital, who seem to have provided the series A funding : https://www.balderton.com/news/investme ... raise-27m/ Another is from FirstMark Capital in NY, who we might deduce provided part of the series B funding, and the last is ROLI's "Director of Leadership".

Note that none of these are Angus, inferring he was bought out (as opposed to brought in) probably using some of the Series B funding. So none of this has anything to do with FXpansion as we knew it, that company simply doesn't exist any more. I'm sure Angus sold it in good faith that they'd honour their public commitment towards "continuing to develop and support the FXpansion products that you know and love". https://www.fxpansion.com/news/fxpansion-joins-roli/ Although I'd note the subtle differences between that post and ROLI's : https://roli.com/article/software-innov ... joins-roli . Looks like he's still part of it though : http://cdm.link/2018/09/cyper2-expressive-synths/

Personally, I'm more concerned about JUCE. If that goes down the tubes, half the plugin companies on the planet will have a serious framework dilemma. Their primary product is a niche novelty item, so when things get desperate I'd imagine plan B will be to squeeze every last drop of JUCE out of the market. At which point none of us will care much about our discontinued FXpansion plugins.

Incidentally, what they care about is the perceived value of the brand name ROLI (because they'll need more VC to survive). Change the title of this thread to "FRANKLY IMPOSSIBLE TO TAKE ROLI (FXPANSION) SERIOUSLY AT THIS POINT" and you might start to get somewhere.
Last edited by monomaker on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yea.. I hate to complain but I feel like I have to speak on this.

Geist 2 is easily the most functional drum sampling plugin that i'm aware of. It really has everything from a sound design perspective. Have multiple samples per hit that can individually be delayed by very precise amounts in order to create complex transients, easily modulate tons of parameters on different pads at one time, really great filters and fx, macros, the list goes on.

Unfortunately, as other's have said, it's one of the clunkiest, difficult to read interfaces i've worked with. It is so difficult to see what the hell is going on, and the GUI is slooow at best. It really deserves a significant update to smooth it out. I seriously doubt that will happen but damn, it's such an amazing plugin.

Return to “Instruments”